Register

Vegetarian cheese

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Vegetarian cheese

Postby Dena » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:56 am

I was just browsing through the Lakeland catalogue and saw they are now selling vegetarian rennet. Sounds good to me. :clap :clap I don't know how available it has always been but this is the first time I have seen it - but then I'm not a veggie :)

Re: Vegetarian cheese

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Interesting. I wonder how much rennet they sell. I can't think I'd ever need to make my own cheese as so many varieties are available commercially in veggie form of necessity as there ain't a lot of proper rennet from one cow. The imitations typically exclude those with specific manufacturing accreditation.

It would be nice to somehow make a decent V mozzarella as the plastic sort is a poor imitation, although having seen how it's made it's dubious I could reproduce the process at home.

Postby Dena » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:50 pm

They have only just started selling this I believe and say you can make Ricotta, halloumi, feta, mozzarella and ordinary cream cheese. I know there have been recipes for ricotta and cream cheese that don't need rennet around for ages but I thought it was interesting in that it was vegetarian rennet.

I'm not really a cheese lover and not vegetarian but hadn't thought of making my own feta, halloumi, etc., which are cheeses I do like.

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Cheers for the extra info. I'll have to go aGoogling for mozzie recipes. There are some cheeses I like but cannot eat. Maybe I could even turn (vegan) Quark into cheese *brain whirring noise*

Postby Dena » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Evidently jeral they asked Gerrard Baker (BBC Good Food columnist) to write a book with a few basic cheese recipes. It's called "Soft Cheese" (really exciting title :lol: :lol: )

Return to Veggie Chat