Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Since I got my new laptop I haven't been able to "do" accents which is annoying . So I'm beginning to think along your lines Lush. I hope your back is behaving itself too.

Re power surges, over the past few weeks at more or less the same time each morning something happens to make any LED light which is switched on srobe like mad. I'm very thankful we have no epeleptics in the house. EDF deny it is anything to do with the voltage or alterations in such but our neighbours suffer too so It can't be that we all have dodgy light bulbs. Next step the mairie I suspect.

Postby Rainbow » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:00 am

Petronius wrote:Èēêèéëėéęàãåîïįœôøû and so on. Oh what fun :limbobanana :limbobanana though finger aches from hard pressing!

I know how you feel Sue. I've a decent iMac, which ten years ago was an absolute essential - now it's just a typewriter.

I still like my iMac for it's large screen and especially for photo editing.

Dennis, do you know that on the top line of symbols on the Mac screen (along from the Apple sign in the far Left corner) there is a Keyboard preferences symbol (just before the date on my screen)
Press that and you get a choice of emojis or the Keyboard Viewer. Press Keyboard Viewer and a small keyboard comes up on the screen. Then when you press Option on your real keyboard it shows you all the options you can type by pressing Option+that key! Or command, or shift - but Option is the best!!

Hopes that makes some sense, and if you already know about all that then sorry for boring you!!

I love my iPad as well, especially when travelling, but I do like to have the iMac at home. More than 'just a typewriter' to me :D

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:34 am

Rainbow wrote:...on the Mac screen there is a Keyboard preferences symbol - Press that and you get a choice of emojis or the Keyboard Viewer...

Oh dear, there's a sign of the times. I've got an older iMac and it's only got the keyboard/character viewer... I don't think emojis existed when I bought it!

November 2009 that was, and it is still pretty robust, although I am eyeing what's out there for a replacement in anticipation.

Postby Luca » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Sakkarin wrote:
This is the site, it's a shame there isn't a book of his pics, I would buy it:

http://www.boredpanda.com/todays-proble ... n-holcroft

Super!

Postby Rainbow » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:04 am

Sakkarin wrote:
Rainbow wrote:...on the Mac screen there is a Keyboard preferences symbol - Press that and you get a choice of emojis or the Keyboard Viewer...

Oh dear, there's a sign of the times. I've got an older iMac and it's only got the keyboard/character viewer... I don't think emojis existed when I bought it!

November 2009 that was, and it is still pretty robust, although I am eyeing what's out there for a replacement in anticipation.

I thought it had more to do with the software you have, rather than the hardware? Emojis have been around for a long time, I thought.
Which OS system are you running on? I'm on Sierra v 10.12.5 but that may not be the latest. - not sure!

The latest Mac looks rather good, but I replaced mine last year so won't be doing that again for a while!

Postby Petronius » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Rainbow, I sort of knew about the keyboard symbol but not in the detail you've posted, so thank you. However, my bit of paper has served me well so need to do more clicking. What I haven't been able to do is to move a emoji from there onto here, but as my google mail has them built in as does this site I'd have thought Sakks you didn't need it the menu.

Probably I was being a bit unfair on my mac as the large screen does make a difference for photos and certainly it's easier to crop if I want something to paint.
When we had the business I used a superb (and expensive) data base – FileMaker Pro – when we retired I couldn't justify the expense of updating. My hard drive is partitioned to include Snow Leopard 'cos there's where all my labels are for our Christmas list using FMP.

Your software is the same as mine, updated a few weeks back.

Postby Rainbow » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:21 am

Hi Dennis. Good to hear you do still use your Mac for photos - do you have an editing programme? I use Photoshop Elements but haven't updated it recently.

Also good to hear I do have the updated OS - I wasn't sure as they seem to change it rather frequently!!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:14 pm

Just watched a couple of random episodes of Great BM, in which a contestant was making Lemon Barley Water, which sounded interesting so I did a bit of Googling, and in the end made this version, which was rather nice! The programme had reminded me of a bag of barley I had in the cupboard, but which I had not yet figured out anything to do with.

Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins:
Thinly peeled zest from 1 lemon
65g barley
850ml water

Strain, cool and add:
4 tbs honey
Juice of 1 lemon

Chill and serve

Postby Renée » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:49 pm

That sounds a nice recipe and it reminded me that the Queen used to have orange barley water every day. I had a look online and found this:

https://hedgecombers.com/the-royal-barley-water-recipe/

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:07 pm

I'm afraid I have never liked barley water. I don't like barley either - throw back (up in my case) from being ill as a child!

In this weather I do make a lot of fresh lemonade and lime too.

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:51 pm

My mum used to boil pearl barley in a lot of water, to drink the water (with lemon) saying it was good for clearing one's kidneys. I sometimes buy the Robinson's barley cordial.

I've seen the pearls being added to stews etc to add healthy bulk and for its thickening starch exuded.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Joanbunting wrote:throw back (up in my case) from being ill as a child!

Same reason but opposite effect: I like both orange barley water and Scotch Broth (canned) because they qwere both comforting things I got when I had the kiddy version of manflu...

Next time I shop there will be oranges and lemons on the list!

Postby Renée » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:15 pm

I did buy some barley, but added a bit too much, to a lamb stew and decided that I didn't like it. Yes, in a canned soup, it's nice.

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:19 am

I always buy frozen berries for smoothies, but I've just looked on Sainsbury's website and they now have Smoothie mixes. Good Carrot kick smoothie mix, Green Smoothie Mix and then there are frozen pellets, such as Wheatgrass Smoothie Pellets, Coconut Milk Pellets, Acai Berry Smoothie Pellets.

I certainly won't be buying any of those, but there must be a demand for them! A friend buys frozen pomegranate seeds from Tesco to add to her morning yoghurt and they taste just as good as fresh.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:22 am

cripes, it's so easy to make a smoothie, I can't imagine needing to buy a mix really.

Only a handful green bananas left on the shelves at Morrisons yesterday. (we walked there to drop off an amazon thing, at their amazon locker facility).
My theory was that people were using them for smoothies.
It's in so many of the "recipes".

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:26 am

Made Orange Barley Water from Renee's recipe link yesterday. Had an iced glassful for breakfast this morning, gorgeous.

The only thing is it seems incredibly wasteful throwing away all that barley. It's like cooking rice with too much water, saving the water and throwing away the rice.

The last of my cherries was used to make a smoothie yesterday (yep, with arthur banana), but unfortunately the 1 kilo packs have all gone from Tesco now, so I couldn't get a replacement. The normal cherries are still too expensive - I bought a "sell by exceeded" pack of strawberries instead for 39p.

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Sakkarin wrote:...[clip]...
The only thing is it seems incredibly wasteful throwing away all that barley. It's like cooking rice with too much water, saving the water and throwing away the rice....[clip]...

If you look at the very spicy recipe, third one down:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... to-10-best
maybe you could blitz the barley and mix with those flavourings (and maybe some fresh toasted ones) to make burgers, egg 'n' crumbed, or to fill mini pasties to dip.

Postby Petronius » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Sorry Rainbow, didn't mean to ignore you but you posted on the day my eldest daughter and I were travelling to Paris for a long Fathers' Day weekend. And yes, we had a wonderful time – Musée d'Orsay, Pompidou, Dali Museum and some great food which I'll post at some time.

I don't have a photo editing program, I find Photos, despite its irritations is enough for me now. When working I had a copy of Photoshop from the University but never got the hang of it really. We did some nice pages of the grandchildren but that was about it.
The constant updates drive me, and a lot others, to despair.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Never tried making barley water but use barley regularly in stews, particularly ones made from lamb, mutton or mince. This is something I got from my nan I suppose.

There's quite a nice recipe in Jocasta Innes' 'The Pauper's Cookbook' which involves soaking the barley and baking it with mushrooms, egg and cheese, to end up with a sort of mushroom pilaff. That makes a pleasant change from rice, and could possibly be a way to use up dewatered barley...

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Gill and others, did you know that Amazon has bought Whole Foods Market?

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/19/how-amazons-whole-foods-takeover-may-lower-your-grocery-bill.html

The most amazing thing about that article is that apparently US households spend only 7% of their budget on groceries :o

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox