Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Haha!! they remind me of something - just can't think what!

I used to have a small china stand that looked like a laydee's chest with two very round S&P's where her boobies would be....trashy - just sayin'

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:47 pm

I am afraid I had to Google "boob cruet" to see what you might mean, and there are some strange contrivances there - I can't imagine how a snowman got in on the action...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=boob+ ... 54&bih=738

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 pm

You know what these snowmen are like - just can't trust 'em!

I saw the pic of the one we had - about second row along - don't know if this link is going straight there tho'

https://goo.gl/images/zRbC6Q

Postby Renée » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:56 am

Never mind the "boobs", did you see the two pigs? :o

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:00 pm

They've clipped them together wrong, Renee, they're supposed to join like this, all clean, harmless fun...

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm

I've got one of these - given to me by a neighbour for a wedding anniversary present

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=boob+ ... 69RoVHaYZM:

Can't say I've ever used it!

Postby Renée » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:56 pm

That's much better Sakkarin.

Joan, I'm not surprised that you haven't used them. I just use sea salt in the tub from Waitrose and black peppercorns in an Oxo grinder which I like very much.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Salt and pepper are rarely put out on a French table renee. It is assumed always that the cook will have got the seasoning correct!

Postby Renée » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:57 pm

I never put salt and pepper on the table if family come for a meal or Colin is here. People seem to have cut down a lot on salt.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:43 am

I like the chicken ones, but the panda set is rather odd.
Toaster one on your link look good, Lush. I'd have those out for Christmas day scrambled eggs and salmon.

Inspired by this thread, I shall dig out my silver cruet set.
Bought with the last Christmas money my mum gave us.

New table is lovely, so it should look fine on there.
I've scrubbed off the excessive use of beeswax. And applied my own coating of wood protector, that I use on my frames.

Postby Suffs » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:55 pm

I was going to get these http://quailceramics.co.uk/dogs/labrado ... per-black/ for my brother and sister in law for Christmas, but they were out of stock so I've got them something else.
I'll have to get an order in early for next year .... they have two black labs :tiptoesanta

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Renée wrote:I never put salt and pepper on the table if family come for a meal or Colin is here. People seem to have cut down a lot on salt.

I'm always of the mind, rightly or wrongly , that salt added to food during cooking,or at the table is at least visible and can be controlled. It's all the hidden salt, especially when people eat a lot of refined and processed foods , that I think is more dangerous

Postby Pampy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:14 pm

I completely agree Amy.
Also, I've always thought that it's somewhat conceited of chefs to think that the seasoning that they use is perfect for everyone. It may contribute to the flavour that they wish to achieve but it doesn't mean that everyone else's taste buds are the same as theirs!

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 pm

Thanks Pampy . And it is true that everyone's taste buds are different. I always use quite a lot of salt on roast potatoes /chips and pork. I never add salt at the table to lamb or beef. Green veg I tend to pepper liberally but not salt.

Postby Renée » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:02 pm

I use very little in cooking, but always on poached or boiled eggs and lots of black pepper.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:15 pm

We lunched at our chef friend's restaurant today. As always his food was perfectly seasoned. He does have salt. pepper and olive oil on the table. A party of 4 arrived and when their fist course was served, and without tasting it, they simply picked up all three and applied them liberally. Why anyone would want to add olive oil to truffled scrambled eggs I can't imagine. Thet were so busy talking to each other they simply didn't seem to notice what had been placed in front of them.

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Joanbunting, I wonder if the fact that something is on the table perhaps implies you're supposed to use them? I don't mean salt since as we know that there are people who'll always sprinkle salt before tasting, but for example when JO cooks in his Italian style he drizzles EVOO over everything quite unnecessarily but seemingly it's the done thing. Maybe it's a "When in Rome..." thing to use it?

As I can't eat butter, I always ask for veg without. One server proudly told me that Chef had drizzled them with oil to give the desired glaze. Bless. To me, Eugh, oily veg (which I left as not even OO). To the chef apparently veg weren't "right" if not with a glisten.

We're all different though. I know someone who insists on white pepper on eggs. Nothing to do with taste, but it just being "wrong" to have black pepper specks on them clashing with the perfect white and yellow. I must confess though, I've stopped adding black pepper when cooking an omelette as it sinks and looks like the pan non-stick coating is coming off. It took me a minute or three to work out it was the pepper, Doh!
---

Meanwhile, I'm on the hunt for a perfect vegan cream that thick enough to be a layer rather than something that soaks in or doesn't "set". I don't have a good enough blender to turn cashews into cream so I'm thinking tofu might be my friend...

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Joanbunting: How are both of your restaurant friends faring? I imagine it's the off season for tourism aside from Christmas activity so I hope both are doing well generally.

Any news on your Danish friend?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:55 pm

I don't believe that there is any such thing as "perfectly" or "correctly" seasoned, how can there be? We are all born genetically distinct and eat different foods throughout our lives, it would be weird if we reached a complete consensus on the seasoning required for each dish

I think it's sheer arrogance for a chef to assume that their palate is "correct" and those of the paying (remember that, paying) customers are inferior.

But I do think you should taste before adjusting! And I do put salt and pepper on the table, as I believe it's up to the eater how much they want. But I don't use or own a salt and pepper set as I don't use pre-ground pepper

On the whole for my taste chefs put too much salt and not enough pepper into vegetable dishes, meat stands up to more variation to me.

Postby Petronius » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:29 am

Many times, after eating out, I've said it was fine but too salty for me. Now my body needs more salt, a handful of crisps a day seems to work - I like my food to taste how I like it. We do salt roasties - on the plate.

We've a pair of upside down grinders - works a treat, no mess on the table.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox