Register

FAO Sakkarin/Gillthepainter

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

FAO Sakkarin/Gillthepainter

Postby Puss-in-boots » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:08 pm

I had a post with regards to the new boards here. Now there was a little of an inuendo so to speak but i mean`t no harm in that Wokman was up for it...with a few laughs :lol: :lol: :lol: as in he would help with moderation. I have looked everywhere for him but to no avail. Has the post been deleted without knowledge or am i looking in the wrong place?

Thanks as always

Puss.x

Re: FAO Sakkarin/Gillthepainter

Postby Dover Soul » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:24 pm

I think, not 100% sure, that it was the post you made on your curried parsnip thread asking Sakkarin to move the thread to the veggie board and then it went into cyber space.
The gong has been struck, time to eat

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:00 pm

If it was indeed on the parsnip thread, I accidentally zapped the original into cyber space. :oops:

Postby Puss-in-boots » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Gill don`t worry it really wasn`t on the parsnip thread.

Thanks to you too doversole. It was on one of Sakkarins threads.

Please don`t worry, but you know when its there.... :D ......I think i`m going mad...

Postby Puss-in-boots » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 am

Hi Gill, my appologies, my mistake i really did think it was on one of the other threads, don`t know why, must have been the wine talking. :)

Postby denada » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Do you think you could change the smiley on the Board Index page to one that's smiling? The one there looks so miserable and I don't think any of the refugees are, now we have this Board. :D

Postby Uschi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Heck, I hadn't even looked at the smileys. One of my favourites is :shock:

:D :lol:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Just added some more smilies to the forum, after someone suggested a throwing-up icon might be in order:

Code: Select all
:clap
:clap
 :vomit
:vomit
 :thumbsup
:thumbsup
 :thumbsdown
:thumbsdown
 :wave
:wave
 :stfu
:stfu

If anyone sees any foodie or otherwise appropriate smileys, let me know and I can add them in :ugeek

Postby Wokman » Thu May 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi Sakkarin,

there are some smileys of food and drink etc on H2G2 that you might want to borrow:

http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/smileys

Hope this helps.

Postby Tatihou » Thu May 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Thank you for the andouillette smiley. :vomit
And the others. :clap

And if I ask very nicely, any chance of a tongue-in-cheek smiley too..? as half the remarks I make are tic and sometimes it's helpful to advertise that fact :mrgreen: .

Postby Dena » Thu May 03, 2012 4:26 pm

I'd like a tongue in cheek smiley too :thumbsup

Postby Dena » Thu May 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Not about smileys but are there going to be any parameters on the boards? Although some of the rules on the Beeb were far too strict, I personally feel that too much freedom gives too much leeway!!

It is nice to be able to discuss food without being "off topic" but surely there has to be some form of rule to stop it becoming a free for all. It seems (imho) that we are becoming identical to Wild Food and as was said on the Board Closure thread on the BBC that some posters didn't think it was for them.

Postby cooksalot » Thu May 03, 2012 4:46 pm

I signed up for Wildfood after the Beeb board closed but found that there was too many non-food threads (stuff about cats and cars etc.) There seemed to be a lot of "cosy chat" going on between just a few individuals. Also some spouting of personal opinions (that had nothing to do with food) that put me off.
I'm really hoping that this will be a proper food/drink board - after all if I want to enjoy general chat with my mates I can do that on Facebook, phone or e-mail!

Postby Wokman » Thu May 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi Dena and cooksalot,

I agree that certain rules and regulations should be adhered to, and Sakkarin has made a sticky post for Chatterbox, just like the one I started on the old BBC Food Boards:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=147

It would be nice if users would use that thread for off topic conversations, after all that was the intention of the original Chatterbox and it proved to be quite succesful on the BBC site saving thousands of off topic posts from hijacking genuine food threads.

Having said that, we have to remember that this board is still in it's infancy and needs time to flourish.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Apologies if this is garbled, written though a Man-flu haze. Wokman, your post crossed this!!

....are there going to be any parameters on the boards
I think it's too early for me to start laying down the law heavily, until I've got a feel for what people want from the board. It's been a baptism of fire, and I've had to turn this all around from scratch in a week when I've had 3 all-night work shifts, a complete breakdown of my webserver (extremely unfortunate timing considering I have had the webspace for 16 years now without an outage like that), and now a wretched bout of Man-flu for the last 48 hours which I'm still recovering from.

In an ideal world I would like to try to recreate the spirit of the Beeb Board which existed before the BBCs marketing plans meant that the Food Blog became the driving force and hobbled the board.

At the moment all the posts I've read on the main boards area are Food Topic based. However I understand that some people will want to chat (and Chatterbox was an integral part of the Beeb board in its heyday - albeit one I didn't get involved in), and to tease that away from the Foodie elements, I have set up a secondary Chatterbox area which is not visible on the main Foodie page (click "Board Index" to see it on the top level...), and more importantly it is not visible to non-members. Any threads which are non-food I will transfer there.

I am considering setting up a second sub-forum in that restricted area for board issues, as I don't really want any casual observers to read internal squabbling if it occurs), although initially it may be better just to send any suggestions, comments or criticisms to me or Gill. You can always report a post that you have issues with - I think it is private (i.e. only moderators see the warning triangle). I will double check on that and come back.

Postby BelgianEndive » Thu May 03, 2012 6:59 pm

I hope you are feeling better Sakkarin! Drink: lemonjuice and honey and lots of tea and I hope you are having some food to recover your strength! :)

Postby Dena » Thu May 03, 2012 7:20 pm

So sorry you aren't well Sakkarin. Hope you feel better soon. As Belgian Endive said, lots of honey and lemon (and a touch of scotch or brandy?).

No way was I complaining, I think you have done a marvellous job in setting this up for us, as I have already said, you are a star. I just had concerns and thought I would post them - I completely agree with Wokman :)

Postby cooksalot » Thu May 03, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks for the reply Sakkarin - sorry to hear you have been unwell. :cry: A hot whisky punch might help?
So grateful that you have set up this board and it has been really brilliant so far! Like Dena, I agree with what Wokman has posted.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox