Register

Dairy-free stuffed mushrooms

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Dairy-free stuffed mushrooms

Postby elderberry » Thu May 26, 2016 3:51 pm

Cheese.
Stuffed mushrooms cry out for the stuff, but what are the alternatives? A quick look online reveals a few that don't use cheese, but have you any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Dairy-free stuffed mushrooms

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 26, 2016 5:15 pm

Breadcrumbs, with herb of choice.
Or halved tomatoes.

Postby jeral » Thu May 26, 2016 7:18 pm

If you mean cheese as a topping, I press on homemade garlic breadcrumbs instead.

If desperate for a cheese topping, the vegan cheddar version is passable, from health food shops or online.

As a filling, I sauté suitable finely chopped veg, e.g. shallot, yellow pepper, hint of fresh chilli or flakes (if liked), parsley and thyme, crushed walnuts, and garlic, either to add into the mix or leave it as cloves to fish out so it just flavours the oil for the crumb topping.

Drain the veg and blot by dabbing with kitchen paper; add just enough fresh crumbs to hold, i.e. don't mash it into a splodge.

It always turns out far too much stuffing, but it goes well just as a veggie pannini filling or with sausages or lamb chop if you eat meat.

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri May 27, 2016 1:03 am

I agree with Gill - some lovely garlicky breadcrumbs sauteed in olive oil with lots of chopped parsley would be delicious!

The vegan cheese 'Violife' can be bought from most supermarkets, and is OK - it doesn't really taste cheesey but has a certain sort of cheesiness. It melts odly though, and is better when not totally on top, as it dries out, so perhaps in the filling rather than on!

HH

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Fri May 27, 2016 2:42 pm

Blitz; stale bread, raw almonds and some of that "nutritional yeast" and parsely, whack it on top of some wild rice/veggies and bake on a monstrous heat for 10 mins.

Postby Amyw » Sat May 28, 2016 12:02 am

Pesto(minus the Parmesan) or some blitzed up bottled red peppers. Tapenade or salsa verde might be nice too, topped with breadcrumbs .

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Lightly scrambled eggs with plenty of fines herbs - but cook the mushrooms first.

Pureed chick peas with oilive oil and lots of garlic.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Blitz some dried Spanish chorizo ( Rioja is a good one) with a grilled red pepper, thicken with a few breadcrumbs if necessary and stuff away!
Also good with curried lentils.

Postby elderberry » Tue May 31, 2016 8:37 am

Joanbunting wrote:Lightly scrambled eggs with plenty of fines herbs - but cook the mushrooms first.

Joan, do you bake the eggs in the pre-baked mushrooms? I would have thought better not to.

Postby elderberry » Tue May 31, 2016 8:57 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Blitz some dried Spanish chorizo ( Rioja is a good one) with a grilled red pepper, thicken with a few breadcrumbs if necessary and stuff away!
Also good with curried lentils.

...not with the lentils in the mushroom, I take it? Although crunchy lentils might be quite interesting.

Postby elderberry » Tue May 31, 2016 9:00 am

hungryhousewife wrote:I agree with Gill - some lovely garlicky breadcrumbs sauteed in olive oil with lots of chopped parsley would be delicious!

The vegan cheese 'Violife' can be bought from most supermarkets, and is OK - it doesn't really taste cheesey but has a certain sort of cheesiness. It melts odly though, and is better when not totally on top, as it dries out, so perhaps in the filling rather than on!

HH

I'm not sure about Violife HH, it sounds like it's very 'processed'.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 31, 2016 2:04 pm

elderberry wrote:
Joanbunting wrote:Lightly scrambled eggs with plenty of fines herbs - but cook the mushrooms first.

Joan, do you bake the eggs in the pre-baked mushrooms? I would have thought better not to.

No I cook the mushrooms first then ytop with the eggs. Mushrooms act in place of taost in other words.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 31, 2016 2:43 pm

Cook the curried lentils, then fill the mushroom caps with the lentils and grill for a minute or so. Alternatively, grill the mushrooms first until cooked, then fill with the lentils.

Postby Breadandwine » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:51 am

For my roast dinner yesterday I had 3 smallish field mushrooms. I've been trying to find my favourite filling combination out of vegan pesto (Meridian), Pateole mushroom pate, and hummus.

So I had one filled with pesto and pate, one with pesto and hummus, and one with pate and hummus. All were sprinkled with cayenne pepper and drizzled with EVOO. 2 minutes on full power in the microwave + 4 minutes on 50% power.

All were gorgeous - I could just not decide which was the tastiest!
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/

Postby Mamta » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:17 pm

I have tried following and they all seem to work;
Fill with left over chickpea curry (remove and gravy/sauce), mixed with chopped onions, topped with a nice mint coriander chutney and heated in an oven. Tinned chickpeas, mixed with chopped onions, green chillies, coriander etc. topped with tomato +chilli sauce or sweet chilli sauce, cooked in oven.
Cooked potatoes (leftover roast, boiled or chips chopped up), mixed with chopped tomatoes, onion, green chillies, coriander leaves, spiced up to taste, cooked in hot oven.
For pescatrians, stuff cooked mushrooms with tuna and corn or similar salads, mixed with chopped red onions and green chillies, garnish with a fresh herb and serve cold.
Stuff with leftover pilaf rice (spice it up, if you like), top with herbed breadcrumbs and butter, cook in oven

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:02 pm

I like the idea of a baked egg, or the scrambled egg - maybe with a bit of harrisa - Scrum!

HH

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox