Register

Vegetarian terrine ideas pls

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Vegetarian terrine ideas pls

Postby jeral » Sun May 27, 2012 3:11 am

As Bank Holiday (UK) is on 4 June, it gives me a few days...

I've come across recipes that I could, er, reinvent:

- "Tricolor Vegetable Terrine": http://shizuokagourmet.com/2008/11/27/t ... e-terrine/ Seriously heavy on eggs and cream, so would rather "get away with" some (V) gelatine sub as might be possible. Love the effect of the broc florets sticking up.

- "Colourful Vegetable Terrine" (starts about 1/5th down; the result is about 4/5ths down the page): http://www.mrshomely.com/index.php/cate ... ipes/lamb/ (Of course omitting the optional lamb.) It looks very time consuming but one that would be worth making taste-wise at face value.

- This one, I'm not convinced will have much taste TBH (and a lengthy process) http://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/veget ... rrine.html though could be spiced up along the way...

So far, I've found veg terrines wrapped with cabbage leaves, spinach leaves or aubergine strips (or fake meat which we'll ignore). Also, either the elements are precooked/roasted or just blanched, yet some are still baked, some pressed, or some just left to set. Bewildering.

Any thoughts please? The best looking pressed ones seem to rely on cheese like goats' or mozzarella but if wishing to exclude that...

Re: Vegetarian terrine ideas pls

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 28, 2012 3:38 am

I watched an old Australian Masterchef show last week, and there was an oyster and leek terrine, covered with leek leaves. OK - no oysters; but how about using paneer, or chickpeas, or tofu to make it veggie? Would it work?

Re: Vegetarian terrine ideas pls

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi

This is a lovely one from here via Italy - said to have been invented by one of the Pope's cooks while they lived in Avignon.

Papeton

6 large aubergines - peeled and sliced
6 tbsp olive oil
3 shallots - chopped
2 cloves garlic - crushed
sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp crème fraîche
3 eggs - beaten
seasoning

Preheat the oven to 180°C.

Heat the oil in a pan and add the aubergines, shallots, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until the aubergines are very soft.

Push the mixture through a sieve using a wooden spoon, or for speed, though slightly less smooth, whizz in a blender or processor.

Butter a terrine or rectangular tin.

Stir the eggs and cream into the mixture and pour into the terrine. Put the terrine in a roasting tin and pour in enough boiling water to come ¼ of the way up. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes or until set.

Can be served hot or cold with a rich tomato sauce.

Return to Veggie Chat