Register

Any Frittata ideas?

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Any Frittata ideas?

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:55 pm

I have been asked to run a 'Vegetarian Street Food Stall' at a local food festival! I did it last year and it was great fun. (and mercifully the weather was good!)

I was thinking of making a couple of delicious frittatas, that could be served in slices, and was wondering if any of you had any good combinations/recipes you might like to share? Any other ideas also very welcome :klingonbanana

Last year, we made a Miso/Laksa/Tom Yum sort of soup, which went down very well - either with or without rice noodles,
We did a Thai style butternut squash curry with rice (I took my two rice cookers, and we ran a cable into a local shop), a frittata and several delicious salads - either to have with the fritatta, or in salad boxes, and some cakes.

We will have a couple of tables - one for serving from and the other for cooking the soup on with a gas burner.

HH

Re: Any Frittata ideas?

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:07 am

Hmm... FWIW I quite like potato frittata (Spanish tortilla really) as they're not as eggy especially if served with a salad with mustard vinaigrette dressing and capers. The best spud ones tend to be the almost confitted sort. Dunno if the cost would exceed the selling price point though.

Eggy/veg things can be rather tasteless IMO so I guess would be even more so to a meat eater. By choice (if there were one) I'd go for a roasted aub/tom/bell pepper/courgette with herbs and/or spices, as a scoop from a serving bowl into a (preferably warm) pita or wrap.

Some long term veggies try to minimise milk, cheese and eggs (even veggie cheese and free range eggs) as part and parcel of avoiding animal suffering, so frittata might not be their first choice (which is one reason why it wouldn't be mine), but hey, everyone's different.

Incidentally, for aubs, better to peel in stripes (peel strip, miss one). Peppers and toms skinned. One of my pet hates about some veggie dishes is finishing up with a mouthful of long skin strands.

Please ignore that I'm a hypocrite for eating fish but a stickler for no animal as it's not relevant. The most relevant thing is probably the weather, so fingers crossed that it's kind to you.

Postby Suelle » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:51 am

I like the savoury frittata style cakes which have a little flour, raising agent and oil in them - it makes them both sturdier and lighter than just egg based ones - ideal for street food and eating by hand.

Here's a couple of links to the sort I mean:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... slice.html
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... -cake.html
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/2014 ... -cake.html

There's links to the original recipes in each post. The first could easily be made vegetarian just by leaving out the meat. I find they can be varied to suit whatever flavours you want to add.

As Jeral said - strong flavours, so lots of spice or herbs, as well as one predominant ingredient that stands out.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:31 pm

I make a lot of frittatas but I seldom follow a recipe, they tend to be a way of using up leftovers

I don't find them tasteless at all, but mine do tend to include onions, garlic, peppers and herbs

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:51 pm

Thank you all for your lovely responses - In the end I did a leek, lemon thyme and potato fritatta with Compte cheese, and a tomato, basil and goats cheese one - I love those ideas Suelle - I will print them off and give them a try. I put onion and garlic in mine too Sue! Definitely keeps them good and tasty!

I love fritattas, and have found them to be popular as long as the flavours are considered. I did take care to ensure that the cheeses didn't have rennet in them, and they were very popular.

We also had many things that were suitable for vegans - including a really delicious coconut cake from the excellent book Veganomican.

Today I made a rather good Pea, mint and pecorino mash to put on bruschetta - I was thinking that it might have been good as a fritatta too - might give that a go!

Thank you all again for you help.

HH

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Glad to hear that your grub went down well. Sounds very tasty :)

It occurs to me that rum babas ought to be vegan if syrup (rather than honey) is used. A park cafe here make some good vegan cakes, probably carrot or courgette as they are very moist without needing a buttercream vegan equivalent.

I've just been given some book tokens that I've been wondering about so will be checking out Veganomican (which I've only read about for a few years), especially as I'm butter-allergic but also have a new sort-of family member who is vegan so can probably pass on some recipes :thumbsup and cheers for the recommendation.

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:38 pm

I am sure you will find it a good book Jeral - also 'Appetite for Reduction' by the same author is excellent.

HH

Postby Yoland » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:27 pm

I like using new potatoes, courgette, red peppers, onion and really mind blowingly strong chedder cheese.... yummy

Postby Amyw » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Although I'm not a vegetarian, I love frittatas. Roasted beetroot,goats cheese and thymevis lovely,as is leeks and blue cheese. If I have any leftover roasted root veg, I either blend that up in a soup,or use as the base for a frittata.

Return to Veggie Chat