Register

Strange pricing on meat

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Strange pricing on meat

Postby ordinarygull » Wed May 02, 2012 7:20 pm

We just popped into Waitrose for a small piece of Gammon to have tonight, and spotted that they had two sizes of joints - pretty huge and small. The packaging was identical, and there was only one shelf label which said priced individually.
We then noticed that the small joints were 6.99 a kilo, but the larger ones were 4.49 a kilo. I queried it with staff, and the best explanation they could come up with was that it 'might be because it's a Bank Holiday weekend coming up, and people want bigger pieces.'
I bought a piece twice the size than I really wanted, and we will eat if for the next week.
Not convinced by the response though - wonder if I should write to them to ask why?

og

Re: Strange pricing on meat

Postby Suelle » Wed May 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Large sizes of anything are often cheaper per unit measurement than small sizes, although it's usually larger packs of meat (eg 12 drumsticks instead of 4), rather than joints.

I think the explanation is probably almost right though - my guess would be that it's a special offer to persuade people to buy more for the holiday weekend, whether they need it or not.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby mumsays » Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 pm

i think you'll find it's to do with charging for the extra packaging

hopethishelps

:ugeek:

Postby crempog » Thu May 03, 2012 2:31 am

?? £2.50 per kilo for less packaging?

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox