Register

Oh what fun! A Riijstaffel!!

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Oh what fun! A Riijstaffel!!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Well done KK

Thinking of booking you for my next birthday party!!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 14, 2012 3:35 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Intelligently, the kids were served chicken nuggets and cheese pastries!

Ha ha ha. That really is planning, Clive.
Thumbs up to you on the day then :thumbsup

Postby AZCook » Mon May 14, 2012 8:53 pm

[quote="karadekoolaid" It's pretty hard work to get everything out at the same time, but I managed it and I think it's down to good planning rather than anything else. [/quote]

It's actually the hardest part, I always think - and I only cook for large extended family groups on occasion an that's hard enough!

Sakk - your Thai spread sounds excellent - kids tender palates aside! - what were some of the dishes you served?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:25 pm

(Whoops didn't answer last question, I'll try and remember later...)

I was talking to a guy at work this morning who has a pancreas disorder, as a result of which he has a very restricted list of foods he is able to eat without becoming very ill. He cannot eat any meat, but is able to eat tofu, and is also a Wing Yip fan (where I got mine from), so tempe is a real option for him.

It reminded me that I had intended to try out one of the Indonesian Tempe recipes, hence this thread resurrected, and my block of tempe dug out of the freezer.

First, here's what the defrosted Tempe looks like before cooking, this is sliced for some deep-fried tempe I will be making tomorrow. I've not seen fresh tempe, so have nothing to compare with, but this certainly didn't look as if freezing has degraded it in any way, it was very firm and plump.

Here is the finished tempe stew I made with the rest of the pack:

I had all sorts of ideas as to what I thought it was going to taste like - it looks peanutty (it isn't), and it also looks vaguely chickpeaish (it isn't). What was most surprising was how little actual flavour it had - not in a bad way, as it meant that all the spices and flavourings remained as they were intended. Texturally it is not like any beancurd (again as I expected it migh) - I also thought it might have that spongeiness of fried beancurd. In fact the closest I can liken the "bite" to is chicken, although without the stringy texture. I know the ingredient that holds the soy beans together is a fungus, again I expected a mushroomy taste, which it didn't have.

It is also very, very filling, I couldn't finish my plateful - about half the tempe in the pic served with plain boiled rice.

The stew I made was a combination of several recipes, I would have used fresh turmeric, but had none left from my last Wing Yip haul, so the turmeric listed here was ground.

Ingredients:
266g tempe
2 lime leaves
1 stalk lemongrass
400ml coconut milk
2 tsp tamarind paste

Coarse paste:
3 red chillies
1 tsp coriander
0.25 tsp cumin
1 tsp white peppercorns
2 candlenuts, toasted
2 tsp galangal
2 tsp turmeric
2 cl garlic
2 shallots
1 tbs palm sugar
1 tsp salt

Cut tempe into bite-sized dice, bruise lemongrass and cut in half, grind paste ingredients coarsely.

Chuck all into a saucepan, and simmer for 30 minutes covered, then simmer for 15 minutes to allow gravy to reduce.

Now to consider ordering some of those preserved tea leaves for the Burmese salad…

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:52 am

Wow! Well done Sakkarin! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:14 am

Jeez, that looks gorgeous, Sakkarin.

I liken tempeh to gougeres or a light dumpling, but it's not an exact comparison. It's almost like a bakery product to me.
I struggle to get my OH to eat it though. Which is a shame.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:00 am

That does look lovely Sakkarin - if only i could lay my hands on the ingredients. :mrgreen:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks for those comments! Just had some for breakfast - again, a really small bowlful made me feel full up, and I can pig-out for England. Maybe a dieting tip there...

Postby efcliz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Ooh, I shall definitely be recreating that. I always have tempeh in the house, both frozen and in jars.

Postby AZCook » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Love Tempeh, Sakk - very nice looking recipe and dish there.

Postby sunflower2 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:55 pm

I make my own tempeh, it's quite fascinating seeing the white mycelium growing.

http://sunflower-recipes.blogspot.co.uk ... empeh.html

Tempeh made into crisps is nice, slice tempeh very thin seasoned with salt and spices then deep fried till crisp.

Here is a recpe http://sunflower-recipes.blogspot.co.uk ... empeh.html

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Impressive project, Sunflower! Even more impressive than the home-made beancurd!

I didn't end up with time to try the deep fried crispy version, unfortunately I had to throw the last of my tempe away as it didn't look too healthy :-( but will undoubtedly get some more next Wing Yip Trip and have another bash at tempeing.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox