Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:22 pm

I took a wheel into a bike shop, they could find nowt wrong. May email as you suggest, I'm sure they must have had similar complaints, after all it's both wheels, front and back.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Fes up time, I can't ride a bike - never could really!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:15 pm

They should be able to offer some sort of explanation, Sakkarin.
I was talking with Tony in the car on the way to a rubbish summer fayre, and he said he bought 9 Specialized innertubes. (offer 9 for the price of 6).

He's on his last one, all went pop pretty quickly.

Otherwise, could be the welding joint of the spokes on the inside?

Joan.
Can you play the piano, hun? Or a musical instrument?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Mr Strictly and I have been watching Celebrity Masterchef this week and have completely fallen in love with former tennis star Henri Leconte. We really hope he gets to the final.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:19 am

I think not being able to ride a bike came from my mother who wouldn't let me have one, becasue the are dangerous

Yes, I play (ed) the piano, the cello and all sizes of recorders.

M never really leaned to swim but he also plays the piano and the bassoon.

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:27 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:Mr Strictly and I have been watching Celebrity Masterchef this week and have completely fallen in love with former tennis star Henri Leconte. We really hope he gets to the final.

Yes, he's very assured about his food. So, as long as he gets to grips with deadline timings... His lamb cutlets made me wince when he didn't seem to rest them and it looked like they were served in a pool of their blood until I remembered it was a red pepper base :lol:

The young woman seems very capable with good instincts, so another one to keep an eye on methinks.

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:37 pm

On cycling, they're introducing one of those roundabouts where cyclists travel round on the outside, but seem to have to cut across vehicles who probably aren't watching out for them, i.e. scary.

Cyclists here are playing up about it and dreading it. The current wisdom of protesters is that cyclists will be safer ignoring the lane and staying in the vehicle lane. Making it a total waste of council tax money and of the incredible six months of disruption apparently needed to build it.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Here's my favourite cycle lane in Watford.

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Sakkarin, eh? Is that one where they expect cyclists to un-clip toe straps whilst cycling in order to dismount and walk across the junction? Some of these designs come under "Has to be seen to be believed" don't they?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:30 am

I used to cycle everywhere as a kid, then again in London I cycled everywhere for years, such an easy way of getting about while keeping fit, eyesight not up to it now

Postby miss-mouse » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:15 am

jeral wrote:Sakkarin, eh? Is that one where they expect cyclists to un-clip toe straps whilst cycling in order to dismount and walk across the junction? Some of these designs come under "Has to be seen to be believed" don't they?

This is probably completely wrong. What I would do on my bike is head for that lane to the left of the bollards ahead which assuming that this has traffic lights will put me nicely on the road straight ahead. Or I will be wiped out by the traffic from the left...which I think has ped crossing signals. Oh dear.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:14 am

That's shocking.
Our cycle lanes are horrible here. Some of our inner town roads have a big white cycle logos bang in the middle.

What's that about.

I resolved never to cycle defensively when I picked up cycling again 5 years ago.
I claim my road space, never in the gutter or on the pavement.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:15 am

Miss Mouse
What bike do you have please?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:10 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:What's that about.

Do they commemorate points where taxis have knocked cyclists over?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Fab crazy piccies by the artist Tanaka Tatsuya on this website, moany of them involving food.
http://miniature-calendar.com/

How Sushi is made:
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A246D21

How Tiramisu is made:
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A22CE67

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:49 am

There must be a lot of relieved parents teachers and youngesters - not to mention grandparents around this morning.
Jersey GD got 1 A*, 3 As and 4 Bs (they haven't changed systems there)
Dorset GD got 2 9s(for English) and a 7 for maths, 4 A* and 4 As

Many congratulations to them and all the others who have works so hard - not forgetting their teachers.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:25 pm

I am confused that a 9 is now Good, it has always been 1 came first!

Re cycling, I got into a Twitter argument with someone local recently because I complained about adults cycling on the pavements round here

During which she said "adults cycling on the pavement are not necessarily inconsiderate" :o

As a visually impaired person I beg to differ - they always assume you can see them despite their refusal to wear hi-vis (or show any other sign of common sense)

I actually think hi-vis should be a legal requirement (mind you lights and reflectors are a legal requirement but not enforced), just before I stopped driving I counted the cyclists on a one mile stretch of busy London road after dark (from Finsbury Park to Stoke Newington Stations). 9/10 had neither hi-vis nor lights, most of those 9 wore very dark clothing and I didn't spot a lot of helmets (most of which of course qualify as hi-vis). Bear in mind those are just the ones I spotted!

Thinking of the young man who killed a pedestrian while riding a bike not street legal, it occurs to me that although not working on that day he'd been working as a courier on that death trap, isn't is up to courier firms to ensure bikes are suitable, and perhaps enforce some kind of Cycling Proficiency test ? (Only talking about couriers, not casual cyclists or commuters), I suspect the insurance companies might pick this up as they started to enforce checks on pizza delivery drivers some years back

Postby Renée » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks for those links and photo, Sakkarin. What fun!

I don't ride a bike these days, but used to cycle three miles through Blackpool to college in my teens. I always felt very safe! :lol: I really don't know how I came to that conclusion! I complained recently about cars who park partly on the pavement and completely block cycle lanes. It is against the law to do this.

Very well done to your GDs Joan! It must be a very stressful time for all before the results come out.

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:54 am

Hi Renée and hope you had a rewarding time Darn Sarf, hopefully with at least an odd day of sunshine.

Nice weather here today although the forecast is mediocre at best now it's autumn. Time to do a stocktake on my daylight-bright light bulbs.
---

On cycling, it was in the news today that they'll soon (well soon-ish) be trialling driverless lorries intended to run close together like a convoy. I'd love to see how they test the programming for stupid roundabouts where cyclist have to flit across in front of them like moths without warning. Maybe cyclists in future can have jet packs to raise bikes above them 8-)

On exam pass grades revamp, I can't imagine how bad the kids who get low to lowest grades will feel. From what they say, 9-7 is likely to be considered a good norm so a 6 would be bad enough but I think I'd lose the will to live if I got a 1, not to mention the stress some kids are under from pressure of parents who are paying huge school fees. Makes me shudder for them all. It was also said by a couple of students that coursework had been replaced by exam-strategy and data by rote learning, which isn't learning and understanding, but I guess The Powers That Be have their reasons- let's hope they're the right ones.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Here's a gadget I bet you didn't think you'd ever need! Save 15% if you buy three...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pigeon-Quail- ... SwwyFZdv8H

As for cycling, this made my eyes boggle earlier...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgF_j1FPxhk

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox