Register

Veggie keebabs

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Veggie keebabs

Postby Sloe_Gin » Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 am

Yesterday, on the bbq, I made some veggie keebabs and they were delicious!
I marinated halloumi in Moroccan spices, then threaded them onto the sticks with my own preserved lemons and some red onions.
As my DiL is veggie, I'd quite like to have some more veggie keebab ideas, if possible, please.
Award winning artisan pickle and chutney maker

Re: Veggie keebabs

Postby jeral » Sat May 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi Sloe Gin. Well done for keeping the halloumi on the skewer. I worry about things falling through the bars so put them on double foil. Mind you, I wouldn't eat it if it was on a bbq used for meat unless it was enclosed in foil or cooked under the grill indoors.

I like the herb mix in this recipe, although I put it oil and let it meld for a while. I can't get corn soft enough for me but the fat end of tinned baby corn works: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Gril ... le-Skewers

This one is good for a spicier marinade: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/geor ... index.html (I go easy on the strong cayenne).

This is the marinade I probably use most often, though once mixed, I apply it as a drizzle or glaze immediately before grilling as it can be strong otherwise: http://www.divinedinnerparty.com/dinner ... grill.html

Typical veg are:
- button or chestnut mushrooms left whole, yellow,
- orange or red bell peppers (or a combo) blanched,
- courgette,
- red onion quartered vertically then use as double layer (i.e. if the skin is 1, the outer layer, then layers 2 & 3 still nestled is cut as suitable sided pieces).
- aubergine, thinly slice this into lengthwise strips, griddle or pan fry, then push on the skewer like so $.

Cherry toms I prefer on a separate skewer with a brushing of oil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar once cooked.

Some good veggie burger recipes are in another thread that started on the BBC Board: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbfood/NF26704 ... ad=8338429 The link has kindly been carried over to here by Sakkarin so can also be found the this board's Food Q&A section: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36

Postby jeral » Sat May 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Tofu cubes can be marinated also. Forgot about those as I'm not an expert on them.

Veg skewers can become same-ish if eaten regularly, so can ring the changes with different salsas (tom-based, mango, even pineapple) and by using different leaves or leaf mixes, so e.g. mustard vinaigrette with little gem, or walnut oil and orange segments with watercress or rocket. :)

Postby jeral » Sat May 26, 2012 3:35 pm

I just spotted these, made with mushrooms, red bell pepper and spring (salad) onions - nothing very special about that but the threading is new to me and looks very effective 8-) http://foodsessed.com/2009/05/12/korean ... on-kebabs/

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 26, 2012 11:45 pm

I'm in the Jeral school: mushrooms, coloured peppers, courgettes, onions.
Sometimes I cube aubergine and marinate in a sweetened chile soy mixture, with sesame oil and ginger, then add the rest of the veg and slather them with the marinade.
Grilled lettuce or radicchio is also heavenly, with a Venetian sweet&sour sauce.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 27, 2012 10:37 am

This is a pleasant and light marinade for vegetables, from vegan Eric Tucker. Nice chap - gave me permission to blog any of his recipes.

Ingredients

1.5 cups tomato passata
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup tamari
4 cloves garlic
3 tablesp honey
1 teasp red pepper flakes
1/2 teasp cinnamon
1 teasp ground coriander
2 teasp ground cumin
1 teasp fennel seeds, ground
2 teasp fresh grated ginger
1 tablesp balsamic

purée the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
marinade your selection on vegetable skewers in the sauce, here courgettes - halloumi which held together nicely - pepper - fennel
& barbecue turning carefully

I'll just show you the marinading picture, as I served the keebabs with meat.

Postby Mrs Vee » Sun May 27, 2012 12:33 pm

I usually end up with salad and a chunk of baguette at barbies because people never seem to think about cross-contamination by the meaty stuff being cooked on the same grill ;) but here’s a few I do at home…

- thinly slice aubergine, spread thinly with pesto, wrap around sun-dried tomatoes and fingers of halloumi. Brush with evoo and thread them two or three to a skewer to cook.

- par-boil small whole new potatoes, marinade in yogurt and tikka paste, thread on skewers and cook until the skins are slightly charred. Squeeze lemon juice over before serving.

- chunks of Portobello mushroom alternately threaded with chunks of red pepper. Baste with a garlic, olive oil and lemon juice marinade.

Postby DEB » Sun May 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Postby Sloe_Gin » Sun May 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone! I shall sift though and try many of these!
Award winning artisan pickle and chutney maker

Postby Happy Violas » Sun May 27, 2012 11:23 pm

By coincidence yesterday I was invited to a meaty BBQ and decided to take these off the BBC website posted by DEB: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1101 ... ta-parcels

They were quick to assemble at home, popped on the BBQ and then eaten from the foil. Totally delicious. No meat contamination there! :clap

Return to Veggie Chat