Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Petronius » Tue May 23, 2017 7:11 pm

To be honest Qi, I didn't know there was wine that was vegan until I noticed the pub's menu.

Once I offered my vegan friend some Bertolli to go with my bread. Contains whey apparently.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 am

Once I offered my vegan friend some Bertolli to go with my bread. Contains whey apparently

The power of Marketing. Give it an Italian name, refer to olives in a healthy Mediterranean diet. Stick a picture of some olives and a rustic Italinate scene (complete with Lombardy poplars) on the carton.

Essentially it's a mixture of cheap vegetable oil and water plus some additives, one of which is olive oil... :thumbsdown

Postby Petronius » Wed May 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Essentially it's a mixture of cheap vegetable oil and water plus some additives, one of which is olive oil... :thumbsdown

Thanks Badger's Mate, no wonder I'm so healthy! ;)

Can't say I've ever noticed the Italian scene, we started buying it because of the olive oil. My friend puts olive oil into a plastic box which goes in the freezer in order to make a spread. Timing is all as it needs to come out so it can be used.

Looks like we'll have to go back to butter. :roll:

Postby jeral » Wed May 24, 2017 3:16 pm

A vegan friend of mine just spreads EVOO on bread if required, although he never really liked spreads anyway so doesn't bother with the couple of vegan spreads out there.

Interesting quandary about vegans legitimately eating fossilized wotnots. Probably whatever "feels right" rather than worrying about whatever is the current moral concept used to define hypocrisy?

Postby Petronius » Wed May 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Jeral, I lurk on a Vegan Forum just to keep up to date, but some threads raise my eyebrows, such as 'is my smart phone a sentient being?' and another too rude to mention!

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 25, 2017 10:55 am

jeral wrote:A vegan friend of mine just spreads EVOO on bread if required, although he never really liked spreads anyway so doesn't bother with the couple of vegan spreads out there.

Interesting quandary about vegans legitimately eating fossilized wotnots. Probably whatever "feels right" rather than worrying about whatever is the current moral concept used to define hypocrisy?

If you put good olive oil (or any come to that) in the fridge it solidifies an can be spread. It is very common here and by far and away the simplest solution. No need for those ghastly spreads.

Postby Petronius » Thu May 25, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks Joan, previous attempts at fridge temperatures haven't been that successful. Maybe the fridge needs to be cooler.

Postby Petronius » Thu May 25, 2017 12:49 pm

You may recall that some of my birthday arrangements went a bit haywire and I posted on another thread, which I hope didn't confuse you. Here's the final bit.

I got my Yorkshire birthday cake in the end. Nothing like Nanna's but it's the thought that counts. Our five hour train journey was worth it. She and her boyfriend cooked a lovely potato and sausage dish in the evening. Now back on track with arrangements.

Cake.JPG
Cake.JPG (218.54 KiB) Viewed 4491 times

Friday morning pre-booked (senior card) ticket from York to King's Cross, £34 First Class on Virgin. Bargain, compared to the late booked tickets going up. Thus began my post birthday weekend, lunch with daughter – moules in St Pancras. OK but … Saturday was a trip to Oxford, walked the canal, coffee in Jericho, it happened to be Artist Open Studio week so some delightful chats with artists and one floor of the Ashmolean, snack lunch there, delicious but puzzled as to how they get their rye bread so soft.

Sunday, daughter and partner do open water swimming at a local lake – set off with them at 7.15am, lovely chat with other swimmers whilst they did their thing. Coffee at the Waterfront, walk along the Thames, weather beautiful and mowed their lawn for them in the afternoon. Came home Monday morning – OH still in Yorkshire, booked a cottage with another daughter and friends for girlie and stitching time.

All's well that ends well and even the bookends went well.

Postby Renée » Thu May 25, 2017 1:58 pm

What an attractive cake, Dennis! I'm pleased that you had such a wonderful post-birthday time! Did you have the moules at Antonio Carluccio's restaurant at St. Pancras? I went there last October with a friend that I'd been staying with on Mersea Island and met up with another friend who had travelled over from The Hague. Interesting about the rye bread, because I had some wonderful rye breads in the Netherlands.

Joan, that's such a good tip about the olive oil, which I find difficult to spread on bread.

Postby Petronius » Thu May 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Yes, that Carluccio's. We had delicious asparagus as a starter. Our late (two days) arrival gave her a second go at the cake, apparently the first didn't rise much.

She picked us up from Malton station in her own little car, which gave Nanna a fine chance to have a chat. Strange how boyfriends take priority! :D She's lovely and deserves to be happy.

Postby Renée » Thu May 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Oh yes! :D

I'm meeting my 20 year old granddaughter, Charlotte, outside San Carlos restaurant in Manchester tomorrow, but we're eating at Cote Brasserie, which has a much quieter atmosphere so that we can talk. She arrived home from Swansea University yesterday for the summer break.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 am

Have a lovely time, Renee.
Can't believe she's 20!

Soft rye? Perhaps the olive oil in there. Same with chapattis, if you add oil they are softer.

Tony's now in training for his open water swim in September, Dennis.
mainly no alcohol.
But food gets more regimented - no pasta unless 3 days before a long distance train. No tomatoes unless ............. you get the idea.

Lucky on the open studios event. Mine is in 2 weeks time so I'm busy putting frames together at the moment.
And going out to the malverns today to paint a field of flax (stunning colours).
I'd better take a hat.

Postby Petronius » Fri May 26, 2017 9:32 am

Is that the river Dart one Gill? Daughter's planning a cross channel relay next year.

I so enjoy open studio events. What always surprises me is how pleased artists are when you say how good a particular painting is? But I just love chatting with them, those who like to chat that is.

My dream would be to have enough money to go round each studio and buy just one thing - what joy. Mind you I need a shed the size of B&Q to display them. :D

Did you finish the lemon painting Gill?

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 26, 2017 9:50 am

Not quite, Dennis.
I'll post a pic when it's in it's frame next week.

And yes, the Dart.
Tony was offered a channel relay place a couple of years ago, but he cannot take the cold. is your daughter a skins swimmer?
That's always impressive.

And as you say, not all artists want to engage.
I'm one of the chatty ones - I know, you're shocked. I seem so quiet ;)

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 26, 2017 10:45 am

Renee I can't belive Charlotte is 20. It seems like no time at all sinceshe was hoping to go to uni. Hope she is well and still enjoying life. Hope you had a lovely time together.

Tabitha and Taya are both mid GCSE, but seem to be coping well.

Postby Petronius » Fri May 26, 2017 2:33 pm

Gillthepainter wrote: I'm one of the chatty ones - I know, you're shocked. I seem so quiet ;)

I've always thought so. :D

Yes, they did the Big Chill in February on Lake Windermere, only skins allowed. A few weeks back, at their local lake, safety is very tight in the winter. Part of the lake was frozen, it was decided everyone would just swim to the ice and back!

Strangely, she was a cold morsel growing up and it's only since taking up swimming she's been able to take the cold.

Gill, your priority is the open studio event, a photo of your lemons can wait. (Thinks, that didn't come out right did it :oops:)

Enjoy your time painting today.

Postby Pampy » Tue May 30, 2017 8:20 pm

Postby Renée » Tue May 30, 2017 10:38 pm

Charlotte is doing well at University, Joan. She is such good company and is very kind and caring. My friends remember her as a little girl standing on a step in the kitchen, helping to cook. I took this photo in the restaurant. She had borrowed her mum's dress!

Postby Petronius » Wed May 31, 2017 11:05 am

Pampy wrote:Just seen this (for vegans) http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/v ... _hp_ref=uk

I fell about laughing when I read that there was no animals used in the testing. :lol: Best not go there, eh?

Postby Joanbunting » Wed May 31, 2017 4:22 pm

Yikes Dennis.

Renne Charlotte looks so pretty and her character really shines through. Glad you both had such a good time together.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox