Register

Veggie Greek-style meze platter

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Veggie Greek-style meze platter

Postby jeral » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi. How would you dress cooked, warm, artichoke hearts and cooked skinned sliced red peppers pls? (To be served in separate pots.)

Also planned is tzatiki, feta cubes, green olives in a bit of their oil and rocket - so also what would/should I put on the rocket (or similar leaves as little gem and Romaine are good just now?

Thinking mustard seeds, gherkin, capers - like the marinade in jarred artichokes & peppers. Or maybe I should just buy jarred, lol.

Any thoughts pls? Ta.

Re: Veggie Greek-style meze platter

Postby MrsWW » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:25 pm

With the peppers I'd keep it simple with some balsamic glaze to complement their sweetness with a bit of a zing.

Postby Mrs Vee » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:31 pm

For the artichokes I'd use lemon juice and good evoo. I'm boring when it comes to any leafy salad - I nearly always do a balsamic dressing, usually with a bit of Dijon and a touch of honey added.

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks for both replies which should do the trick of adding zing as it'd all be boringly bland without such to set it off.

Any ideas for a suitable meat additional option? A "meat" friend suggested lamb kofta or maybe chicken liver pate. I can make good koftas, wouldn't fancy making the liver pate though. In truth, I've forgotten what meat goes in a Greek meze.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:24 pm

I'd go for lamb koftas or chicken kebabs. Simple marinade: garlic, oil, fresh (or dried) marjoram, s&p. Serve with a tomato/olive sauce if you wish.
As for the artichokes, if they're fresh, poach them in olive oil,garlic, marjoram or oregano, black peppercorns and salted water. Finish with a generous squeeze of lemon. The simpler the better; artichokes are SO tasty!

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks karadekoolaid.

Chicken kebabs might be the (an easy, lol) way to go as people seem to like having their own skewer 8-)

The artichoke method sounds good. It's for this weekend so I'm on track :)

---

Complete non sequitur: As you are at a high altitude IIRC, there was a phone-in question: "If you're further from the centre of the earth (thinking gravity), do you weigh less than if standing on the lowest point of the surface?" The programme ran out of time so don't know the answer... Edit: I pricked up my curiosity ears as I know you (or someone) has said that water boils at a different temp.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Jeral: I'm at 1,300 mts (4,290 ft) above sea level and yes, things react differently.
If we weigh less,I'm sure my wife will be thrilled as she spends a fortune on dieting!!!

Return to Veggie Chat