Register

Loaded potato skins

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Loaded potato skins

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Anyone have any veggie ideas that don't include cheese or butter please? (Oil & eggs OK.)

I can only think of something like mixing the potato scoop-out with mayo or pesto - maybe reserving that for croquettes - and loading skins with miscellany, e.g. spring onion, mushroom bits, chopped sundried tomatoes or something like that.

Does anyone make anything like that?

An alternative would be just to make the scooped-out skins to serve alongside something but not sure how I'd cook those such that I wouldn't just want to leave them at the side of the plate.

Any ideas? Ta.

Re: Loaded potato skins

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Guacamole,salsa and sour cream.

Chilli made with quorn mince, if meat substitutes are acceptable.

Roasted vegetables and pesto

Vegie curry and raita.

Postby Mamta » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Spicy peas and tomatoes.
Heat a little oil, fry a little garlic in it. Add peas, salt, pepper and any other spice you like. I would be quite happy with just S & P and perhaps a small amount of coarsely ground chillies. Add small chopped tomatoes. Stir fry until cooked through. Squeeze a little lemon juice and fill into the shells. You can add a little of finely chopped coriander/mint leaves.
You can add your scooped out potato flesh as well, finely chopped.
You can do something similar with mushroom, onions, Soya sauce and Chinese seasoning.

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Many thanks both - I like all the suggestions.

I'd sub the fake meat in the chilli no problem (red kidney beans/carrot/sweetcorn combo works well in chilli/onion/garlic/tom bases.

I could sprinkle some breadcrumbs on those where a crisp topping would suit better than just a fresh herb sprinkle.

Mind-a-buzzing - I could make lots then freeze and oven-reheat in little oven in about 15 mins I reckon.

Such things are ideal for lunch or even brunch. :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:05 am

Grill some abergines, courgettes, mushrooms, red peppers, tomatoes and onions. Chop fairly roughly and mix with olive oil and fresh herbs. That makes a nice filling.
Then there's a "Mexican" take ( not really Mexican, but still): sweetcorn, red beans, onion, green peppers, chiles (either fresh or cooked), tomato,oregano, cumin and cayenne pepper.

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:51 pm

After reading suggestions, including yours karadekoolaid thank you, I think this is something where I'll definitely be better off following all your individual recipe suggestions for ingredients.

Glad I asked :) Ta.

Return to Veggie Chat