Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:39 am

Renée wrote:Oh how funny Sue and I suppose you had to provide your own loo paper!

I think there was some, but if travelling I'd have tissues anyway
This was a brand new toilet block in the Forbidden City

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:26 am

With all this talk about public toilets, I have to tell you about what will probably be our most memorable trip to one. It took place last week when we were in Greenwich. There are some public loos on King William Walk, which links the Cutty Sark to Greenwich park. They're not very wheelchair friendly because you have to go downstairs to them, but they are very steampunk in style; i.e. Victorian/Edwardian with a few mod cons for modern day hygiene reasons. The loo seat was wooden, with the pipes and high level cistern all boxed in with the same dark wood, possibly oak or mahogany. There were modern taps with an electric water heater and hand dryer. Mr Strictly and I both had big grins when we had finished, because the Gents were just as atmospheric as the Ladies!

Postby Renée » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:25 pm

:lol: :lol: And why shouldn't they be, I ask? !!

Postby Uschi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:13 am

Steampunk sounds like fun!

Motorway loos here are very variable. Some are sparkling and smell only of cleaning fluids, but the one I had the misfortune to visit on Friday was awful. They had just been with a pressure hose, but it still smelt awful (it wasn't closed off from the men's department) and I would not have dared to sit down.
At least I didn't have to clean up after myself since the thing was self cleaning and started to hose itself down as soon as I was out of the cubicle. How it could still smell like that will remain a mystery.

Postby Petronius » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:41 pm

We were on a trip across Canada, mostly flying and occasionally coach. It took most of the day by coach to get through the Rockies to Vancouver. In the middle of nowhere we stopped for a comfort break at the only place for miles around, or so it seemed. Coffee and toilets. However, there were only two toilets, both stalls, both unisex. With so many coaches using the same stop the queue was long.

When I came out of one stall, next in line was an American lady, with her friends. Seeing me she declared in a loud and shocked voice, "I'm not using that bathroom after a man's used it." :lol:

I just smiled at her, and hoped she'd be OK for the next three hours.

a squatter or a throne

Searching for stuff on diverticulitis, I came across some American research - and gawd please us all, someone has come up with a squatty potty. :roll: I'll let you google.

Postby Uschi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Big deal, just use a small footstool (I just realise, the thing is unfortunately named in English). :lol: :lol: :lol:

I much preferred the raised toilet seat my parents had to use. If it hadn't been so difficult to clean I would have kept it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:55 pm

On my first trip round the Greek islands we encountered some, erm, interesting facilities

We finally found one that was all pristine white marble, and stank the worst of the lot :?
I found out why; that pristine marble was cleaned with generous amounts of cloudy ammonia! There was a huge bottle on the window sill :lol:

Postby Uschi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Eeeek!!!! :vomit

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:04 am

Talking of paris and pissoirs we are watching the 14th July parade as I write. Masron has just tried to hand Trump an official programme and Trump looked blankly at him and it and didn't take it. .

W heard quite a lot of the aircraft flying out of Salon de Provence earlier this morning and right now there ia a fabulous fly past with amazing shots from various aircraft over the city which is looking fabulous in the sunshine.

Fireworks tonight, but we can see them from our balcony so no need to brave the crwds in the village.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:00 pm

I will never forgot walking into the loo in a village in Turkey way before it became as commercial as now, & I still remember the scream that came out of my mouth.....!!

All I'm saying is a big swirling pit of water with lots of big swirling t***s !

I luuurve the word pissoir...............

Postby Petronius » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Meanwhile in other news :D

Last year HSBC made a profit of £5.7bn. One of its customers is our local newsagents, in the town since forever, now run by a mother and daughter. As well as everything else they offer a local postal service. For 30p they'll deliver a letter in our town. A week ago, without warning, HSBC withdrew their overdraft facility. It closed Wednesday (without warning), I must've been one of the last to buy a paper on that day. Lovely staff as well, have lost their jobs. So sad.

Postby Uschi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:56 pm

Sad indeed. I live in a town, yet there are no shopping facilites within walking distance of my abode. I'd have to walk 20 minutes to get a newspaper. Half an hour's walk into another direction would get me into the town centre ... no problem, really, but the walk back up the hill.

Back to your post, Petronius: it is a crying shame and I bet it's not really that economical in the long run. Instead of looking at new ways to make existing facilities more attractive they just close them. :crying2

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Dennis that is a disgrace. I hope all the customers of the shop who are HSBC customers switch their accounts immediately, giving reasons.

Banks world wide seem to be the same. Our Danish friends tell us they are now charged every time they consult their account on line and our bank in France has just held on to a fairly large transfer we get every year which did not appear in our account until 3 days after it should have done. Not that we needed it or lost any interest but still.............

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:45 am

Just back from jolly hols, and some of the french aire stops leave a lot to be desired. But when you've got to go I am not complaining ........

We wondered why a popular bar on the main drag in our Spanish resort seems to be plummeting.
Someone has had the not so bright idea of putting in a button at the bar to unlock the loos for customers only. Buzzzzzzz like a fog horn when you need to go.
They were turning away adults and children desperate for a pee who were asking nicely during the fireworks display.

Vote with your feet.

Re banks, that's a crying shame, Dennis.
Never been an HSBC nor a NatWest fan.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:54 am

Glad to see you back Gill. Hope the hols were good.

Tip for loo visits in French Aires - those or the small stopping places not the big "manned" ones. As long as there is no=one else with priority use the disabled ones. Always cleaner and always sitting down ones.

Didn't manage to log off yesterday power cut and I got stung by a scorpion which was painful.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:53 pm

Good God.
A scorpion stings sounds vile. Isn't it serious, Joan.

(note to self to check inside shoes before putting them on).

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Fortunately "our" scorpions aren't too dangerous unless you happen to be allergic to them and have a bad reaction. Bit like a bad wasp sting. I took an antihistamine but i have to admit it has made me headachey and a bit wobbly although that could just as easily have been the tablet :lol:

The blinking thing was inside my PJs which were neatly folded on my pillow so where it had come from heaven knows.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:42 pm

Aaaaaargh - stop it. I'll not sleep tonight.

In our last stop at Caen on Thurs, there was a spider on the window. Not one that has my running for the hills - but an ugly one never the less.
Instructions to Tony to put it out of the window, please.

He duly launches at it with a tissue, and I see it drop into my half packed suitcase.

Postby QinNortham » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Gill, ugh.

Have some sad news to report. Some of you may remember Denada in Australia, she has died. I have no details of what happened although she was in hospital with her husband at her side.

Such a lovely poster who always injected a sense of humour and made light of their endless moves round the world but I think they had been back in Australia for a couple of years.

Q
X

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Such sad sad news, Q.
Thanks for letting us know. RIP Denada.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox