Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 am

Will do, Dennis. I'll be finishing it tomorrow - and using the lemons back home in the kitchen.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Speaking of lemons, I have a huge Spanish lemon I bought the other day, and want to use it because it is so majestic, but cannot make my mind up. I certainly don't want it to meet the fate that my lemons so often do, just withering and drying out in the fridge till they are as hard as yellow conkers, and then chucked out. What would you do with one huge lemon? Lots of pork loin in the fridge as a starter, all three minces (pork, lamb, beef) and prawns in the freezer.

Postby Pampy » Thu May 18, 2017 12:37 pm

A lemon and ginger drink. Soy and honey glazed salmon (needs 1 tbsp lemon juice).
Speaking of lemons, I bought 2 Sicilian lemons from Booth's a few weeks ago - cost a fortune (about £3) - took one out of the fridge the next day to find it was bad! Hmm - not impressed!

Postby QinNortham » Thu May 18, 2017 1:26 pm

I often zest lemons & freeze the zest in tiny pots and then squeeze the juice into ice cube trays (if very juicy). Works quite well.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Such excitement. Because I used to do a regular slot on BBC Radido Newcastle they still ring me up to seek opinions from "abroad."

Recently I told someone that this would be the last UK election in which we will be able to vote because of the 15 year rule. The BBC are supposed to be contacting me/us because no-one seemed to know about it - we do still pay taxes in the UK!

Postby Petronius » Thu May 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Sorry about that Sakks, name change came about because my iPad decided not to co-operate with the iMac. At the time Gill sent details to get back to dennispc, but I'm a coward - if it works don't fix it.

nee dennispc :roll:

Postby Renée » Thu May 18, 2017 10:51 pm

Good heavens Joan, I'm surprised at that. Presumably you both have British passports, as well as paying taxes here.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am

Renée wrote:Good heavens Joan, I'm surprised at that. Presumably you both have British passports, as well as paying taxes here.

We pay taxes here too Renee and yes we have British passports. For how long I don't know we are well down the route of applying for French citizenship, we have permanent residency.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 19, 2017 9:44 pm

I made this recipe in the end, mainly because I found very few which featured pork and lemon, and this was the first recipe which comes up in Google. I'm afraid it was pretty unpleasant :-(

http://www.marthastewart.com/925230/garlic-lemon-pork

Postby Renée » Sat May 20, 2017 12:37 am

It's a Martha Stewart recipe. What a shame and a waste of a lemon. :crying2

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat May 20, 2017 10:20 am

Renée wrote:It's a Martha Stewart recipe
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I know nothing about her, I did a quick Google and it sounds as if she's primarily a media celebrity of sorts rather than being particularly good at anything other than marketing...

Postby Renée » Sat May 20, 2017 10:59 am

You've got that spot on, although many people obviously like her recipes! She's not someone that I would choose when looking for a recipe.

Postby Renée » Sat May 20, 2017 11:12 am

I get the occasional e-mail from Great British Chefs, where there are some lovely recipes. I rather fancy making this Mexican pork shoulder recipe, which was in this morning's e-mail.

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipe ... itishChefs

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Sakkarin
Martha Stewart started as a swimwear model became famous for a TV program on fatuous "crafts", like decorating the Christmas table with flowers made out of old egg boxes or such like, she was done for tax evasion too I think
I'd certainly take her advice on wrapping a wedding present but possibly not on cooking She is revered in some parts of the US

Postby miss-mouse » Sat May 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Stokey Sue wrote: she was done for tax evasion too I think

I'd certainly take her advice on wrapping a wedding present but possibly not on cooking She is revered in some parts of the US

Insider dealing I think. She went to prison, transformed the lives of the inmates and smugly lost weight.

She has a 'wrapping room' dedicated to present wrapping sundries.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 21, 2017 11:18 am

This really is a parallel universe, where a market stall charges £80 for a meal for two, in this Jay Rayner article.

The figures he quotes at the end of the article for the losses made by Wagamama's Alan Yau on a recent project are eyewateringly other-worldly too. How can you lose £6.8 million in a year when your restaurant is connected to Wagamama??? That's £130,000 a week, nearly £20,000 a day. If they had 100 covers a day, that's a loss of £200 per cover. WIth roast duck at £95? No.

Where does all that money come from, who picks up the almighty tab? Is Alan Yau going to be declared bankrupt? I bet his next project is already in the pipeline. As I said, it's a parallel universe.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... jay-rayner

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 am

Have to say I think the no yeast & no mushrooms was on a really extreme US web site. Someone posted along the lines of "are rocks OK because I've no idea what you might be eating?" I was rather amused by that comment.

For some reason I have woken up this morning thinking "surely vegans shouldn't eat calcareous rocks - chalk & limestone - as they were once seafood." How petroleum-derived products are acceptable has always puzzled me too.

Postby QinNortham » Tue May 23, 2017 10:01 am

Badger's Mate, as I said it was a very extreme US website. Our vegan house sitters weren't anything like that although they did bring their own chopping boards & knives plus they drank industrial quantities of some sort of green gunk (it was a powder mixed with still bottled water). Not quite sure how that lay with the industrial quantities of red wine they drank.

Postby Petronius » Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 pm

I hope the red wine was vegan. One of our local pubs has a vegan wine menu. Google, 'is red wine vegan' if you want to know more.

The issue for vegans is about whether the animals/fish etc., are sentinent. Creatures long dead don't come into that category. Vegan sites have many discussions about molluscs etc.

Postby QinNortham » Tue May 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Petronious, yes the red wine was vegan, I'd bought it from the local Health Food shop and the pub/hotel across the road sold vegan beer.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox