Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:55 am

Morning everyone.

I think Mannu, our tame chef(!) thinks like you Sue. Though I know he winces when plates have hardly hit the table before the sprinkling starts!
I'm one who used white pepper on things like poached eggs, and plae dishes where I find specks of black pepper look as if someone has sneezed over them. For the same reason I hate the cheffy habiy of throwing ground spices around the plate.

Jeral They have done very well since opening but are closing this week until mid March because, as you say they don't have as much custom in the winter months. They have worked so hard they need the time to recover and re-group. They are off to martinique in February :mrgreen:

Our Danish friend is well enough in herself but her surgery last week was potponed and, as ever she finds accepting help re translation difficult and is still refusing our offer to fo with her. I think he husband it in a far worse state. Thanks for asking.

Postby Renée » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:34 pm

My thoughts are with your friend, Joan and her husband and do hope that all goes well.

I can remember way back when chef Simon Hopkinson worked at Le Normandie in Birtle, near to Bury under the supervision of Yves Champeau at the start of his career. I can remember him saying that if anyone asked for salt, a bag of it was dumped on the table! It must have been offensive for anyone to question Yves Champeau's judgment where seasoning was concerned.

Postby scullion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:36 pm

i would question yves shampoo's ability to empathise with his customers - and his arrogance.
my partner doesn't like much salt whereas i like quite a bit compared to some. i, therefore, lightly salt during cooking and add a little pile to the side of my plate. often, when we eat out, my partner finds food rather salty - i often take little packets of salt with me and leave the empties on the table if salt hasn't been supplied.
taste is subjective - how can someone else dictate how you perceive something?

Postby Renée » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:44 pm

I take medication for hypertension, which is why my salt intake is low.

Postby Rainbow » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:17 am

Joanbunting wrote:We lunched at our chef friend's restaurant today. As always his food was perfectly seasoned. He does have salt. pepper and olive oil on the table. A party of 4 arrived and when their fist course was served, and without tasting it, they simply picked up all three and applied them liberally. Why anyone would want to add olive oil to truffled scrambled eggs I can't imagine. Thet were so busy talking to each other they simply didn't seem to notice what had been placed in front of them.

Well at least they were talking and not glued to their phones!!

Postby scullion » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:26 am

Renée wrote:I take medication for hypertension, which is why my salt intake is low.

my partner and i both have hypotension so salt isn't a problem - i do use 'lo-salt' on occasions, though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:50 pm

I use white pepper but from a grinder not the pre-ground stuff which I really can't stand - shades of the less pleasant side of school dinners for me

I am always slightly amused by instructions to add "ground white pepper" - would anyone throw in whole peppercorns?

I have an upside down pepper grinder in the kitchen Petronius, but I find that although it makes no mess on the counter :thumbsup the contant flipping over means that all the part ground peppercorns are mixed up and as mine is transparent acrylic itthe thing itself looks quite messy, being a mixture of bits, I'd probably not have another clear one. Having said which mine is a Kuhn Rikon and it works brilliantly - easiest adjuster for coarseness ever seen

Postby Suffs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Just thought I'd pop in and say Merry Christmas and wish a peaceful and healthy 2018 to everyone :chrissytree1

Postby Pampy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:43 pm

And to you, Suffs - and everyone else. Have a wonderful Christmas and very best wishes for 2018 - may all your dreams come true!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the Strictly household too.

Postby Renée » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:32 pm

Merry Christmas from me too!

:chrissytree1 :chrissytree1

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:23 am

Hi Suffs
Merry Christmas to you both. Eat drink and be merry.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Happy Christmas to you all, here's my homemade secular seasons greetings card that went out this year!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:49 pm

ha ha ha. That's great.

My printed one this year was from La Coupole in Paris.
They wheeled a plastic cake with indoor firework round and sang Bon Anniversaire - twas our wedding anniversary.
Excellent timing from the waiter ................

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Ha! You've "seen the light"!

Speaking of bellylaughs, much as James Martin makes me reach for the on-off switch, I caught a few minutes of him this morning, and it made me laugh out loud. Although claiming to be hungover, he was still clearly three parts cut from last night's celebrations, as he vigorously grated half a pound of butter into his cheese waffle mix in mistake for cheese. It was the best I've ever seen from him, clearly a snifter or two takes the edge off his usually uncomfortably stilted presentation, and I might even hunt down a second hand waffle maker!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Missed that, I was watching Andi and Rick on the Beeb

Shopping now complete, I have a rather large duck if anyone feels like some!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Damn, missed it.
Thank Gawd for iplayer I'll watch tomorrow.
Is it as funny as watching him break dance at the closing credits on his back, and bending his little finger the wrong way.

Then bursting into tears when he thought the cameras were no longer rolling :crying1

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Sue ................ on my way over ................ I'll bring some "a l'orange".

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Lurve the Chrimble sakarooree............ :tiptoesanta

And Grilly - we always knew you light up a room...........!! Magic1

:balls

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:14 am

Ha!
Well it pays not to go away for your anniversary just before Christmas.
I seem to have had loads of time this year and am very organized.
The tree has been up for over a week, not the last minute purchase and rush I normally have.

Food shopping done before everyone else on Friday. £6 voucher used.

I believe I have only underestimated how much cream I need, and must pop locally to get a carton today.
Plus white sliced loaf, which I leave till today for melba toast.

Must .... remember ..... to ..... make ...... icecubes.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox