Register

sandwich fillings

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

sandwich fillings

Postby jaybird » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 pm

I cooked some stuffed mushrooms (breadcrumbs, mixed ground nuts, fresh chopped tomato, sauteed chopped onion, fresh sage, salt, black pepper), and saved a couple.
Next day I made a sandwich. Toasted the bread one side, and with the toasted side on the inside put the stuffed mushroom on, added shredded romaine lettuce and rocket, mayonnaise on the other slice of bread. Wacked it all together. It was really very good, best sandwich for ages'

Anybody else had a good sarnie lately?

Re: sandwich fillings

Postby jeral » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:24 am

On your stuffed mushrooms, I make some using porridge oats (instead of crumbs) and a bit of Marmite, plus sauteed onion and herb as wished. They don't usually get to a sandwich though, grin.

You might like these baked ones: http://www.rosemaryconley.tv/Recipes/St ... rooms.aspx Be warned, the site is slow to load.

I have to say that your idea is far better than just the proverbial sauteed mushrooms and tomatoes on crostini (boring).

Unusual ones - well not really - are:

- Green pesto spread on, chopped sundried toms (jar in oil) and chopped salad onions. Cucumber tends to figure in that sort assuming to be eaten as soon as made.

- (Tinned) artichoke hearts, a few capers, then grill to melt some (V) Emmental or Gruyere on top. Paprika, salt, pepper to taste, preferably on ciabatta.

- Crumbly cheese and pickled beetroot, in a dug out crusty "cob" roll. (Any dug out bread I make into croutons with EVOO in which a bit of garlic has been gently sweated and removed; the croutons can be stored in airtight container.)

Some are just bog standard like banana.

Return to Veggie Chat