Register

Foods you used to hate but now love

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Foods you used to hate but now love

Postby Bababoom » Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 am

I used to hate fennel, but when it started turning up in the veg box, I asked on the BBC board for tips on cooking it to make it less...fennely :oops: So that (thank you :D ) got me into fennel. I used to hate olives but then was forced through politeness into eating some, because they were the least bad option on the table of a dear friend. Now I love them. Similar with chickpeas. I used to loathe gin, but got into it when staying at a friend's house where it was the only booze in the house :lol:

So I'm wondering what Damascene moments you've had with food/drink, and what it was that converted you?

BBxx

Re: Foods you used to hate but now love

Postby scalywitch » Tue May 01, 2012 10:51 am

Cheese, I wouldn't touch it until I was 25, now I cannot get enough of the stuff the stinkier the better. I also hated Fennel and am still not keen unless its cooked, preferably braised. The same with Basil, until I tried Jamie Olivers crispy chicken legs with tomatoes and Basil and the flavour changed completely so I now love it if its cooked.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 01, 2012 10:58 am

Black pepper, till I lived in Spain.

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue May 01, 2012 11:04 am

Brilliant idea for a discussion!
I used to detest anchovies and couldn't understand why anyone would eat them - now I am hooked - I have finally 'got it' - I made little anchoide toasts recently for a group of people and made several new converts too! Anchovies in salsa verde - on everything now, stuffed into lamb, in Puttanesca etc - anchovies all over the place and can't get enough of them!

I used not to like curry - after many years married to a curry-nut - I now love it too, and quite like making different curries

Tarragon - I used to dislike intensely, now I love it!!

Re olives, I've always loved them and perhaps taste-buds are genetic to a certain extent, as all my children love them too - I even used them to bribe them to use the potty - 10 days to train a child on the potty is quite good in my book - all done by the power of the olive!!
HH

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 01, 2012 11:28 am

For me it was fresh coriander, couldn't stand the smell or the taste but when a really good Indian restaurant opened in the UK where I used to live I realised that it was an essential to some cuisines and began to appreciate it.

When I was a child I hated pears - especially the grainy texture. I absolutely could't live without them now - especially with blue cheese.

M used to hate beetroot, tripe and artichokes. In some form or other he enjoys all three now though the tripe has to be in the form of pieds et paquets and even then only cooked by certain people!!

Postby pinkmacaroon » Tue May 01, 2012 11:34 am

As with a lot of children, I couldn't abide spinach, broccoli, cabbage, sprouts or carrots. Now I can't get enough of them, especially cabbage which I eat nearly everyday.

My list is bigger going the other way, things I used to love but now hate!

Postby Frillz » Tue May 01, 2012 11:35 am

I haven't changed my mind about too many things but ginger, horseradish and mustard spring to mind - there's a bit of a theme there :)

Only last week I ate some parma ham and kept it down, it was the easier option than the smoked salmon on offer (I have a problem with certain textures of food) and it wasn't too bad.

On the other hand, I can't see me ever getting on with Coriander and although I have tried and tried with mussels, I just can't manage them.

Oh just seen Joan's post, with Coriander, for me, I'm ok with it in cooked dishes, but if a salsa is very heavy on it, or it crops up in mixed leaves or as a garnish, I have to try avoid.
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue May 01, 2012 11:38 am

The only thing I know that I do not like, in any form yet tried, is tripe!
I would love to be converted and to find it delicious!!
HH

Postby Bababoom » Tue May 01, 2012 11:41 am

HH, I still hate anchovies - would love to be converted, cos I'm very keen on fish (altho my shellfish allergy restricts me quite a bit).

One day, I hope.

Postby Auntie Claire » Tue May 01, 2012 12:18 pm

I used to hate tarka dahl and couldn't understand how a friend could almost live on it. He said that one day I would 'get it' and I did! I don't like the thin, runny stuff that you get sometimes in curry houses - the friend said that I have to ask for it 'like the Parsee's have it'.

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi Bababoom!
Try making a salsa verde - this is my version - a large bunch of parsley - chopped, a few mint leaves - chopped, about 6 (to start with!!!) anchovies - use the ones in oil - zest of a lemon and a little juice- a good tablespoon of capers or gerkins - a chopped clove of garlic - good pinch of salt, pepper and some extra virgin olive oil. Whizz in a little whizzer for ease (although purists would say use a pestle and mortar) - adding more olive oil until you get a thickish mayonnaise consistency, then use as a sauce to go with almost anything - but spectacular with barbecued lamb!!! But I like is so much I just spread it on toast when I get that desire for something savoury :D !

Do try it! If you have a shellfish allergy, rather than a general fish allergy, you shouldn't have a problem.

I hope you get converted!
HH

Postby Frillz » Tue May 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Bababoom wrote:HH, I still hate anchovies - would love to be converted, cos I'm very keen on fish (altho my shellfish allergy restricts me quite a bit).

One day, I hope.

I wonder Bababoom if you ever use anchovies in lamb (pushed into a join as you do with garlic) or if you use anchovy paste in recipes at all?
It might be a means of starting to acclimatise as it were?
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue May 01, 2012 9:06 pm

I always hated the tea and coffee my mother made - an overdose of milk in both of them, so they were both a sort of tepid off-white milky over-sugary nastiness. Most of the time the coffee was that Camp "coffee essence" stuff, which had chicory in it, if anyone remembers it (I think you can still buy it, although I cannot think why anyone would want to).

I think it may have had something to do with the fact that she grew up in the war years, and the rationing that followed, and maybe got used to austerity food.

The end result is that I only ever drank water. I think my taste for them both probably started when I reached 15 or so and began eating out with friends, and the meal always ended with a coffee or tea, and I realised what they are SUPPOSED to taste like. A really strong cup of tea now is heaven, especially after a spicy meal, it somehow enhances it to another level.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 pm

P.S: I suppose technically not a "food" though... she crucified liver too, and as a result I STILL hate that, haunted by memories of cloying grainy lumps of overcooked grey stuff. One day I will make an effort and try some proper liver.

Postby Happy Violas » Tue May 01, 2012 9:23 pm

I know what you mean Sakkarin about tea and coffee ... childhood memories of weak, milky, sweet stuff. I now love tea - splash of skimmed milk and no sugar. I still can't abide coffee though and can even taste it when someone at work uses a coffee spoon to stir the tea! :x

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Sakkkarin

I simply can't do tea - neither can M or my daughter. She can't do coffee either.

As I only drink one or possibly two cups of coffee a day all I can stand is a really good expresso so when we were in the US we had a thin time!!

Postby Dena » Wed May 02, 2012 10:06 am

I used to dislike sweet things and only made puds when entertaining (and quite often then it was only fruit and cheese!!) I used to occasionally crave dark, bitter chocolate but once eaten I could go ages before wanting more. I now love my puds and make them at every opportunity (hence my thread on them).

Like Joan I also disliked tea and only started to drink it when I was given some Earl Gray with no sugar but a slice of lemon as opposed to milk. I now drink sugarless, milkless Earl or Lady Grey and really love it. I prefer it cold too 8-)

Postby Malteaser » Wed May 02, 2012 10:19 am

Yesterday I was discussing this thread with my OH since, over the past few years, he has come to like several food items which before he wouldn't even touch with a barge pole. Cases in point are coffee, all cured meats including bacon, cheese (though not blue cheeses yet). His problem is mainly a texture thing, for example before he would have cheese melted on a pizza but not 'raw'. There must be some more items which I can't remember right now, but with him being more adventurous, life has become much more easier in the kitchen.

Back to me now, can't think of anything that I used to hate but have now started to like. I don't like anchovies, unless melted in a sauce, and won't touch any offal. Oh well perhaps someday ...

Postby Bababoom » Wed May 02, 2012 10:42 am

I think I am absolutely going to try making salsa verde - sounds like my kinda guy. It's funny reading about so many people not liking cheese - I forgot I didn't like it when I was a girl - I think it was living in Switzerland as an au pair girl that brought me round.

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu May 03, 2012 12:38 am

Bababoom wrote:I think I am absolutely going to try making salsa verde - sounds like my kinda guy.

Great! Let us know how you get on!!
HH

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox