Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:46 pm

They raise goats on the farm next door for milk and meat, just as you did Suffs. Having lived in the caribbean for 6 years I too love curry goat unfortunately I make it with caribbean strength spices which to locals find much too spicy and our expat friends turn up their noses in horror at the thought of goat :lol: All the more for M and me.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi Joan

Do your expat friends turn their nose up at goats cheese as well? If not, I find that a bit strange to be honest. Domesticated goats are still commercial livestock after all, just as much as sheep, cows, pigs and poultry. I must admit I haven't liked the flavour of goats cheese very much in the past. However, I last had some about 20 years ago and my tastes have changed quite a lot in that time. What's the betting that the next time I get the opportunity to try some I will like it, now my palate can cope with bitter things a lot easier these days.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:34 pm

I think people are very resistant to animals they haven't eaten before
Game I sort of understand, but as well as goat I've known people horrified by the idea of goose, guinea fowl, veal and even duck because it's novel

I know people think veal is cruel, but since crate veal was abolished a quarter century ago it's not really different to lamb IMO

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:47 pm

I agree with you re veal Stokey Sue. I would be very happy if rose veal was more widely available , hence becoming more popular. This would enable dairy farmers to make use of male dairy calves as a commodity and boost their income. It also saves unnecessary wastage.

I am not afraid to try new meats, and duck has been our Christmas joint of choice more than any other in the last decade or so since I've been cooking 'the big meal' for Mr Strictly and I. Sorry to mention the C-word before Halloween by the way :oops: !

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi Clare,

No, they don't like goat cheeses either - too goaty apparently.

I know a lot of people who just won't eat veal and an even more surprising number who refuse to eat lamb. as for rabbit or hare :o :o

Postby Suffs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Joanbunting wrote: ...

I know a lot of people who just won't eat veal and an even more surprising number who refuse to eat lamb. as for rabbit or hare :o :o

I've met some of these people ... I'm afraid I just don't understand them :? What I understand even less is that they think I'm the weird one :shock: :roll: :lol:

Postby Petronius » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:22 pm

One of OH's friends turned her nose up in disgust when she knew I'd bought goat.

Duck? Forgot to mention (or perhaps I did) bought a couple of free range duck breasts at the local farmers' market, someone on here had given advice about putting them in a cold pan and then on the heat. Worked a treat. So thank you.

Last Christmas, some friends at home for the day bought themselves two steaks from Aldi. Thoroughly enjoyed them

OH has goat's cheese regularly, I'm OK with it, but then I'm not that keen on cheese anyway. Lot of difference in taste between goat's cheese and goat stew!

And finally (for now), a little while ago there was a tremendous hoo hah about Toblerone having less peaks, with big gaps in between. Today I bought my first ever bar.

Toblerone.jpg
Toblerone.jpg (133.27 KiB) Viewed 4325 times

Apparently, the reduced bar was produced especially for Poundland. I never knew that. Says it all really.

Postby Renée » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Ahhh ... yes, of course it does. I was in there this morning, just killing time before my hair appointment.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:29 am

Aldi has bought their steak back as an offer this week I think. Man steak, is it something like that?

Rarely eat cheese here, I'm like you Dennis.
It could sit in the fridge until, on the off chance, I might need some. My husband really likes it though, so it's bought regularly.
But I do like goats cheese.
Selle sur cher is delicious to my mind.

And I will take a cheese board rather than dessert in a restaurant.

How did you find the Toblerone?

Postby Renée » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:27 am

Do you remember Gillian McKeith of the "poo" fame? I think we mentioned her recently. There's a picture of her with her with her daughter. What does she look like? :o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... erent.html

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:40 pm

We were talking of mutton, Renee.

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:18 pm

That should never be contemplated over the age of 15 ............. or possibly 12 :roll:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:49 am

Indeedy, Suffs.

A bit fresh out today, but not raining, so I'm not complaining.
We are on the hunt for an old dining table. Our local antique shops have massive solid ones, which we don't want.

Off to Gloucester Docks, then to Tetbury or Cirencester to cruise the antique markets.

Everything looks too dark brown on Ebay.

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:01 am

Good morning all :wave

Gill, good luck on the table hunt. Best dining table was the rather huge old scrubbed pine job that had been my great grandma's and was passed on to Ma and Pa ... throughout my childhood it lived in the back kitchen and it was on there that Pa taught me to polish shoes and draw (gut) and dress poultry and game as a child.

When they moved from that farm to another I managed to acquire the table which I lovingly scrubbed, sanded lightly by hand and waxed the legs :lol: I did so much cooking at that table ................ but when my life changed and I was on my own in a Victorian terrace it wouldn't even go through the door so Bro offered to store it for me in his huge farmhouse ... it's now in the farm offices and is used for meetings. I miss it :( , but even in this house it'd be way too big ...

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:41 pm

Good hunting Gill.

You have seen our dining table it is rather large and heavy and was made from an ancient oak door. It takes 4 people to lift it so I don't think it will be going anywhere soon. We bought it from the lady who sold us the house along with the ancient buffet which is also in the old Provencal style.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:12 am

Suffs we saw one yesterday that was called a pig kill table.
Fantastic yours is still used too. That's a glorious history for it.

Joan, your table is great for every occasion thrown at you.
As you say, there's no moving it!

We saw some we liked, but they are a shade too small. Although there is only 2 of us, we need the room to take serving dishes too.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:58 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Suffs we saw one yesterday that was called a pig kill table. ....

According to Ma, she had her tonsils taken out whilst lying on that table :shock:

Thank heavens for the NHS :thumbsup

Postby Renée » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:28 pm

Oh NO!!! :o I hope that there was some anaesthetic available?

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:09 pm

Suffs my cousin, who is 5 years older than me had her tonsils taken out on the kitchen table - there was chloroform but she was horribly sick afterwards.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:15 pm

Yes Joan ... that sounds very similar to Ma's memory of that day! Sounds horrendous compared with modern medicine.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox