Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:29 am

What a pita with the surge thing Q........! Just think if it had happened last year when you'd just moved in - you'd have run back to Kew screaming!

Had to look those roses up - thought it said 'Duchess of Balfour' before I blinked, or maybe it was by association..... :D lovely colour & form & apparently Cowdray Park has beds of them! - I think 3 of the same colour together is perfect for a punchy display - funny how certain plants make you feel more at home - I used to have to plant a 'New Dawn' climbing rose everytime we moved. I have been banned from buying any more plants for the garden this year ( that He knows about anyway! ;) ) - there just isn't anymore space - so pots it is !

'Tis the season of the Gemini - it was The Lushly's birthday yesterday! We'd booked a regular resto, but my back muscle has been in spasm for over a week now & any sudden movement has me shouting like I've got tourettes - so we ended up cancelling - maybe this w/end if it clears up.

Big shout of Happy Birthday to Mr Q - have a good one :thumbsup

Postby QinNortham » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:56 am

Thank you all for the Birthday wishes for Mr Q, much appreciated.

Renee, Yates & Greer are based in Leigh, Lancashire and only sell through their own shops. I've tried to get them to courier deliver but they won't although when I told them how much I spent last time I was in one of their shops the lovely lady said next time I could come to the factory and they would give me a huge discount. They are basically pork butchers but do sell what I call "proper" crumbly Lancashire cheese, non of this Mrs Kirkham's which I do not like. Actually last time I was in a Y&G shop I caused chaos. Had 3 of The Dear Ladies serving me causing a bit of a queue. Came to the bill and there was a sharp intake of breath all round - "Doris/Elsie/Fanny - have prices gone up, I only want 2 slices of ham?". Thought it only polite to say I was stocking up to take back to London, relief all round. My friend J who brought the pies down with her and I used to have to walk past Y&G's abattoir on our way to the hockey pitch which was about a mile away, not pleasant.

Walkers pork pies are wonderful.

Petronius, Dave the Gardener will sort everything. The plants look wonderful with lots of buds but then I rate Harkness Roses and would have been mighty upset to find anything wrong with them.

Lush, Happy Birthday to Major Tom for yesterday but many commiserations about your back. As we both know you are very naughty every which way but who is going to water those pots you are filling up that Major Tom isn't supposed to know about?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:30 pm

Happy Birthday to all my fellow Geminis!

Mine is not until next week, going to Trinity, Adam Byatt's restaurant in Clapham, looking forward to it

Take care with the back Lush

Postby Petronius » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:37 pm

Lots of sympathies lusciouslush, OH had the same a few weeks back, the yell was all the more chilling because so unusual. Fortunately all the kids were home for my birthday weekend which helped enormously.

Our surgery has just taken on a Musculoskeletal Practitioner and he helped a lot. No doubt you know that little can be done whilst the back has spasms, but he gave her some exercises that have helped.

I wish you well.

Postby Renée » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Lush, I had a New Dawn rambler growing along a 5' high wall at my previous home. It is a lovely pale pink colour, but quite vicious and stopped children from standing on the metal telephone box and climbing over. Thank goodness I moved away from that area to a peaceful one. So sorry to hear about your back. It's quite agonising when it goes into a spasm.

Q, I looked up Yates & Greer and although I read quite a bit about them, they don't have a website. Although I never drive that way, it's not too far and close to Wigan where Pie Butties are quite popular, I believe!! :shock:

I went back to the gym this morning, as I'm feeling much better now and then on to Chorley to buy a couple of items from Holland & Barrett, which turned out to be eight by the time that I had finished. After lunch, I went to my favourite nursery to buy yet more plants, including a small rocket plant, which I might put in a pot.

Postby Renée » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm just wondering if I can change my user name and leave off the acute accent over the é? I want to put the board on to my tablet, but there is no Alt Gr key, which I use for the accent. I have looked on Control panel, but no luck.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Renée, can you get é by typing Ctrl + Alt + e?

That's how I do it.

Postby Renée » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:26 pm

I only have the Samsung Galaxy keyboard, BM and not a separate keyboard. There isn't an "Alt" on it. Thanks for your help.

Postby Linnet » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:48 am

I too use a Galaxy tablet a lot of the time for convenience, and do accents when typing by holding the relevant letter; it then shows a wee extra 'keyboard' with all the alternative accents for that letter, and you just choose the one you want.
ė ę ě ĕ ə è é ê ë ē are the choices!

Same for other letters which use accents.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:48 am

Just looking at a website with some fab social comment illustrations by a guy called John Holcroft, here's a couple of foodie orientated ones.

This about covers my view of 99% of the sugary things which pretend to be breakfast cereals, let alone the pure fantasy breakfast drinks and biscuits. The should all be on the "confectionery" aisle.

...and sadly this is a stunningly accurate depiction of an ex work colleague...

This is the site, it's a shame there isn't a book of his pics, I would buy it:

http://www.boredpanda.com/todays-proble ... n-holcroft

Postby Renée » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:51 am

Oh bless you, Linnet! I do have a Samsung Galaxy book for Dummies, but there is so much that I haven't read. :oops:

It is fine at last here and we're in for a dry spell over the next week or two.

Postby Renée » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:54 am

We crossed, Sakkarin.

I could never get my granddaughter to eat the healthier cereals. She did like the cheese-filled pancakes that I once made and always requested them after that, with tomato ketchup, of course!

Postby Petronius » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:12 pm

é and on my iPad!! Thanks Linnet. :clap

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Those are great pics Sakkarin, I think I've seen #2 before, love it :D

Confused about the e now, if I hold down the e on my Kindle Fire it shows me all the variants in a little pop up but I can't find ant way ofentering them into the text

Postby Renée » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:53 pm

I understand what you're saying, Sue. I kept my finger pressed and moved it up to the first one with the acute accent.

Postby Linnet » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Have been without internet and tv all day - thanks Virgin!

Tried to post earlier but lost it. Glad to be of help, I found out by accident, don't have a handbook.

Sue, if you hold the letter you want, and 'slide' it to position, I think that should work.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Renée wrote:I understand what you're saying, Sue. I kept my finger pressed and moved it up to the first one with the acute accent.

Linnet wrote:Sue, if you hold the letter you want, and 'slide' it to position, I think that should work.

No, not on this keyboard, which is pretty useless
I've Googled and it seems that the accents are only available if you change the language setting

I so wish I'd spent the extra money, and got an iPad not a Kindle Fire, but it was a lot extra, and at the time I was working full time and really only needed and ebook reader that did a little more :(

Postby Petronius » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:49 am

Èēêèéëėéęàãåîïįœôøû and so on. Oh what fun :limbobanana :limbobanana though finger aches from hard pressing!

I know how you feel Sue. I've a decent iMac, which ten years ago was an absolute essential - now it's just a typewriter.

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:03 am

:lol: I am most impressed, Dennis! As for me, I did think that the keyboard had changed and it seems that I have "somehow" changed it to a French keyboard. More work to do today! :roll:

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks your kind thoughts re 'the spasm' - very much appreciated.
Today is the first day it has seemed any easier, so everything crossed - I have been such a grumpylush - downright nasty in fact :oops: I'm sure I didn't use any of the language before..........

"Èēêèéëėéęàãåîïįœôøû " - that is very much what I was shouting last week!!
Very glad to hear Mrs Petronius has got rid of it - as you say, nothing can be done, just have to wait for it to go.

We expect a full report on Trinity Sue..... :thumbsup

I can't be doing with the accents - I have ended up getting in such a twist - I just assume folk know what I mean now.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox