Register

Courgette overload....

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Courgette overload....

Postby Urladyship » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:53 pm

I have loads of these at the minute and other than making soup which I love but it is a bit too warm for at the minute) and courgette, sweetcorn, chilli and herb fritters, I can't seem to come up with anything interesting. I'd love to hear your ideas please. Thanks.

Re: Courgette overload....

Postby Suelle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:10 pm

I made this courgette and ricotta tart earlier this week, and it was really good - very light and refreshing:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2536 ... cotta-tart

I used four smallish courgettes and overlapped them a bit more. Here's my version;
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... -tart.html

There are several other, slightly different, versions on the Good Food site.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Courgette (instead of pasta) lasagne? I make this (well a veggie this) to avoid wheat-bloat. This is the first recipe I came across online but they're all much the same: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/zucc ... sagna.html I cheat and microwave the slices in batches a few seconds to cook and bring out the water at the same time. If no mandolin, slice diagonal strips (easier than lengthwise ones).

If they're baby ones, you could save some to put into homemade piccalilli.

Edit PS: Forgot that thick slices go well on veggie skewers with, e.g. button mushroom, cherry tom, red onion layers(?), sweet orange or yellow pepper squares. I do meat skewers separately as veg cooks a lot quicker.

Edit again as I forgot this was in the veggie forum, doh. For my courgette lasagne filling, I make a typical tom sauce starting with sweating onions & cumin (cos it smells good, lol), adding garlic and toms, chopped mushrooms, chopped stoned black olives, herbs like basil and spices like ginger, plus nutmeg in a white sauce. If anti tomatoes, a mushroom sauce. Or, alternating slices of courgette, aubergine, apple and waxy new potatoes as a stacked bake with a white sauce topping. Takes ages in the oven though unless par-cooked before assembly.

Postby Suelle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:17 pm

If you have plants which are producing a lot, pick them very small - no bigger than your index finger. They are then OK eaten raw eg sliced into salads.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Looks lovely Sue 0 but I can't get to BBC Good Food, i've been getting an error message relating to serveer problems all week

Anyone else had this trouble?

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:23 pm

I can get the Good Food site link, as shown, straight off. I mention this only because my own ISP service is still playing up intermittently. Can you get miscellaneous other sites?

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Griddled with lemon and mint,or pesto.

Ratatouille.

Depedent on size, but if large could stuff with savoury rice mix.

I often do roast mediterranean veg,including courgettes , with garlic and pesto/thyme/lemon , delete as possible. Good , served as a vegetable accompaniment,with feta ,mozarella or halloumi.Sometimes add to couscous or quinoa.

Postby MrsWW » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 pm

I've got a recipe for a Courgette Relish somewhere which is rather nice served with BBQ food.

Postby Mrs Vee » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:56 pm

I sympathise with the courgette overload - mine are going crazy!

There's a couple of recipes here from Nigel Slater which are worth a look, including a cake which I'd really like to try. :thumbsup

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... -courgette

Postby Happy Violas » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:40 pm

I love courgettes and am having a glut of yellow and green ones at the moment. Courgette and goats cheese quiche is nice - I made it last year from a Good Food magazine recipe. The courgettes were grated, sprinkled with salt and left for half an hour of so before being squeezed very hard in a tea towel, placed in the pastry case and eggs / cream / goats cheese etc added to fill the case. It was very creamy and eaten by non courgette lovers! I also use them in stir fries, curries (that's what we had tonight, it was very colorful) and, once my tomatoes are in a glut I make ratatouille chutney (the recipe for which I'm sure I've posted before but can do so again if any one is interested).
I have yet to find a courgette cake recipe that is worth repeating ..... believe you me I have tried ;)
Oh and they are lovely brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with s & p and some oregano and then placed on the BBQ until what I call melting. Also, on skewers with halloumi and peppers brushed with the same oil etc. Delicious :yum

Postby Urladyship » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Thank you all soo much for some great ideas. I shall definately be trying some of them. Mind you I'm greedy so looking forward to getting some more recipes. Mrs WW, I'm liking the sound of your relish. Any chance of the recipe please.

Postby Linnet » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:29 pm

My daughter makes a savoury courgette loaf; it makes an alternative to quiche with a salad.

I have the recipe somewhere, so I'll look it out.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Having been given a share in someone's glut, I am going to try making Greek courgette & feta croquettes

http://greekfood.about.com/od/hotorcookeddishes/r/Zucchini-Fritters-With-Feta-Kolokithokeftethes-Me-Feta.htm

We had them in Paxos, and they were great - I will use mint and parsley tonight, but if they work well I'll get some dill and make a bigger batch for a BBQ on Saturday

There are dozens of recipes on the net, but most sound too much like fritters with a lot of egg and/or flour, not the firm croquettes we had

I stocked up on feta in Lidl last night (£1.29 for 200 g :thumbsup )

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:18 am

i made a half quantity from teh recipe liked to above

So my ingredients were, once metricated

500g courgettes, grated on the 4 mm disc of the Magimix, salted and squeezed dry (if you do this, cut the courgettes into short lengths, my shreds were so long they were really hard to shape into little cakes and I ended up with 10 largish ones, should have made about 16 smaller ones)
120 g feta chopped fine (Lidl’s feta is cheap and good for cooking)
40 g plain flour
20 g SR flour
Black pepper
1 med egg beaten
A good handful flat leaf parsley and quite a bit of mint (use a lot, both cheese and courgettes soak up the flavour)
This made a soft dough when mixed, I scooped portions out with my ice cream scoop, rolled in plain flour, flattened into what looked like little fish cakes, and fried in olive oil until well coloured (remember, you need to cook the flour)

Serve warm, so the feta is a little gooey

Spot on! Can serve with tzatziki, if you like or (non-Greek) aioli would work

You can in fact use any herbs you like, we had three lots in different tavernas, all were different; this time I use mint and parsley, as that was what I had, but I think I’ll get some dill next time as I prefer it You could use spring onion instead if not herbally minded.

Postby Urladyship » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Stokey Sue, thanks for your recipe. It sounds delish and as you say different from most of the others. I shall definately be trying these in the near future and will let you know.
Thanks again.

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Courgette fritters go down well here, amazingly since courgettes are perceived to be as "Euu" as sprouts and spinach are, lol.

The recipe I use has coarse breadcrumbs (brown or white of choice) as the filler and patties are dipped/coated in cornmeal before shallow frying.

Also the mix includes grated red onion. Herbs/spices, even red pepper flakes, of choice, like cumin, mint whatever. The trick is to get the gratings dry enough so very little filler is needed to hold them together so as to keep them light and quickly cooked rather than slow-cooked and stodgy since flour has to be cooked out, if you see what I mean.

Postby Linnet » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Finally found the recipe for the courgette and goats cheese 'cake', and tried to post it earlier but had connection problems, so sorry if it double posts!

3 courgettes
200g goats cheese
250 ml single cream
4 eggs, beaten
4 tablesp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
salt, pepper

Wash and top and tail the courgettes, then grate coarsely. Put in a pan with 2 tablesp of the oil and cook for about 5 mins until well softened, stirring frequently. Tip into a sieve or colander and press gently to remove excess liquid.

In a bowl, crush the goats cheese with a fork, and stir in the cream. Add the eggs, courgettes and garlic, mix gently, and season with salt and pepper.

Tip into a loaf tin greased with the remaining oil, and bake for about 40 mins at 180'C. (I find that a length of baking paper in the tin helps with turning out, though not essential.)

Leave to cool in the tin for 10 - 15 mins before turning out. Serve warm or cold.

Postby Urladyship » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:32 am

Linnet and very nice it is too. Thank you soo much for your recipe.

Postby skegnessbear » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:47 pm

You can have them raw slice them longways on a mandolin and have them with cold peas ,broad beans shelled with a lemon olive oil and mint dressing lovely salad .

Postby DEB » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:12 pm

Return to Veggie Chat