Register

Fruit compotes for breakfast

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Fruit compotes for breakfast

Postby Tatihou » Tue May 01, 2012 9:47 am

In summer, I make a fresh fruit salad as one of the options for breakfast. Fruits are varied, taste great and are reasonably priced. Not so much November through to April - or even early May. So I thought of offering a compote to go with the yogurts, granola, etc. I tried one this week which has been very successful - rhubarb (our own is growing like mad) and orange...

http://cookit.e2bn.org/recipes/172-rhubarb-and-orange-compote.html

Has anyone else any t&t compote recipes which uses fruits in season now?

Re: Fruit compotes for breakfast

Postby BelgianEndive » Tue May 01, 2012 10:09 am

Morning to you Tatihou. I make a "near" compote of seasonal fruit in winter time but I have to admit I use lime and grapefruit in there which of course are not local produce. I peel and cut up 4 apples, add a bit of water and zap in the microwave for 4min on high. The pieces remain just a little al dente. Take the bowl out, add the juice of a lime or lemon and 2 tbsp of liquid honey. I peel (removing the thin membranes as well) and cut the pink grapefruit and put this on top, then scatter a tbsp of vanilla sugar. When cool I put this in the fridge. We have this every morning and it is fabulously fresh. I don't eat yoghurt but OH does. I just eat the fruit.

Elisa

Postby Frillz » Tue May 01, 2012 9:02 pm

I don't have a t&t recipe Tats. You know I'm more of a wing-it, or, as could be politely said - 'experimental' cook.

I'm more known for my err executive skills, so I was wondering about something with apples and possibly cinnamon, even though I don't like cinnamon :mrgreen: I'd have though it might be popular?

Here's a starter
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/apple-compote/ - you wont need it, but it's adding a bit of value to this post ... maybe...

Perhaps you could add some raisins soaked in apple juice?
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Postby denada » Tue May 01, 2012 9:09 pm

I make a compote most Fridays to have for breakfast during the weekend. I try to ring the changes so range between mixed berries in rosewater, maple glazed apple or pear slices, sometimes with dried cranberries and pecans. Rhubarb and orange or strawberries, plums and cardamon.

Postby BelgianEndive » Tue May 01, 2012 10:39 pm

sometimes with dried cranberries and pecans. Rhubarb and orange or strawberries, plums and cardamon.

Hi Denada: I can see by the pecan nuts that you are a Texas girl now! ;) I'm interested in the dried cranberries. What quantity do you use and do you soak them first? Also do you use the whole cardamon pods and how many for a let's say largish bowl?
New fruit is arriving fast with all the red berries, hurray!

Merci! Elisa :D

Postby DEB » Tue May 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Over the sunner and autome I bottel friut which I use for
pie filling
compotes
with youget
etc

Postby denada » Tue May 01, 2012 11:19 pm

BelgianEndive wrote:
sometimes with dried cranberries and pecans. Rhubarb and orange or strawberries, plums and cardamon.

Hi Denada: I can see by the pecan nuts that you are a Texas girl now! ;) I'm interested in the dried cranberries. What quantity do you use and do you soak them first? Also do you use the whole cardamon pods and how many for a let's say largish bowl?
New fruit is arriving fast with all the red berries, hurray!

Merci! Elisa :D

Howdy Elisa, like I was born on a ranch :D . I saute the apple slices in butter till softened, add some maple syrup, water, a small amount of lemon juice, pinch of cinnamon sometimes and a handful of dried cranberries. Stir it around to glaze it all then add some pecans. Sorry I can't be more precise but I just throw it together till it looks right.
With the cardamons, I suppose I use 6 whole pods which I bash with the pestle (or is it the mortar?) to split then add to the plums in a sugar syrup. Don't forget to remove them though before serving! Y'all enjoy now ;)

Postby BelgianEndive » Tue May 01, 2012 11:38 pm

Thank you Denada and the bashing gets done with the pestle but you know that! :D

I'll soon be making those compotes. After lunch we had some quetsch in sirup made by SIL. Very nice they were!

Y'all take care now!

Elisa

Postby AZCook » Wed May 02, 2012 3:56 am

Dried fruit makes a wonderful compote and you don't need to cook it either. Soak the fruit overnight in a roomy bowl with a decent amount of water, as the juice is almost the best part. Add some shavings of lemon rind -zest only - for flavour. In Syria and the Middle East they like to add pine nuts. Dried peaches, apricots, apple rings, prunes make a great combo. Dried blueberries and other berries are great, too. We dry our own fruit when we can - our clinmate is very dry and perfect for drying. I dry bananas, too - makes a great albeit sweet snack - and anything else we have in overabundance.

If you soak a decent amount of dried fruit in a good amount of water, it's great fridged after the overnight soak and used over several days to a week as juice becomes better and beter as time goes on.

Postby denada » Wed May 02, 2012 4:19 am

Ooh yes, I'd forgotten the dried fruit salad,a great standby in winter months. I often add some lemon slices and cinnamon stick to the liquid. As you say, improves with time.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox