Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Renée » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Thank you for the advice, smitch. I keep away from Manchester at the weekends.

I have happy memories of Saddleworth from when my youngest son took part in the Whit Friday Brass Band contests. He played cornet with the Rochdale band and then played with Besses o' the Barn band. We used to park the car at Dobcross to watch and listen to the bands.

Postby smitch » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:06 pm

I love Whit Friday. I'm a 'commerinner' as they say, and only moved the the area 4 years ago, but I always book the day off work to go. We normally go to the band contest at Friezeland, which is a bit smaller and less 'rowdy' ;) I think it is great the tradition is still going strong.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Completely idiotic review on the Gadget Show just now. It was a review of a pizza oven like the one linked, but instead of pizza dough, they used those awful biscuity pre-baked supermarket pizza bases, and couldn't understand why the "pizzas" came out burnt. Surely there must have been someone on the production team that would have had the wit to point out what they were doing wrong?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Italian-H ... 2535897469

Postby Petronius » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Us two, plus daughter saw Paddington 2 Friday evening. We all enjoyed it! :clap If you, or anyone you know, plans to see it, mention to sit through the closing credits in order to see Hugh Grant's wonderful flourish of a finish.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:44 pm

ooooh, thanks for the tip Petronius, Mr Strictly and I want to see this at the cinema too, we both loved the first one!

Postby Renée » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Sakkarin, it's really hard to believe that anyone could be so stupid as to put a ready-baked pizza crust in the oven! The idea of the oven is that cooks it all.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:25 pm

I think they were playing it for laughs, Renee. It came across as complete stupidity.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:37 pm

All my most profound condolences to the family & dear ones of Antonio Carluccio ..

Terribly saddened.

Thank you for posting, Sakkarin.

I missed this post somehow .. But was down with a terrbile flu for two weeks ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:22 pm

I actually didn't realise you could buy an all in one pizza oven like that. If you eat pizzas often enough, I should think it's a super buy.

Dennis, I shall mention the credits thing to my chums who will definitely be going.

Surprisingly bright here today.
Washing out. Leaves swept. The rest of the day is open now.

Postby Petronius » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:52 pm

I realise I shouldn't have even mentioned Hugh Grant, just left it as; wait until the credits have finished, it'll be worth it.

Earlier we were chatting about fast/slow eaters - piece in yesterday's Times (can't link) on all the problems that can be caused with eating too fast.

As for insomnia Gill, perhaps next year hubby would like join our daughter's wild swimming group - early flight from Stansted to Copenhagen, train to Malmo, sea swim (10C), back to Copenhagen for a sea swim and an open pool night swim. Plane back - book early and it's £9.99 return. Maybe Ryanair fly that cheaply from Bristol. ;)

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I think they were playing it for laughs, Renee. It came across as complete stupidity.

Referring to the pizza oven: It probably was, complete stupidity that is, as a similar advert for the oven says:
"Cook Thin, Medium and some Thick Bases as well as Freshly Made, Frozen and Pre-baked Homemade Pizza.
I imagine it comes with timing suggestions, but a bought base is what it is, however cooked.

What would put me off is the counter footprint, i.e. 41cm/16" dia. That's a lot of space. Could be great though if quicker and safer for kids/early teens to use and the price could well halve once it's no longer a "new" invention. Its disadvantage is not being multi purpose, so if people have rushed out and bought a waffle maker, I guess they've all completed their East wing...

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 am

Dennis, that is a serious swimming agenda.
The sleep deprivation wouldn't worry Tony. But by golly that cold would. May I congratulate her on the price of her flight though.
And wish her all the best.

When Tony swims the Dart, the lowest temperature (summer) was 12.

Re counter space purchases, I thought my single hotplate would get used a lot. As I can set it to 3hrs whilst out and about.
But it's stuffed away somewhere.
I've decided to bring it out, and use it for one pot things.

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:29 am

Sakkarin wrote:I think they were playing it for laughs, Renee. It came across as complete stupidity.

a couple of years ago they did an item on barbecues and included a solar cooker - like this one - http://www.slicksolarstove.com/shop/sol ... lick-sm70/ -
but i think no-one explained that it wasn't going to do very much on the heavily overcast day on which they tested it - and wasn't a barbecue anyway.

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 pm

scullion, gotta get me one of them thar solar cookers "for use in the UK all year round" one of them says. Well hey, we put our Christmas sprouts on to boil at Easter to be sure they're properly cooked, so it seems perfectly reasonable to wait a year for a pork chop or other bbq item to cook in the UK doesn't it?

If the small solar garden lights I bought once are anything to go by, a better use for the solar cooker, might be as an ice bucket ;)

Postby scullion » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:59 am

actually, if you read back through the older posts on the blog section you'll see the christmas dinner (cooked in hackney) and indoor cooking items.
- and solar cookers can cook your dinner while you're out without using the electricity that a slow cooker uses.
if they can cook bread in this country then maybe they're not as useless as you think‽

Postby Renée » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:29 am

The idea is a very interesting one, scullion and anything that saves fuel costs is good. I do have a solar-powered key board which is great!

https://jamesdysonaward.org/projects/so ... -cooker-2/

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Every time I hear about these I wonder if they are sent to disaster areas, such as the post hurricane Irma regions, and if not, why not?

Postby jeral » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 pm

I'd agree Stokey Sue assuming sunny and aid is getting through where needed and there is food to put in them of course.

We'll probably all have a solar oven one day as energy capture and storage methods improve. Yay. Save the planet :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:54 pm

Well, Irma went through the notoriously sunny Caribbean
It's all islands so if you sent simple fishing lines packed inside, there would be something to cook
And could also be used for boiling water and sterilizing some medical instruments

Postby scullion » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:34 am

unfortunately, behavioural change is difficult when historical practice is ingrained. there is a woman in africa who does a lot of really good work in the field of educating women in the use of a much more low-tech type of solar cooker. it frees girls from miles of walking to collect fuel - which means they have time to go to school, and rape incidences are reduced. it also means that the 'three stone' fire method, which is usually carried out in the hut, is reduced - and therefore the smoke effects on both child and adult lungs is reduced.
faustine has also taught the making and use of a sort of 'hay box' insulated bag made from recycled materials, to be used in conjunction with solar cookers (and rocket stoves). this means that a hot meal can be eaten nearer the customary meal time in the evening.
attitudes change through education and when people see the benefits for themselves. faustine is doing good work.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox