Register

Jubilee party

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Jubilee party

Postby Lou » Thu May 03, 2012 1:38 pm

Well, it is one month today until the “big lunch” day of the Queens Diamond Jubilee.

As a Massive royalist (unfortunately for my other half), I am throwing a 50s themed garden party.
Menu still needs tweeking, and I will be asking friends to bring a plate of something to add to the pile to make sure there is plenty, and to add to the fun.

I am going to do:
mini pork pies, coronation chicken, cucumber sandwiches, a fancy fairy cake, minature victoria sponges. and I may try eclairs, partly as I can freeze the pastry and fill later, so I can take my time over them.

I am hugely looking forward to it. Is anyone else either attending or throwing a street/garden party?
Have you any special menu plans?

Re: Jubilee party

Postby Wokman » Thu May 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi Lou,

I will be catering for about 30 people at a neighbours party. They have roped me in to do the BBQ so it's going to be a busy day.

The idea is that everyone brings some meat of some description beforehand and then I will marinate it and make it into different dishes.
Sausages and burgers are not on the list for people to bring as we don't want to end up with a mountain of burgers, but I will be doing a few for the kids who might prefer that sort of thing.
There will also be a warm and cold buffet at the same time, so nobody should go home hungry.

I must admit I am looking forward to it.

Postby Lou » Thu May 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Being in charge of the BBQ does make for a busy day, but as the gatekeeper t the hot food, it does mean that everyone has to be very nice to you!

Good idea on the burgers and sausages. I often pick a couple of people out of the invited list and tell them to bring them, sso that I know we have some, but do not end up with 20 odd packets!

What a great idea to have peoplebring their contributions in advance, it will make the food that much nicer, and be less stressfull on the day. I wish I had thought of that last summer.

Am glad I am not the only one who is excited!
Hopefully the weather will hold for us.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 03, 2012 3:35 pm

This probably sounds odd but my "local" neighbours are far more interested in the Jubilee than us. It was the same with the wedding last year.

So yes - they are invited to regard the BBC ( instantaneous translations by M) and to partake afterwards - though they have been told(sorry, asked) to bring the drinks.

Have decided on a traditional afternoon tea with alcholic additions. Sandwiches - cucumber, smoked salmon and egg and cress and cheese savoury (blast from my NE past) . Scones with jam and cream, Welsh cakes, mini sausages rolls. Victoria sponge, Battenburg and a Dundee cake and of course strawberries and cream.

I'll do a lot of the baking as I cook and freeze it. A friend is bringing clotted cream and Pimms from the UK but the sandwiches and scones will be made on the day. We will, I think be 10, so great grandma's tea service will do and I even have enough embroidered linen napkins to go round.

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu May 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Sounds lovely Joan! So nice to think you will be celebrating in France!

We are going up to London for a picnic at a friend's house - conveniently situated next to the river! So we will be watching the flotilla pass by as we eat and toast and cheer!! :clap :clap
HH

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu May 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Perhaps we need a 'waving union jack' to add to the smilies!! :thumbsup
HH

Postby Lou » Thu May 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Oh Joan, what baking do you freeze?
I have never tried it, the choux pastry would be my first ever attempt.
Would the mini victoria sponges freeze well? Unfilled obviously? Are there any sponges I need to avoid freezing?

The more I can do on the run up, the less stressful the actual day!

Your afternoon sounds amazing!

HH, I am jealous. My friends live in London, so we usually visit them for this type of event. But after waking my hosts and boyfriend at 3:30am to beat the crowds last year, I did not want to chance trying to get buy in a for second year running for a similar thing. I was slightly upset when they announced the procession would be on the river. But I am looking forward to the party very much.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi Lou

I am intending to freeze whole Victoria sponges and the Battenberg. The Dundee cake of course will look after itself. Quite honestly most sponges freeze well.

Choux pastry: Don't worry about it - it really is easy and I freeze all the time. It works fine if you just refresh it for a few minutes in a hot oven. Why don't you do a trial run and if you feel you need more help come back here?

Postby Lou » Fri May 04, 2012 10:57 am

Thank you Joan,
I will definitely freeze the victoria sponges and the fairy cakes then (a combination of carrot, chocolate and lemon drizzle I think)
That will allow me to just focus on decorating them the morning of the party, a massive help!

I will give the choux pastry a go early next week and freeze for a couple of days. Thank you for the tip of refreshing it in the oven, I would never have thought of that. I will let you know how it goes.

With all this advance preparation in hand I will probably have time to make some pimms jelly. (famous last words!)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox