Register

Homemade vegan pasta

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Homemade vegan pasta

Postby Breadandwine » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:54 pm

I've just made my own pasta for the very first time - and I can't believe just how easy, and tasty, it is!

I've put the details, plus pics on my blog:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk ... pasta.html

I'd been toying with the idea of getting a pasta machine - I shan't bother now!

It took me less than half an hour - and that included resting the pasta dough for ten minutes!

Cheers, Paul
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/

Re: Homemade vegan pasta

Postby Breadandwine » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:55 pm

And now I've made wholemeal pasta - well, with half and half wholemeal and white flour.

Making this is really a treat - it's thoroughly enjoyable. I know I'm a bit of an enthusiast, and get carried away with my latest discovery, but making pasta is just pure fun! :D

I made half the amount this time - why make more than I need at any one time when it's just so easy to make.

I mean - fresh pasta is fresh pasta, right?

Details and pics all on my blog.

I was wondering, though, why boil a separate pot for the pasta, when it can be - if the sauce is wet enough - cooked in with the pasta sauce.

Has anyone ever done this?
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Paulthebread wrote: ...[clip]... I was wondering, though, why boil a separate pot for the pasta, when it can be - if the sauce is wet enough - cooked in with the pasta sauce.

Has anyone ever done this?

Glad to read your pasta worked well; I'm a fan of half wholemeal & half white flour also, for flatbreads in my case.

Even fresh pasta needs swirling about doesn't it so as to cook it evenly? I do like ridiculously stodgy clumpy things occasionally (like grilled gnocchi concoctions) but not sure I'd cook pasta in sauce as to me the sauce would never be wet enough and it would be simmering rather than the boiling temp needed to cook pasta through.

Let us know if you try it though - I'd be delighted to have a partner in crime on stupidly clumpy things. That's only half a joke as even veggies like to have something to bite into so if clumpy pasta works, then hey why not?

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 pm

I was wondering, though, why boil a separate pot for the pasta, when it can be - if the sauce is wet enough - cooked in with the pasta sauce.

Because the sauce is a complement for the pasta. If the pasta tastes of the sauce, then what's the point? You should be able to taste (a) the pasta and (b) the sauce.

Postby Happy Violas » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 pm

I agree with KK. I once made a Nigella Lawson recipe which cooked the pasta in a sauce and it was horrible according to my kids. It all tasted the same (boring) and I found it difficult to get all the pasta to keep any bite. I cook them separately all the time now :)

Postby Breadandwine » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:52 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:

Because the sauce is a complement for the pasta. If the pasta tastes of the sauce, then what's the point? You should be able to taste (a) the pasta and (b) the sauce.
OK, fair - enough just trying to save washing up! :)

All the same, I shall try it out, just for my own satisfaction. If it was dried pasta, that would indeed suck up some sauce, but fresh pasta?

We'll see.

Postby Amazing » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:25 am

I made a bol sauce and added penne to it ages ago, really can't remember the outcome but do remember that I had to keep checking that there was enough liquid for the pasta.

Don't think it would feasible with spaghetti or tagliatelli though.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:12 pm

What I HAVE seen done,Paul, is - once the pasta is cooked and quickly drained, a small amount of the pasta sauce is added to the pasta and mixed in. In my B-I-L's house, many years ago, this was the norm and extra tomato sauce was served at the table in a jug.

Postby Breadandwine » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:18 am

Well, it was a mixed result in the end - I don't think my sauce was wet enough, on reflection.

I cleared some space in the pan (pic 1)

But it spread about a bit (pic 2)

And this was the end result (pic 3)

The pasta did stick together a bit, so it was a bit claggy - still jolly tasty, for all that!

Might try it again with a wetter sauce.

It's certainly no good for a family meal - but, just for one, it's OK.

BTW, haven't done this with the pics before - they're very big, aren't they?

And you have to load them back to front.

And you can't post in between the pics - or after them, either!

I think I'll stick to posting them on my blog.
Attachments
IMG_1743.jpg
IMG_1743.jpg (960.71 KiB) Viewed 10564 times
IMG_1744.jpg
IMG_1744.jpg (775.26 KiB) Viewed 10564 times
IMG_1745.jpg
IMG_1745.jpg (1009.52 KiB) Viewed 10564 times

Postby Breadandwine » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:52 am

Have 2 of our grandchildren staying ATM, and Olivia (9) wanted to make pasta after seeing the pics on my blog - so she did. I've added the pics of her making it to the post:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk ... pasta.html

Now I can say that pasta-making is so easy, even a 9-year-old can make it! :thumbsup

Postby Breadandwine » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:36 pm

Boy! Am I getting good at this!

Came home this evening to find my wife had made me a vegetable pasta sauce - so I set to and made some wholemeal pasta - 100% wholemeal this time.

I put a pan of water on, found the scales, then the flour, the bouillon powder, the nutritional yeast and the cayenne pepper.

I measured 50g flour and added 3/4 of a teaspoon of stock powder, a heaped teaspoon of nooch and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. I mixed this together and added 30g of water and a glug of EVOO. This came together as a dough very quickly - which I kneaded a couple of times.

4 minutes after I began, I formed the dough into a bun-shape, dredged it with flour (s/r, this time, it's a quarter the price of the w/meal) and rolled it out thinly.

To try and encourage a square shape, I pick the dough up - left hand to the bottom left hand corner, right hand to the top left hand corner; then, turning the dough over, I bring my right hand over to the right hand bottom corner. Then I spread with flour again, roll out a couple of times and repeat the turning over procedure - only this time on the right hand side. Once I've got it to the correct thickness - which I check by folding the dough three times (giving me 8 layers) and measuring it - it should be about 1cm thick. Which makes the dough roughly 0.125cm thick.

[Does this make any sense, guys? It's the first time I've tried to write down what I actually do. Feedback welcome, please.]

I then take the pizza wheel and cut it into roughly 1cm wide strips. Today I cut 23 strips, so the square of dough was approx. 23cm square.

The pan of water was now ready and in went the strips, one strip at a time. 3 minutes later - 16 minutes after I began - it was nearly ready. Only then did I realise I hadn't warmed up the sauce. That took a couple of minutes - but I finally sat down with my meal 20 minutes after I started!

The wholemeal pasta was absolutely fine - I shall do it like this from now on. Adding flavourings to the pasta makes it a whole new ball game - one that I can play about with to my heart's content!.

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Sounds great. I've only done half and half, wholemeal/plain, flour, but that's cos I don't really like wholemeal TBH.

Did you see that internet pic where someone had amazingly embedded tiny leaves (parsley?) in each strip, like an embroidered ribbon? (Don't ask me to find it, lol.) A chef made some pasta apparently on Sat Kit this week in "moments", although we only saw him putting it through the roller so I guess the dough had been pre-made. Interesting that you reckon it is so quick to make, though I guess you're not a dough beginner ;)

Postby Breadandwine » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:29 am

Interesting that you reckon it is so quick to make, though I guess you're not a dough beginner
That's true - but it's so unbelievable simple I'd be surprised if anyone couldn't make the dough as quick.

As in many things, it's all about confidence and attitude, I guess.

Finally broke away from my tagliatelle rut, last night, and made a lasagne with my homemade pasta.

I made it with all wholemeal and added half a teaspoon of bouillon powder, a heaped teaspoon of nooch, and the end of a spoon of curry powder. I forgot the EVOO, but it didn't seem to make any difference - probably won't bother with it from now on.

The lasagne was the best I've ever had, simply scrummy - and I've still got half of it left.

I have to say it was very satisfying cutting the sheets to the required size for the pot - so that only one sheet was needed for each layer!

Ravioli next!

:D

Postby almadolce » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Here is one of mine: Caprese Pasta Salad with Mozzarella

A quick, easy to make 'Caprese Pasta Salad' is light and fresh salad great for spring and summer potluck, a lunch, a side dish, or even a snack. It's really easy to make recipe and you just need few main quality ingredients including fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, pasta, extra virgin olive oil, etc..

Ingredients for 4 people

2 balls of Mozzarella
Around 12 small cherry tomatoes or 2-4 larger ones
360g of good quality pasta
Extra virgin olive oil
Good quality balsamic vinegar
Fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper

Recipe: http://blog.vorrei.co.uk/caprese-pasta-salad/

Postby Linnet » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Not vegan if you use mozzarella. ...