Register

Breadmakers

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Breadmakers

Postby Happy Violas » Thu May 03, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm on my second Panasonic plus auto dispenser and wouldn't be without it. I use the timer at the weekend so we wake up to the smell of fresh bread and the rapid programmes come in handy during the week in the evenings so the bread is cold for sandwiches in the morning. When I first got a breadmaker the choice of strong flour was very limited ... now there are shelves and shelves of choice. My current favourites are rye flour and seeded flours. I often add various seeds or a seed mix (Julian Graves) for texture to the basic mixes. It's definitely earned a place on my worktop :clap

Postby denada » Thu May 03, 2012 8:38 pm

I've made loaves in the machine with and without the vital gluten and have to admit the addition does give a better rise and lighter texture. The book I have does say it can be left out, though recommend not to in denser breads. It advises adding 1-2 teaspoons of gluten per cup of bread flour for most bread. It's recommended it is always used for the Rapid rise cycle.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi Sue

I was given my breadmaker - and was rather sceptical but honestly it is a huge boon as we live so far from the baker. The French bread mixes have turned out to be really rather good, especially if you take them out and shape them by hand.

Postby snowy » Thu May 03, 2012 10:16 pm

I've got a Panasonic too and it makes excellent bread. The first one I had was when we lived in France and was bought in Lidl; it lasted about 4 years and made good bread. I used to buy multigrain flour from Carrefour.

I still make bread by hand too when the mood takes me :).

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox