Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Good-O.
Sounds as though he's fine then. And hopefully just far too busy.

I've just accidentally deleted my photos from my camera memory card. Well windows did it, without my even touching a delete button.
With the help of people on Peet's Archers board, I've got them all back.
Phew.
Touch n go there for a minute.

Postby Petronius » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Much relief Gill, eh?

Glad you enjoyed yourselves Suffs.

Pinochet - mmm, best not go there.

Art Tutor introduced us to oils today - first painting see below - as I was just playing around did some apples from memory - and yes I know apples are perfectly round etc. Next week lemons - though still life. Don't think you've got much competition Gill! :lol:

apples.jpg
apples.jpg (141.84 KiB) Viewed 3520 times

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Really lovely painting Dennis ... you should be very happy with that ... no apples aren't perfectly round ... take it from me ...I was once commissioned to do a large painting of apples of several varieties for the owner of a commercial orchard ... none of them were round.

Postby Renée » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:27 am

Your painting has turned out really well Dennis!

Thank goodness you got your photos back, Gill. A moment of panic indeed.

Having problems with Internet Explorer at the moment. Websites keep crashing when I go into them and click on a link. Luckily I have Opera.

Postby Petronius » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Especially pleased because the 'canvas' I was using was half a roll of yellow washable wallpaper we'd used in the bathroom, with some gesso plastered on. The yellow bit in the photo is the original colour. Also, the tutor had brought along about six old tubes of paint, so limited palette and using some old craft brushes we had at home that looked more like old tooth brushes.

Although I've got Firefox, these days I use Chrome, works for me.

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:25 pm

I wondered Petronius what the canvas was as those proper ones stretched and stapled around a backing board cost loadsamoney. My dad used to use the wrong side of hardboard (rough with tiny squares) gesso'd. Dunno if hardboard is even around now except maybe in 8ft x 4ft sheets. I never managed to get the sort of luminousness I hoped for, but the archaic genius artists used iridescent things underlying the paint, the clever clogs.

One thing you might like about oils is that you can overpaint (if you let them dry first!) to your heart's content :D I think artists sensibly have more than one on the go to avoid impatient tweaking don't they? My brushes are still fine, but I can't get the tops of most of my numerous old tubes of paint now. If I buy any more, I shall rub the screw thread with cold cream :)

Postby Petronius » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks Jeral, places like the Works, the Range and our town's general store do stretched canvas on a frame, ready gesso'd (new word for me :D ) which are quite cheap. I've a few around the place used for various experiments. I've got plenty of small bits of boards including 1.5mm ply. I think the Mona Lisa was painted on wood. Interestingly our tutor prefers to paint on a smooth surface.

Overpainting – yes, I think I will like that.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:41 am

That's good Dennis. You should get to like oils I hope.
Dark to light.
You've got the darks on a treat.

I tend to paint wet on wet. But you can wait for it all to dry, then paint your next pass, or layer. Your apples with then ping out.
If you over paint this "panel", try sanding it first with a black n decker.

Hi Jeral.
Tube lids come off easily when immersed in hot kettle water for 5 secs. Not too long, just enough to soften the gunk.

Postby Petronius » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Dark to light.
You've got the darks on a treat.

I'm glad about that - started with yellow (cadmium?) on each apple, followed by the red (Alizarin or maybe cadmium red), the dark bits are French Ultramarine. All wet into wet. Followed my usual pattern with water colours, which I know is wrong for oils, but somehow it worked.

Black and Decker - that's something I'll do at home - in the shed!

Postby jeral » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Interesting. I always thought cadmium yellow was the worst rogue colour so ill advised, I think because it didn't stay true. Maybe that is not so now?

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Alizarin red is cold. Got a blue tinge to it - cold colours go back.
Warm colours come forward.
If you paint a portrait with alizarin red on the nose, it looks like a hole in the face as it goes back so far. ;o)

Hue colours don't stay true.
It's a good idea not to buy hue - hardly any colour pigment. But they are cheap!

I can see alizarin, cadmium or lemon yellow. Cadmium red is your warm red.

Tidy colour palette there, Dennis.

Postby Petronius » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Nothing would make my nose go back Gill. :D

In watercolour mostly I use three primaries as in lemon yellow, permanent rose and french ultramarine. Recently (sunflower) three earth colours also.

For oils I think I'll have to add a green and black – never used that in watercolour. Learning is good for me, I hope!

Postby Suffs » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Instead of black I use Paynes Grey, and then mix with a red, blue or green as needed.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:12 pm

Yip, I really like that colour, Suffs.

Been painting my frames today. I've got a joint exhibition in 4 weeks.
And instead of getting down to painting my ideas to actually go into the frames, I've been sewing.
Someone point me in the right direction and get me pulling my finger out, will-ya.

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:...[clip]...
Someone point me in the right direction and get me pulling my finger out, will-ya.

I shan't as sewing translates as thinking in the background as you know full well and your mind's eye will be ready when it's ready once you've figured out what it's stuck on.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks, Jeral.
I shall do one more day of sewing then! - I've got a bomber jacket that is too tight at the bottom, it goes straight down rather than tapering out, as a woman's shape is.
I need to unpick the a seam and let it out a cm.

Postby Petronius » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:44 am

Sewing is your displacement activity Gill, we all do it, time to give it up and get on ...

Talking of which, goat stew in the slow cooker here. Used a sort of lamb recipe, with a bit of red wine. Our butcher's started selling goat, thought I'd give it a go. Diced goat £10.50 a kilo, I bought half.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:14 am

We are also wanting to try goat thanks to one of the GBBO bakers using it on one of his showstopper bakes a few weeks ago. Our local Asian/Caribbean food store sometimes sells it but I think I was too late when I was in there a few days ago. I had it when I was a child a couple of times during a holiday in Portugal. When I eventually get some I'll probably make a stew in the slow cooker as well.

Postby Suffs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Love goat ... I used to have a herd of dairy goats when we had the smallholding, so the male kids were castrated and fattened up ... goat/kid meat was very hard to get hold of in rural Suffolk back in the early 80s ... a local Indian restaurant owner gave us free meals for a whole year for half a fattened kid.

My daughter's in laws are from Antigua and some 20 years ago her future MIL taught her to make Curry Goat their family way ... now it's a regular in DD's large slow cooker and then frozen in portions ... Ipswich has long had a thriving Caribbean community and goat has always been available from several butchers in the town.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:32 pm

I can get goat and mutton for curries, chopped bone in, any day. A joint I'd have to book in advance

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox