Register

Is this the end of meat?

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Is this the end of meat?

Postby Breadandwine » Mon May 28, 2012 1:36 am

Interesting article on the growth of meat substitutes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/is-this-the-end-of-meat-7765871.html

Cheers, Paul
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/

Re: Is this the end of meat?

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 28, 2012 3:33 am

Link didn't work, Paul!

Postby Global_Worming » Mon May 28, 2012 8:25 am

Postby jeral » Mon May 28, 2012 12:48 pm

I doubt it'll become "the end of meat" in the foreseeable future needless to say. It seems a logical step for fake meat to be sold in butchers generally for those who like it - why not? As it's expensive, there's probably a good margin to be made and also because it has a long shelf life there should be little wastage to the butcher or consumer.

The article mentions fake fish; I wonder how it is flavoured if it is truly vegetarian. With global fish stocks dwindling and some concerns about the health of farmed fish, it's probably a case of watch this space over the next few years...

Postby Tatihou » Mon May 28, 2012 1:08 pm

It's not about "meat" though, is it. It's all about replicating processed meat products - frankfurter, hamburger, sausage substitutes. I don't eat frankfurters and eat few burgers or sausages anyway and those we do eat are usually home-made from real meat, no preservatives or other chemicals.

Despite the mention in the article, there are few serious signs of successful attempts to produce a faux sirloin steak or a shoulder of lamb and I can't see that muscle (and fat because for red meats, the flavour is in the fat, isn't it Kavey! :thumbsup ) grown in a petrie dish is going to be anything but insanely expensive any time soon...

Postby Mrs Vee » Mon May 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Interesting article, but....no, I don’t think this means the end of meat; I can't see where the market is for it.

- omnivores who can afford meat will still eat meat
- it’ll be too expensive for omnivores who are cutting down on meat for financial reasons
- some vegetarians may try it but I think most will turn their backs on it quite quickly

Actually, thinking more about this as I’m typing, it’ll probably be bought by omnivores who think they’re saving the planet by having ‘Meat-free Mondays’. :roll:

Personally, I’m not keen on fake meats. I’d been veggie for many years before I bought vegemince or veggie sausages and those are still the only fake meats I buy or have ever bought; I probably use them once or maybe twice a month. I had real issues with vegemince the first time I cooked it; I made a pasta sauce to have with spaghetti but it looked so much like real meat that I couldn’t eat it!

If this new stuff not only looks like meat but also tastes like it, then I’m afraid I have only one reaction which, coincidentally, is the same reaction I have towards Quorn! :vomit

If I wanted to eat meat, I would…but I don’t.

Postby jeral » Mon May 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Although I wouldn't buy fake meat for myself, I have bought chicken-style Quorn and a particular brand of veggie sausages for an omnivore who is happy with either. They appeal to me as neither will have been given injections or antibiotics etc and typically are low in fat but equal in nourishment. Selfishly, I happily find that the sausages especially don't smell the kitchen out when cooking.

If they come up with a good fake bacon, I'm sure people who are concerned about the possible dangers of cured actual bacon could be interested.

On "meat free Mondays", I was thinking earlier of asking on the main food board if people would consider fake to be suitable since no change in dishes would be required, i.e. could still make meat and two veg, so it wouldn't help to broaden the repertoire of interesting vegetarian meals.

On petrie dishes, I seem to recall that they succeeded in a very basic way, so still years off "growing" meat for consumption, unless an imperative like meat failure (as with BSE) leads to a race for success (with attendant proprietary rights/income).

Postby kavey » Tue May 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Heh, yes the flavour is indeed in the fat, love it when we share interesting learning!
I think long term, yes, there may well be commonly accepted products made in the lab, as raising animals for food will become more and more expensive as our resources dwindle.
But no time soon, I think.

Postby Wokman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Is this the end of meat?

A simple question Paul, and with a simple answer............No.

Return to Veggie Chat