Register

Veggi idea needed

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Veggi idea needed

Postby Basic cook » Wed May 09, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi all,

Looking for ideas for a Veggi dish for someone who doesn't eat dairy, eggs, cheese and doesn't like mushrooms, nuts or spicy food and olives.

I'm thinking pasta something. Any help appreciated. I've probably forgotten some other things she doesn't like as well but I think that's all.

Many thanks,

Basic Cook

Re: Veggi idea needed

Postby Basic cook » Wed May 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Me again,

Or fish.
Basic Cook

Postby jeral » Wed May 09, 2012 9:58 pm

I can think of dishes like plaits with puff pastry, or lasagne, though one I like to eat (with similar no-nos) is aubergine, potato, red onion slices and apple, as a layered bake with a "nice" loose tomato sauce to coat the layers. Nice can mean with a herb (like basil or oregano) or garlic or balsamic vinegar/red wine. Parboil slices of waxy spuds for 5 mins, griddle the aubergines and lightly caramelise the red onion slices before layering up. Can have a topping of white sauce - soya milk and cornflour with nutmeg and parsley and hint of dried ginger - or just very coarse bread crumbs that crisp up with a drizzle of olive oil on. For one person, a 1pint pudding dish (can get coloured bistro stylee ones) about 3/4 full, or a very large ramekin. (Or make a big gratin dish and all have some.)

Outside the pot (or the serving if spooned out), a distinct green like broc, fine beans, peas. A little of any white sauce can be held back if the green looks too dry (ensuring of course that the sauce tastes nice).

What are you serving to others? Sometimes it can help to almost echo other guests' food if relevant.

Postby Catherine » Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Maybe something like ratatouille with tofu

Asparagus tart

Or something like this?
http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/f ... sushi.aspx

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 13, 2012 9:03 am

Basic cook wrote:doesn't eat dairy, eggs, cheese and doesn't like mushrooms, nuts or spicy food and olives.

Tough gig!

If they really don't eat eggs at all, then pasta will be out, unless you dabble with vegan pasta.

I've not got a particular recipe, but I had couscous with croquettes on top with a friend for lunch recently.
It was delicious, and you can play with the flavours to suit your guest. Again you may have to work around the eggs in the breadcrumb mix.

Ours were pea croquettas.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun May 13, 2012 10:13 am

Lordy, lordy!

An asparagus risotto?

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun May 13, 2012 4:06 pm

How about something like herby lentils - stuffed into a pepper? Or you could do the divine roast aubergine - peel taken off after roasting - top with sauce vierge.

Or - my fave lunchtime treat, if I have some left over salad potatoes - fry them up with a little EVOO, dill, lemon zest, squeeze of juict, salt, pepper and a spoonful of capers - MMmmmm!!

HH

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun May 13, 2012 10:47 pm

Me again - I had a little read of my Zuni Cookbook this afternoon, and there was a delicious sounding recipe for a tomato summer pudding! I definitely want to have a go at making it, but thought it would suit your needs perhaps? I just found it on Google!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 09264.html

HH

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 14, 2012 1:57 am

If they really don't eat eggs at all, then pasta will be out

You could always use rice noodles, although for me they're at their best with a nice spicy peanut sauce :o
Imam Bayeldi might fit the bill.

Postby Mrs Vee » Mon May 14, 2012 6:23 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:if they really don't eat eggs at all, then pasta will be out

This could be me being dense (it wouldn't be the first time!) but surely pasta is vegan as long as it isn’t egg pasta?

I love the look of this Yotam Ottolenghi recipe which would be vegan if you use egg-free pasta.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ette-clams

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 14, 2012 7:09 pm

The dried pastas I buy tend to have egg (all'uovo). Very yellow in colour, Mrs Vee.

I'm not sure which brands would come in as vegan, but I'm sure there are a lot out there.

Postby Mrs Vee » Mon May 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:The dried pastas I buy tend to have egg (all'uovo). Very yellow in colour, Mrs Vee.

I'm not sure which brands would come in as vegan, but I'm sure there are a lot out there.

I looked through all the packets I have and couldn't find egg in any of them; unsurprising really, given that I don't like egg pasta so I never buy it...duh! (senior moment - I'll just go and lie down in a darkened room!)

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 14, 2012 7:44 pm

You've got me thinking whether normally it doesn't contain egg, Mrs Vee.

I'll take my glasses :ugeek: to the supermarket and have a scan.

Postby jeral » Mon May 14, 2012 9:06 pm

I wondered too about egg in pasta. In my cupboard, the dry pastas is just durum wheat although the lasagne sheets contain egg.

The fresh pasta might as it looks too yellow otherwise (unless colour is added).

Egg noodles contain egg surprisingly lol, which is good as I find the ones without are really tasteless or perhaps it's because the egg ones are thicker if the egg gives body.

Postby Catherine » Mon May 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Sherpherdess pie is another option

Postby Mamta » Tue May 15, 2012 7:46 am

Hello Basic cook. That is a difficult one! It might be easier if we knew what it is she does like.
A mixed vegetable and pasta bake?
Does she eat Indian food? it will many vegetarian ideas for most things she does eat. A vegetable Biryani will be good;http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10102 You can put whatever vegetables you like in it.

Return to Veggie Chat