Register

The Pope of French Cuisine Paul Bocuse Passes Away 20/1

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

The Pope of French Cuisine Paul Bocuse Passes Away 20/1

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Let us all take a moment to give our Condolences to the family and loved ones, of the Late Paul Bocuse, who died this morning at the age of 91.

Born on the 11th of February 1926, he died this morning, the 20th of January, 2018.

He was called the Pope or Father of Nouvelle French and International Cuisine ..

He was suffering for several years from the degrading disease of Parkinsons ..

His culinary philosophy was the freshest and best quality products.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: The Pope of French Cuisine Paul Bocuse Passes Away 20/1

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:45 pm

RIP Paul. A magnificent chef.

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:47 pm

An episode of iron chef, in the original japanese, featuring someone that was supposedly trained under Bocuse

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc96i-xK8Ko

No subtitles, no dubbing

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:06 pm

@Mark,

Absolutely incredibly amazingly dazzling dynamic cuisine .. Breathtakingly stunningly gorgeous ..

Thank you very much for posting the link to the You Tube Video ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:11 pm

@Karakoolaide,

Chez Bocuse was not only a Chef, but a Professor.

He earned 3 Michelin Stars in 1965 and maintained them in addition to receiving the Life Time Achievement Award in approx. 2010 or 2012 ..

He was the Professor to uncountable Michelin Chefs including:
Pierre Gagnaire
Alain Ducasse
Joel Robuchon
Basque Chef Juan Mari Arzak

and uncountable others.

If you have not watched Mark´s Video, please do, as it is extraordinarily exceptional ..

Have a lovely wkend ..

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:59 am

Haaa! All that fancy restaurant kit, and here he is cooking on a £10 camping stove!
https://youtu.be/grpcBY_UzmI?t=3m34s

I looked for a chicken dish of his to make as I had chicken in already, and settled for this dish as it's quite simple. After having had kimchi stew earlier in the week, the vinegariness in it is quite mild. I didn't think it would work (who am I to question a master?), but it is quite tasty, the mashed garlic adds a dark undertone to it.

Chicken in Vinegar Sauce
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chic ... egar-sauce

My plateful (two portions):

I dug out my copy of "Great Chefs of France", as it has a section on Bocuse, and as a matter of interest checked up on the other chefs in it, to find that there's only one or two of the fourteen chefs featured still alive :-(

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:46 am

@ Sakkarin,

Firstly, Thank you for the two links and the photograph.

Absolutely, a stunning chicken dish ..

When I get home, I will prepare this chicken recipe ..

( We are in Madrid attending The Fitur Travel and Tourism Convention which ends tomorrow the 21st & Then, we will attend Madrid Fusion which is a Gastro Wine Trade Fair beginning the 22nd and ending on the 24th .. ) .. We will then go to the shops for some "sales" and fly back to Barcelona on the 26th ..

I read your footnote as well .. I shall have to look at his books that I have .. I did a course in Hospitality Management as an elective with my then boyfriend (now my husband ) many years ago .. He was one of the Professors of that course .. He was quite an enchantingly social chap and had a grand passion for all he did ..

:cry: :cry:

Postby Renée » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:39 am

What an amazing chef Paul Bocuse was!

Thank you Alexandria for all the information about his career and thank you also, Mark, for the amazing video!

Sakkarin, I well remember that recipe, but didn't make it at the time. I will make it later in the week.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:03 pm

@Renée,

You are welcome dear.

Terribly sad news, losing 2 incredible mythic Chefs:

Last Week: Gualitero Marchesi - The Father of "Authentic" Italian Cuisine .. ( 86 years old )

Yesterday: The Pope of Nouvelle French Cuisine, Paul Bocuse .. ( was going to be 92 on February 11th )

They knew each other very well ..

The video was absolutely incredible and Chef Bocusé Chicken Recipe, is amazingly extraordinary.

Have a lovely day Dear ..

:thumbsup

Postby Renée » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Thank you Alexandria.

Yes, it is very very sad, but the influences of those two great chefs will live on. I am not familiar with the Italian chef, Gualitero Marchesi, but I will learn about his life and career today.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Madrid and the sales!! It is snowing here.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Sad indeed. From the French news and papers you would think the president was the departed one. Then again the French have far more respect for chefs than presidents!

Bocuse was ahead of his time and a food super star, here at least, long before the first celebrity chefs,

His take on Nouvelle Cuisine was to reduce the cream, rich sauces etc and allow good seasonal ingerdients to shine through. He used to despair over some who embraced his ideas but took them to extremes. he once said his mission was to serve wonderfully cooked, looking and tasting food not a petit pois cut into 4 on a huge platter.

Yes, we have eaten there, quite a long time ago and we always hoped to go back one day

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:08 pm

Some alternative Bocuse recipes, Renee, I am going to have a bash at his Leek soup and probably his Macaroni later in the week:

Chicken in Cream Sauce (4 other recipes here)
https://www.staub-online.com/uk/en/reci ... ipe11.html

Macaroni Cheese
https://www.allmychefs.com/recipes/maca ... eese_924_2

Potato Soup
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... danddrink3

Incidentally, that recipe says "white part of leek only" - one of the videos I watched yesterday had Bocuse preparing a leek, and he was very adamant that some of the green should be used. The leeks in your supermarket have already been partially trimmed, and the amount he recommended you leave was about what you'd find as they come in the supermarket.

Preparing leek, and look at the buttery colour of that cream!!!! On the basis of that I think I'll go for double rather than single cream in the recipe:
https://youtu.be/ezcOl5FKTpo?t=1m22s

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:29 pm

The chicken looks interesting

The macaroni dish is odd, just 150 g gruyere to a whole 500 g pack of pasta, 1.5 litres milk and 600 g creme fraiche, and the cheese is only a topping. More maccaroni a la creme really

Sakkarin wrote:Potato Soup
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... danddrink3

Incidentally, that recipe says "white part of leek only" - one of the videos I watched yesterday had Bocuse preparing a leek, and he was very adamant that some of the green should be used. The leeks in your supermarket have already been partially trimmed, and the amount he recommended you leave was about what you'd find as they come in the supermarket.

Whatever he did for other dishes I suspect the point is that's actually described as a vichysoisse recipe and vichysoisse is meant to be creamy white without a greenish cast. So maybe not inconsistent?

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:45 pm

The chicken is very similar to one that I make from Raymond Blanc - no doubt based on the Paul Bocuse recipe. It's really nice.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:20 pm

the point is that's actually described as a vichysoisse recipe
I haven't got any Bocuse recipe books (the book I mentioned is about the chefs and their restaurants, it's not a recipe book, although it does include recipes, just one from Bocuse, his Pot au Feu), so can't check, but I wonder if calling it "vichyssoise" was the Guardian writer's foible, and that the original was just called "leek and potato soup"?

The soup he's making in the video I linked to is definitely going to have a green tinge, and I see elsewhere the soup is referred to as "potage parmentier", and that there's some argument as to the origins of the term "vichyssoise".

Isn't vichyssoise a cold soup, anyway?

Anyway, I'm going to make same vaguely green winter-warming (it rained instant slush here earlier) leek and potato soup, off to get some cream now.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/pot ... ild-270731

EDIT: I'll add the Bocuse recipe to my Macaronicheeseulator later...
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3310&hilit=macaroni&start=60#p48547

EDIT 2: Updated the mac cheese chart, you're right, he is mean with the cheese and over-zealous with the milkiness.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Yes, vichysoisse is a cold soup, but the recipe does tell you to put it in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.

RIP Chef Bocuse from me too, who was respected in the industry as much as Escoffier, although their styles were very different.

Postby Renée » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks for the links, Sakks. I would love to be able to obtain a Bresse chicken, but I am sure that they are obtainable online. I see that the first recipe is from the Staub website. I already have a Staub casserole dish, but I would like a low cocotte sometime.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:48 pm

I know a proper Bresse chicken is out of the question, Renee! Substitute "whatever chicken fits your budget"!

I was scared to see how much the Staub casserole's Bocuse endorsed cost, as I have not got a metal one (or ceramic one), only an earthenware one. £250 for the size he uses in the demonstration!!! :-0

I had a look round earlier for the cheapest alternatives, and Ikea do a 3 litre cast iron casserole for £30.

EDIT: On the Potage Parmentier/Vichyssoise, the version I'm doing, which seems to be using a direct reference, says this:
"Mr. Bocuse lets the soup cook down and fridges it for 2 hours before he RE-HEATS it and seasons it."

Postby Renée » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 pm

I've had my Staub casserole for quite some time now and I'm sure that it must have been on sale at the time. I've just remembered that it was the only one left in a lovely kitchen shop in Lytham, hence a much cheaper price! Sainsbury's have some shallow cast iron casserole dishes, but they are quite wide.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Speaking of poulet de bresse. (from CNN a few. On the back)

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/bress ... en-france/

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox