Register

Interesting but easy meals for one

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Interesting but easy meals for one

Postby BornVeggie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi all, love the new board already.

Following a relationship breakdown at the end of last year I am just adjusting to my new life on my own - i stayed with my parents for 2 months but am back in my house full time now.
I found cooking for two much more enjoyable - and a lot easier. I sometimes get home and wonder what the point is to go to all that effort just for me!

I haven't found many meals I can make and fresh ingredients I can buy to make enough for one. I'm not a fan of freezing food as prefer to eat fresh but I don't like to waste.

Any bright ideas? I work full time so its something easy for after work.
I like most ingredients - other than coriander.

thanks in advance :D

Re: Interesting but easy meals for one

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi BV,

How about some of these...

- portobello mushroom ciabatta sandwich with rocket and grilled sliced tomatoes. You could pimp it up with garlic on the bread or some fresh pesto

- broccoli, potato and cheese pasty

- parmesan polenta wedges with garlic mushrooms (maybe with salad leaves or a poached egg?)

- wraps/chapatti/naan stuffed with veggie curry (minus coriander :D) ...spicy spinach and paneer maybe

- pasta with roasted red onions, pine nuts, veggie parmesan equivalent and really good evoo

- cous cous stuffed beef tomatoes (really nice with basil oil drizzled over)

Postby Mrs Vee » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi BV

Here's a few quick and easy ideas…

griddled halloumi with couscous

Delia’s Piedmont Peppers (I use pine nuts instead of anchovies) with crusty bread

portobello mushroom ‘burger’ with wedges and salad

cheesy broccoli and gnocchi bake

spaghetti with garlicky mushrooms

Couple of recipes here that can easily be halved to serve one person
Mushroom Stroganoff
http://simply-veggie.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... rosti.html
Trofie Liguria
http://simply-veggie.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... _7084.html

Postby BornVeggie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Thank you already - some fab ideas. I love paneer, halloumi etc although these are full fat ingredients, they'll have to be treats. Same with pastry.

By coincidence I just bought some gnocchi Mrs Vee, would you bake it without boiling? Boil first and then bake.

Any tips on cooking cous cous, I don't like the flavoured ones as I think they taste "fake" but when I try, I never get the liquid to cous cous ratio right and struggle to make it interesting!

I'll let you know how I get on in the next week as I'm planning on keeping a diary to inspire me going forward.

Great to be back
BV

Postby Bababoom » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:37 am

Hi BV,

About the couscous, I've found that since I've been using digital scales to measure the weight of couscous and a measuring jug for the water, then following the packet instructions works pretty well.

I make a lot of veggie food for my husband - one of the things I do a lot is put one or two sachets of miso soup paste into a pot, then add a bit more hot water than it says on the packet, heat it up then add a portion of dried noodles, about half a pack of silken tofu sliced into small pieces. I serve that in a bowl, adding chopped spring onion, mixed seeds, a squeeze of lime, few drops of sesame oil, dash of soya sauce. It takes about 5 mins from start to finish.

Postby Mrs Vee » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:40 am

BornVeggie wrote:By coincidence I just bought some gnocchi Mrs Vee, would you bake it without boiling? Boil first and then bake.

Any tips on cooking cous cous, I don't like the flavoured ones as I think they taste "fake" but when I try, I never get the liquid to cous cous ratio right and struggle to make it interesting!
Hi BV

I know what you mean about couscous – it can be a bit hit and miss. I use 150g of couscous to about 225-250ml of hot stock which usually works well.

For the gnocchi bake I cook the gnocchi in a large pan of boiling water (with a couple of teaspoons of Marigold low-salt stock powder added for flavour) just until they bob to the surface, then drain; blanch the broccoli for 1 minute then drain. Stir gnocchi and broc into cheese sauce, top with grated Bookhams ‘parmesan’ and bake until golden and bubbling. I usually serve with a simple tomato and red onion salad.

Postby jeral » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm afraid I don't like couscous, something about it but these ingredients might work which I use for a rice dish: Stock, finely chopped bell pepper, fresh tomatoes quartered, some chopped onion, nuts like walnuts, or a spot of walnut oil as walnuts are expensive, or cashews, zest of an unwaxed lemon & orange, some juice of an orange, clove crushed garlic, (soaked) sultanas if wish, thyme and oregano, S&P, drizzle of sherry or white wine (optional). Amount of ingredients needed are relative to quantity of rice. Nothing is precooked as it's an oven dish rather than couscous which is little more than a five minute soak. It can be reheated with the usual precautions about rice. The odd thing is that there are no strong spices in this.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:27 pm

I had an amazing veggie dish over the weekend in a restaurant which was interesting and different (well to me anyway!).

It was halloumi which had been rolled in sesame seeds before being cooked. It was served with a chunky spiced aubergine and tomato sauce, chick peas and sesame oil. The combination was lovely and the sesame seeds went really well with the halloumi.

Postby denada » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:49 pm

BornVeggie wrote:

Great to be back
BV

BV, I usually put a teaspoonful of harissa in the stock I use to soak the couscous. Once it's ready, I add some chopped mint and parsley, olives, slivered almonds, chopped capsicum, red onion and fetta.

Postby BornVeggie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I have successfully made cous cous! Hurrah!! My only issue now is quantities, i could have fed the five thousand on it. Anyway, I stuffed a pepper with it and had it with halloumi. (OMCO - I've had it with a sesame crust before, it's a great combo).

I have also made some mini caramelised onion and goats cheese tartlets which were good for an evening meal and then lunch the next day.

Mrs Vee, I did your gnocchi dish with spinach and a four cheese sauce, delish!

I have today bought from Asda a veggie sausage dry mix, I haven't seen it before..... it looks really herby, so tomorrow I'm going to make a version of toad in the hole, but it will be more on the hole!

Thanks for all the contributions!

Postby Catherine » Tue May 01, 2012 12:37 am

Homemade pesto with pasta

Postby Happy Violas » Thu May 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi BV, I know you said you preferred fresh but I'm the only veggie in my family and wouldn't be without my freezer for when I don't have the time or energy to cook for myself and the meat eaters. I make recipes for 4 and then freeze in single portions eg root vegetable crumbles, spicy chick pea burgers, lasagne etc. I also keep in there a packet of Quorn pieces (to add to stir fries) and soak, cook and freeze various pulses so that I can take out and use single portions (just pour over boiling water to thaw). Just some ideas :)

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Born Veggie: I’m the only veggie in my house. The rest are either hardened carnivores or on a diet.
Single meals include my very Favourite Blue Mountain Stew. Fry some onion and ginger in a wok, add a couple of minced garlic cloves, and a chile or six. Add a tbsp. of curry powder ( it should really be Sambhar powder) and stir to mix. Now add toovar peas, and about 30o gms white or red cabbage, chopped into squares. Add two roughly chopped tomatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer until the toovar peas are just done, and now add a tsp or two of salt. Cook for five minutes more (or until the dish thickens), add garam masala and put a lid on the pot. Turn off the heat, leave for 3 minutes and serve with chappatis, roti, naan, bhatura or just good old crusty bread.
Then there’s a potato and cashew nut roast: boil potato rounds till just done. Stir fry onions, red peppers, a bit of celery and a courgette. Add a small tin of tomatoes and cook till the ingredients are well “mixed” ( about 15 minutes). In a casserole, put a layer of potatoes; then some tomato sauce, and sprinkle liberally with cashews. Repeat the process till all the potatoes are used up: the top layer should be potatoes! Drizzle with olive oil and cover with breadcrumbs ( and cheese if you wish) and bake for about 30 mins.
A quicky is to make my Spicy Peanut Sauce http://www.carta.co.uk/foodforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=300&start=40 which can be served hot or cold. Make some rice noodles ( they take all of five minutes), stir fry some veg – what ever you’ve got in the fridge –and add the sauce. Instant lush!

Postby Catherine » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:42 am

Omelette - I love spinach onion and tomato made as a provencal type filling for it, or a simple herb omelette
Make your own pesto
Stuffed peppers
Spinach and poached egg mornay

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:04 pm

That sounds delicious Catherine!

HH

Postby Dena » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi BornVeggie, I saw this today and thought it sounded good, quick and easy.
http://www.lovefood.com/guide/recipes/1 ... a-verduras

and there is this one - I have made a version of this and it was jolly good. http://www.simply-vegetarian.com/africa ... sauce.html

I thought the vegetable paella was good for using up vegetables while they were still fresh :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:51 am

Yesterday I had to multi-task; tomates confits for one client; pickled cherry tomatoes for another and a huge lot of Garam Masala for another. So lunch had to be something easy and quick. Blitzed two tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, chile in the blender, and added (my) curry powder. A handful of red lentils and some chopped left over squash from the fridge; topped up with water and cooked. It ended up about an hour! But the result was delicious, comforting, spicy and heartwarming.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:23 am

Hi again BV,

I was on my own last night and made a really yum veggie meal... patatas bravas topped with a fried egg and sprinkled with fresh parsley and a few small cubes of feta. We had 1/2 a red pepper and a couple of mushrooms in the fridge so I cooked them alongside the egg. It was really tasty although it reminded me a bit of Mexican breakfasts :)

Return to Veggie Chat