Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Google have finally cracked the Meaning of Life

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Mr Strictly and I went to see Paddington 2 at the cinema this afternoon and we absolutely loved it. It was a proper emotional rollercoaster of a film. One minute we were laughing out loud, then almost in tears, then laughter again etc. The finale during the credits was fab-u-lous dahhling and I had a little weep at the end. We also loved the nod to the original TV series that happened at the beginning. Once the film had finished we were ravenous. Unfortunately all the restaurants in the leisure park where the cinema is were extremely busy and we ere too hungry to wait for long. We therefore ended up walking towards the town centre, and found a lovely Spanish tapas bar and restaurant, where we had a wonderful tapas meal. I think we ended up with the best end of the deal! :yum

Postby Renée » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:20 am

Good one, Sakkarin! :lol:

Strictly, what a lovely afternoon you had! D'you know, I would never think of going to seeing a film like that, just because of the title, but everyone who goes to see it loves it! I'm glad that you enjoyed the tapas meal, which nicely rounded off the afternoon.

I had a day in today, making Nigel Slater's bread which contains rye flour, spelt flour, white flour, walnuts, honey and parmesan. The flavours were nicely balanced. I also made smoked mackerel paté.

Postby Petronius » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:05 am

Renée, just had a look at that recipe. I've bought some spelt flour to have a go at a spelt sourdough - just for fun - so need to use up what's left. Thanks.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:21 am

Morning Renee

Luckily for Mr Strictly and I, our inner child is just under the surface and we have to let it out now and again :lol:

I am currently eating a marmalade sandwich for breakfast, it would have been rude not to! We bought some so I could use it for some festive baking. I'm also going to make Nigella's Marmalade Pudding Cake for a colleague's leaving 'do', she is the one who has been training us newbies up and has been a much valued member of the team. She mentioned that she likes marmalade on Tiger bread toast the other day so I could be onto a winner. I just hope everyone else will like it. The Marmalade Pudding Cake is one of Nigella's finest recipes in my humble opinion, it's easy to make and tastes wonderful if you don't have a particularly sweet tooth.

Your tea last night sounded wonderful, I must make some smoked mackerel pate sometime soon, because it is our kind of thing. I do have a few recipes for it. Hmmm, this is beginning to sound like something I can make over the Christmas period.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:25 pm

I made spelt loaves for a year for a friend with coeliac disease, but personally found it bland (he ahd no option, it was better than the shop-bought offerings).

FRESH TURMERIC!
On sale in Tesco, so had to grab some, can't say that I've ver seen it on sale there before, doubt it will last a month. In the meantime I'm digging out my Nyonya and Burmese books, which use loads of it.

Coincidentally I was leafing through a Balinese book, and realised I had no idea where Bali was. Finding it on the map, I wondered why it was picked put for special treatment, as it is a weeny Indonesian island amongst loads of huge ones, and the cuisine borrows heavily from the surrounding countries.

TIGER BREAD
I did some testing on "double cooking" bread the other day, and in the process it struck me that it would be quite straightforward to make Tiger Bread rolls by "almost" baking ordinary rolls and coating them and putting them back in the oven to crisp up. ANyone seen a Tiger coating before I Google?

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks for the turmeric heads up Sakks - I bought a pkt from Tesco about 2 months ago - new, as I'd never seen it there before - but too expensive for about 5 slim tubers - but I was desperate - I use it quite a lot - it perks up many things apart from curry etc. always add toward the end of cooking
tho' - & it freezes very well too no need to peel, just like ginger - so good time to stock up!

We used to buy a lot of tiger bread which does look, well, like a tiger!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Oooops - cancel last sentence - just read you're looking for a coating......silly me!!

Sounds like a plan.....!

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Have googled and found this :
The bread is generally made with sesame oil, which gives it a distinct aroma, and with a pattern baked into the top made by painting rice paste onto the surface prior to baking. The paste dries and cracks during the baking process. The rice paste crust also gives the bread a distinctive flavour.

Postby Petronius » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:58 pm

Finally I got around to making spelt sourdough - using Andrew Whitley's recipe.

Thought I'd better cut off a slice just to show you all. ;) It's buttered and with damson jam. Having lived this long I've decided that anything that's bad for me such as butter and lots of sugar, then 'slathering' is the way to do it.

spelt sourdough 2.jpg
spelt sourdough 2.jpg (226.8 KiB) Viewed 3752 times

Postby Petronius » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:12 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:
Luckily for Mr Strictly and I, our inner child is just under the surface and we have to let it out now and again :lol:

– my definition of maturity is someone who can act like a child without embarrassment. Good to see others maintaining standards. :thumbsup

That marmalade pudding sounds just right.

Sakks, AW's spelt recipe including raisin mush – pour 50g of boiling water onto 50g of raisins, leave for an hour – whizz up and then add to the mix. Certainly the taste wasn't bland, a bit nutty and pleasantly chewy. Far better than the rice loaf I made for a friend, who, by the way, can't even take the low level of gluten in spelt.

Checking on-line for tiger bread, some recipes just say vegetable oil, the paste made with ground almonds – the whole mix for the topping includes yeast as well. Does it need to rise as well?

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Coincidentally I was leafing through a Balinese book, and realised I had no idea where Bali was. Finding it on the map, I wondered why it was picked put for special treatment, as it is a weeny Indonesian island amongst loads of huge ones, and the cuisine borrows heavily from the surrounding countries.

ask many people down here and they'll know where it is - it's one of the favourite surfing stopovers for the winter migrants heading to oz (for the surf) (or as a destination for itself). on the return journey it's often been used to pick up cheap, local merchandise to sell back here to fund next winter's trip.

Postby Rainbow » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:26 am

Sakkarin wrote:Coincidentally I was leafing through a Balinese book, and realised I had no idea where Bali was. Finding it on the map, I wondered why it was picked put for special treatment, as it is a weeny Indonesian island amongst loads of huge ones, and the cuisine borrows heavily from the surrounding countries.

Isn't Bali well known everywhere?? :lol: :lol:
One of the Aussies favourite holiday spots because it's nearby (relatively speaking, only 5 hours on a plane for us!) and very cheap. Also the religion is a Balinese Hinduism - has some Buddhist influence - unlike the rest of Indonesia. The Balinese people are very friendly and peaceful and they still manage to practise their traditional ceremonies and have very close-knit families, despite now being a major tourist place with lots of people working in towns, in the hotels, bars etc.

Actually at the moment one of their volcanoes is erupting and flights are disrupted - thousands of Aussies will be stuck on Bali or unable to get over there, for at least a few days :o

A local group even wrote a song about it, back in 1984!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9toD_R6t1pI

Postby Renée » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:57 am

That's a lovely looking loaf, Dennis! Damson jam will be perfect with it.

I asked in Asda about the Tiger loaves and was told that it's a sesame paste which is painted over the loves. He showed me the tub of paste that they used.

I accidentally left a slice of my bread in the toaster this morning, so I'm having it tonight with just butter on it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:32 am

NZ friends were also fans of Bali, one went from London for a big birth day and she and partner went to her favourite restaurant for the birthday meal. She'd just sat down when her parents walked, having flown up from Auckl by arrangement with boyfriend.

I hope Bali remains OK, there's a volcano warning, imminent severe eruption expected

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:30 am

I made a tiger loaf some time ago. Using Dan Lepard's recipe, and a spanish site for the topping: https://madridtienemiga.wordpress.com/2 ... -amarillo/

Topping: 150ml water 100g semolina flour 1 tsp yeast 1 tbsp oil

mix ingredients and leave for 2 hours, you'll have a fermenting paste, which you spread on your risen loaf 30mins before baking.

Petronius, super looking loaf.
I cannot remember if spelt really is OK for serious gluten free allergics. Is there some trace of gluten?
Asking as I want to make some bread, and feel that spelt cannot be relied upon completely.

Honeymooned in Bali.
It took 36hrs to fly there.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:35 am

Looks more of a pussycat than a tiger! Or a lepard maybe?

I ended up treating some frozen rolls with a briefly fermented mix. Waste of time.

Postby Petronius » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:45 am

Gill, I wouldn't risk spelt unless the person specifically told me it was OK. My ceolliac friend's wife could have spelt as long as it was a sourdough, but he couldn't in any form.

I tried rice flour for him, tasted almost like a crumpet to me - he said it was fine.

Postby Petronius » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:11 pm

The paste for tiger bread – one recipe says seasame oil is essential, a couple of others use any. Ground rice is also suggested.

Try using rice flour for a gluten free loaf and topping as well.

Freezer draw full of bread, because of the spelt loaf, – had a slice (almost a malt smell) with marmite – slathered of course – good. I'll have a go sometime at tiger bread.

Postby Rainbow » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:
Honeymooned in Bali.
It took 36hrs to fly there.

That's a long way to go for a honeymoon - which year was that?
I was there in 1974 on my travels out to Oz. I remember my first flight back to UK in '76 took about that long!! Not quite so bad now, but still too long.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox