Register

From glut to glut!

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

From glut to glut!

Postby mellymou » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:05 am

I seem to lurch from one glut of stuff to another. This week its radishes and I'm really struggling. Have tried roasting them with thyme and feta (yummy), in stir fries and of course salads, but can't seem to find any nice pickled radish receipes - could anyone help please, or indeed with any other ones. Thanks

Re: From glut to glut!

Postby jeral » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:22 pm

There a radish soup recipe here: http://www.grouprecipes.com/8004/red-radish-soup.html which could be made to the first, i.e. blended stage, and frozen in portions until needed and adding the stage two cream etc later. (It's not V but could be adjusted, i.e. sub the Worcs sauce.)

Pickle recipes I've found (usually cider vinegar and honey based) have only a 5-day fridge life so not much good for a glut. Perhaps others know of some.

I read somewhere that radishes become stronger and more bitter as they get older in the ground so best harvested when optimum and cooked/pickled soonest afterwards.

Re: From glut to glut!

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 pm

I don't think there's much in the way of preserved radish.
What I CAN recommend is a fresh Indian "salad" I make with Mooli radish:

Grate the radish, add sugar, salt, a touch of lime juice and fresh green chiles. Crush a handful of walnuts and add to the mixture. Taste and season again if necessary.

Return to Veggie Chat