Register

Indian Bits and Pieces

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Indian Bits and Pieces

Postby Mamta1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:08 am

Mmmm..., love fruit chaat :thumbsup

Postby Mamta » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:52 pm

I made Aachari Leek bhaji, adding some home made garlic pickle, which i often do, to dry(without sauce) vegetable bhajies (,not pakoras, called bhajies in UK,). Worth a try. I am going to make some green tomato anf potato curry for tonight, just picjed a few tomatoes.
Also worth making Cauli/cabbage bhaji in this season. Just picked some lambsquarter, considered weed in UK and sold as a vegetable in India. I will make a raita with it tonight. Both go well with plain paratha.
Cheers!
PS i got information mails about four old threads here just now, there is no new posting there!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:41 pm

I thought I'd resurrect this Indian thread as I've made a few Indian meals recently, on Thursday a cauliflower curry, which was OK but not spectacular. I am surprised by how few threads we've had discussing Indian Food. This was today's dish:

Yoghurt soup with onion pakora/bhaji
I spotted this "yoghurt soup" in a recipe book the other day (Rafi Fernandez Taste of India, which has my favourite ever daal recipe) and thought it sounded interesting, so with a big pot of that Lancashire Farms yoghurt in the fridge, I thought I'd give it a try. The "soup" was paired in the book with an onion bhaji/pakora recipe, with the comment that with the pakora, it would serve as a main meal.

I'd already made a batch of bhaji earlier in the week, to a Cyrus Todiwaler recipe which used only a tiny bit of gram flour, whereas this Rafi recipe had a huge amount, so I went somewhere in the middle, and they were pretty much perfect to my taste.

I am convinced however that the soup recipe could not be quite right. It purported to serve 4 to 6 using 450ml of yoghourt, with 4 tbs of gram flour, simmered for 10 minutes without any additional liquid. I made a half recipe, with 225ml of yoghurt, but added a fair amount of water to slacken it, and it really only made a single portion (that's ALL of it in the pic). It was finished off with a tarka (spices fried in oil), but for that portion in the pic it specified 1.5 cloves of garlic and 1 inch of ginger, 1.5 chillies and some chilli powder too. It ended up more like a very spicy thick yoghurt sauce for the pakora.

I may check out other recipes for the yoghurt soup, I spotted a few as I planned this meal.

Postby Mamta » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Yoghurt soup that you describe Sakkarin, sounds like a diluted version of a very popular north Indian dish called Kadhi. I realised at least 20 years ago that it will make a nice soup, if diluted a little, see here: http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=10098
The original kadhi is here; http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=12792
Gujrati kadhi can also be served as a soup;
http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=12791
Hope this helps!
Sorry about the long links. It is too fiddly formy old fingers to make URL link on my phone, letters are too small!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:24 pm

Just picked some lambsquarter, considered weed in UK and sold as a vegetable in India.

I'd not heard of this. Always on the lookout for new sorts of veg to grow, now realise it's what we call fat hen. There's a related annual plant called good King Henry which has been cultivated. I read once that Melbourn in Cambridgeshire (and hence presumably Melbourne in Victoria) was so-called because fat hen (old name Melde) was grown there. However, I've also read that nearby Meldreth was named because of a mill, so who knows.

Apparently, children in an earlier generation called it Anty (sp?) and used to smoke it. Both my parents independently told me about this.

Every day a school day... :D

Postby scullion » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:09 pm

our christmas dinner was indian, which included a saag paneer-off between my son and me. he used madhur's recipe from the eastern veg. cookery book (which is usually my bible) and i used mamta's - mamta won.

Postby Mamta » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:15 am

scullion, I am honoured :)

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox