Register

roasting squash

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.
Victoria Sponge

roasting squash

Postby Victoria Sponge » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:22 pm

for butternut squash risotto, do you roast the squash whole or peel and cut into chunks before adding to the risotto????

Re: roasting squash

Postby Tatihou » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:20 pm

For butternut squash, I peel - which is easy and quick using one of this style of peeler...

http://www.chalet.net.au/product/98/victorinox-rex-vegetable-peeler
or this...
http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photography-vegetable-peeler-image17343877

...and then I scoop out the seeds with a spoon (sometimes wash and salt and bake them but otherwise throw to the chickens) and then I chop the peeled squash into chunks, size dependent on what I'm going to do with it.

Again, with butternut squashes, you often see tv cooks peeling using a socking great knife which takes off a lot of the squash itself. I think that's a waste as peeling takes so little time.

Postby jeral » Tue May 08, 2012 6:33 pm

I think a combination of microwaving and roasting is good. First cut (unpeeled) in half lengthwise and spoon out seeds. Put in a loosely covered dish with a drop of water and microwave for about 10 mins. It should be easy to peel and chop then. Roast cubes under a drizzle of olive oil until done, say 10 mins in a hottish oven (roasting brings out the sweetness).

That is how I cook very hard things like that although I don't make risotto. Of course if the squash is roasted and tender, it can be added later in the process.

Postby Catherine » Wed May 09, 2012 12:29 am

I never bother to peel buternut, I like the skin

Return to Veggie Chat