Register

Veggie blini toppings?

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Veggie blini toppings?

Postby Fruitcake » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:25 pm

We're having a dinner party tomorrow and have just decided to start off with some canapes - little blinis topped with home cured gravadlax, homemade chicken tikka and prawn cocktail (all already made). However we also have a veggie coming, can anyone suggest a couple of easy but tasty veggie blini toppings please?

Re: Veggie blini toppings?

Postby Dover Soul » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:42 pm

A few suggestions,

Hummus, egg mayo, cream cheese or soured cream

topped with,

Asparagus tips
Cucumber
Red and yellow diced peppers
Halved olives
Quartered cherry tomato
The gong has been struck, time to eat

Postby Mrs Vee » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Fruitcake wrote:We're having a dinner party tomorrow and have just decided to start off with some canapes - little blinis topped with home cured gravadlax, homemade chicken tikka and prawn cocktail (all already made). However we also have a veggie coming, can anyone suggest a couple of easy but tasty veggie blini toppings please?
Hi Fruitcake - how about houmous topped with half a black olive, guacamole topped with a smidgeon of tomato salsa, cream cheese and cucumber?

Edited to say: I forgot to say make plenty of the vegetarian ones because the omnivores will eat them before the veggie gets near them!

Postby Bababoom » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:18 pm

If you're talking super-easy, then cream cheese topped with chilli jam is a big hit here.

Tiny bit of prep, then can of butter beans blitzed with garlic, lemon zest and juice, olive/sesame oil, salt - makes a very tasty topping, takes less than 5 mins.

Postby jeral » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Halved: Walnuts, sweet grapes, apricots, olives (green or black) and even the currently tasteless strawberries (sliced) can make good toppings over blinis scraped with pesto that have a slice of hard boiled egg or cucumber or tomato or halloumi or soft cheese or tzatiki.

Postby Fruitcake » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:26 pm

The houmus with black olive sounds like a winner! And we're going to do mushroom pate one too. I also like the idea of tzatiki so that one is going on the list too! Thanks for the replies 8-)

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:25 pm

I make little chive blinis topped with a little crème fraiche and some home made red onion marmalade! It goes down well with everyone. If you have blinis anyway, this might be an easy one - top with a few finely chopped chives.

Also, quails eggs with celery salt is easy and delicious

Cheese straws, mini leek and goats cheese quiche (as long as they are the 'cheese eating' variety of vegetarian!)

HH

Postby Global_Worming » Thu May 10, 2012 9:35 am

Baba Ganoush or aubergine caviar :thumbsup

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun May 13, 2012 10:50 pm

I made some canapés for a party which included little blinis with corn kernels in the batter - topped with a spicy mango and red onion salsa! It went down very well.
HH

Postby Urladyship » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:50 am

I've been having a little look through your suggestions and I must say you've inspired me to do some of these for my next get together. They are all wonderful. Mrs Vee & Bababoom, I will definately be using your ideas. Thank you all soo much.

Return to Veggie Chat