Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:09 am

Time I got a new phone - it's been on my to-do list for so long now - can't get round to it!

It has taken some good shots in the past especially some moody cloud formations over Eastbourne cliffs, Birling Gap way But it really didn't want to know last night!

Don't get me started on that meal - it's a place everyone raves about - gets 'Fabulous' 'Amazing' 'Real Find' 'Favourite Seafood resto' reviews & I was very underwhelmed - I don't know if it's because I cook so much seafood at home & it's made me critical - but I honestly could do it better ( at a fraction of the price too)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:21 am

Looks like a nightime game of beach volleyball, Gill...

The watery shot is astonishing, how frozen in time it literally looks frozen.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:34 am

Yup _ that pic really looks like one of your paintings Grilly - particularly the figures! Have you worked any witchy magic on it?!?!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 pm

ha ha.
Could be a night volleyball event, yes.

It's just an idea to work on when I need to make some cards.

Lush, perhaps because you know what's involved at home, I think that encourages you to be more forgiving.
Well, I have a very low threshold when it comes to eating out.

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:
Do you mean the Minolta long thin cameras, from Argos, Pampy? I had one of those in the 80s.

To be honest, I can't remember! It was in the late 80s, so very possible.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:35 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Don't get me started on that meal - it's a place everyone raves about - gets 'Fabulous' 'Amazing' 'Real Find' 'Favourite Seafood resto' reviews & I was very underwhelmed - I don't know if it's because I cook so much seafood at home & it's made me critical - but I honestly could do it better ( at a fraction of the price too)

Me too Lush. I have had two very unimpressive meals at places which should know better this summer. I just won't tolerate it If I go out to eat at a restaurant I expect something better than I can make myself and I most certainlly expect polite and attentive service - I like friendly too!

We went to a Michelin * place in August with some friends the food was overly complicated, there was vitually no choise and everyone at the table was meant to have the same menu :roll: The service was dreadful. One of our friends is quite severely disabled and they were positively rude to her. Ignored the fact she had dropped herr napkin and was trying to find it, didn't pour her wine and cleared away everyone elses plates while she was still eating.

Another problem was trying to find somewhere to provide our D-I-L with a vegetarien option. One said they always did fish, another was "complete" and yet another was "closed"

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Joanbunting wrote:
Lusciouslush wrote:Don't get me started on that meal - it's a place everyone raves about - gets 'Fabulous' 'Amazing' 'Real Find' 'Favourite Seafood resto' reviews & I was very underwhelmed - I don't know if it's because I cook so much seafood at home & it's made me critical - but I honestly could do it better ( at a fraction of the price too)

Me too Lush. I have had two very unimpressive meals at places which should know better this summer. I just won't tolerate it If I go out to eat at a restaurant I expect something better than I can make myself and I most certainlly expect polite and attentive service - I like friendly too!

We went to a Michelin * place in August with some friends the food was overly complicated, there was vitually no choise and everyone at the table was meant to have the same menu :roll: The service was dreadful. One of our friends is quite severely disabled and they were positively rude to her. Ignored the fact she had dropped herr napkin and was trying to find it, didn't pour her wine and cleared away everyone elses plates while she was still eating.

Another problem was trying to find somewhere to provide our D-I-L with a vegetarien option. One said they always did fish, another was "complete" and yet another was "closed"

Oh my goodness Joan, what a horrible experience you all had at the Michelin * place. Mind you, anywhere that had one of those fixed tasting menus would put me off, even if I could afford to eat there. It's not so bad if you like 80-90% of the items on the menu, but a waste of time and money if there are quite a few ingredients that you just don't like or whatever (allergies etc.). One thing I have noticed a lot in certain parts of Continental Europe, is that vegetarian options can be difficult to find. Spain and Italy aren't so bad but other countries have such a meat heavy diet that vegetarianism is almost unheard of.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:45 am

Hi Strictly it wasn't even a tasting menu.It was the second cheapest menu

The menu du jour had no choice at all and everyone at the table had to have it. As the main course was octopus one of the couples we were with looked utterly horrified as did M!

The only choice on the menu we settled on was meat or fish for the main course. There were 3 starters and 3 desserts aneatd you got yhe lot. When we said we can't possibly manage we were told we could have a main and desser or a main and starter - but we all had to have the same combination.

I did just wonder what they would have said to a vegetarian :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:53 am

damn!
That's what I call inflexible. At best.
Rudeness, there's no excuse for it. I'll never go back to a restaurant if the service is bad. No matter what.

You're a bit trapped too once you are committed to restaurants like that, effectively stuck with what they decide to do to/ or for you in that circumstance.

If it's just the 2 of you, you can walk out and pay for what you've had.
We did that in fish restaurant in Sete when the waiter started making baby noises at Tony, as he asked for chips instead of dauphinois potatoes.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Gill wrote:"If it's just the 2 of you, you can walk out and pay for what you've had.
We did that in fish restaurant in Sete when the waiter started making baby noises at Tony, as he asked for chips instead of dauphinois potatoes"

This would have been a bit difficult. It's up a very precipitous road and almost totally isolted ! There were 6 of us and we hadn't booked it. The 2 visitors were completely in awe of the place, having never eaten in a Michelin * establishment in their lives:

https://translate.google.fr/translate?h ... rev=search
Just in case anyone fancies risking it!

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:34 pm

I avoid tasting menus like the plague now - there's a masterchef winner - Stephen Edwards resto just a short walk from us, but I'm so not interested however much the hype - 4 course taster or 8 - I really can't think of anything I'd like less now after being very disappointed with ones we've had in the past - some parts good, some parts meh & having no choice in what you eat regardless, yet everyone still raves about the place - I can only assume a lot of these 'foodies' are just pretentious knobs, who probably don't know the knobs on their cookers!

It seems to be a trend tho' doesn't it & that's where this attitude of certain resto's is coming from.

The seafood place we went to the other night were nice & pleasant, service was good up to a point, we'd been planning to go there for quite some time & looking forward to it - beforehand I'd ordered a whole lobster for The Lushly requesting weight etc. ( he really likes his lobster) & I was happy to wing it for myself, this place doesn't do flatfish, just shellfish, so you know the menu's going to be limited - but that's fine by me - right? - so not right - a sheet containing just over half a dozen dishes were on the menu - and I'm not kidding - I could have had a whole crab which I'd normally love at home, but I'm not going to sit there cracking away & cover myself in shell etc. - there wasn't even a choice of dressed - so when I asked where was the rest of the menu it was met with a pithy answer! The lobster was dry in the body but the claws were fine - so not cooked for the appropriate time/weight - unforgivable!

c'mon where were the razor clams, whelks, etc. etc. not on this menu!

These resto's are smelling their own perfume & unfortunately their customers are in awe - not for me - I prefer to stick to a bistro from now on, where at least the food is honest.

Gill - I would have been inches away from punching that waiter's lights out....!

Postby Luca » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Lusciouslush wrote: I can only assume a lot of these 'foodies' are just pretentious knobs, who probably don't know ,the knobs on their cookers!

It seems to be a trend tho' doesn't it & that's where this attitude of certain resto's is coming from. .

Hi Lush!

Quote of the week! :clap

Lusciouslush wrote:
Gill - I would have been inches away from punching that waiter's lights out....!

Me too! I bet Gill packs a mean punch!

Been very absent due to work commitments amongst other things but hope all are well!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:31 am

You bet - With all the training she does he was a very lucky man - it would have been the last time he smiled............ with is own teeth anyway !! :D

Luca Hi...... :wave Nice to see you around!

Sounds like you're working too hard.......!!

Postby Renée » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Everything is well with me, Luca, except that I can't get any gardening done because of the rain. There's no end to it. Luckily I have someone to cut the grass.

It's really good to see you, so drop in when you can! :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:38 am

I'm best mates with Chuck Norris:

Back from Devon, it's a bit wet and rainy down there folks.
Very proud of Tony, he swam the Dart 10K in 10 mins fewer than last year. Although he's beating himself up about not doing better.
These ambitious men, there's no pleasing them.

Joan, I shall avoid that restaurant. Considering how many miles away I am, I doubt they will notice however.

Taster menus.
No thank you. 3 hours of tedium. And here's another ickle dish you wouldn't order if your life depended on it.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:46 am

Well done Tony. I suppose the rain doesn't matter if you are in it already!

The Jersey family were taking part in a charity It's Knockout yesterday and they got very wet and cold but had a great time.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:57 am

Sounds like sporty fun, Joan.

Postby Luca » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:You bet - With all the training she does he was a very lucky man - it would have been the last time he smiled............ with is own teeth anyway !! :D

Luca Hi...... :wave Nice to see you around!

Sounds like you're working too hard.......!!

Indeed Lush! I think I need to balance my life better but have been failing for years!

Renee, weather damp and cool, garden is a mess. I need some weedbusters and a miracle! We also have a snail and slug invasion.

I will definitely try and post more often as I definitely need to get my food mojo back.

Postby Luca » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Sounds like sporty fun, Joan.

Bravo to Tony, Gill.

I must get on and do more sport. I used to play tennis regularly but haven't for a few years. When visiting family in countryside I do walk about 5 miles or so a day....... My SIL regularly does twice that.

A trial Zumba class is on the horizon and kickboxing is also on the agenda.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:12 pm

We got onto the subject of tennis when chatting in the car (vs badminton), Luca.
Tony's never played tennis.
I suppose badders you can play all year round, but you have to loosen up those wrists.

Zumba .... Renee is your expert there.

I'll pass on all your good wishes.
He's a bit flat today and doesn't know what to do with himself, so I shall sit him down with an Amazon film in a short while.
He loves chick flicks ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox