Register

Foods you used to hate but now love

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Foods you used to hate but now love

Postby ordinarygull » Thu May 03, 2012 8:22 am

I'm another one who doesn't like anchovies in their whole form (on pizza for example) but love them in puttanesca or salsa verde etc. it's the hairiness of them I can't stand!
We made a salsa verde to go with some hake the other week, very similar to the one HH has supplied, but used wild garlic in it, and it was delicious.

Postby Global_Worming » Thu May 03, 2012 9:59 am

When I was a kid I could not stand spam, since doing research for my book (working title "1000 and I ways with a pink block)I have invented about 30 dishes. Help would be appreciated as I want to finish before I die.
Dish one Spaminboca or translated "from tin to mouth"
Take a 1/4" thick slice of spam, lay a slice of prsut on top then a sage leaf. Fix with a cocktail stick and fry crispy.Serve with a crisp salad and a pint of unfiltered screech.

I will post dish two if anyone is interested.

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 am

GW, watch it. I mean it. Be careful. Hormel Foods, who own Spam, are one of the most litigious companies on the planet. If anyone 'abuses' their brand name in public they get frog-marched (possibly by Mr and Mrs Bruni?) to the nearest gaol. You are supposed to bow, curtsey or genuflect on the *second* syllable of the word "Spam". Optionally, you can raise our right hand in salute. Just a friendly heads-up so we don't end up with Jailhouse Warming instead of Global Worming ;)

Seriously, though, in its place Spam is excellent food. Would anyone like to suggest where is "its place"?

Postby Caz » Thu May 03, 2012 12:35 pm

Haha! I love spam, egg, chips and beans when himself is at work (shifts) and it's just me! Oh with a butty of course :lol:

I can also relate to anchovies. Two things changed my mind... roasted red peppers stuffed with tomatoes, garlic, basil anchovy and olive oil (the anchovy just 'melts' into the rest) and then when I was treated to a birthday meal at a 5* hotel on Richmond Hill and had a ceasar salad starter with fresh anchovies. I suddenly just 'got it' :clap

Caz xxx

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox