Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Mum's bottle of sherry used to last nearly as long as the Worcestershire sauce! Essential for Xmasmincemeat

Badger's Mate, I'd no idea there was a proper Chinese supermarket in Tottingham :D but it's on Bryantwood Road where I don't routinely venture, according to their website it's now a regular Loon Fung supermarket like Chinatown and Alperton

Dead easy via White Hart Lane on the train, and can easily be combined with a trip to Aldi

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:04 am

Loon Fung Hong has been there donkey's years now. They've always sold to the public as well as trade. There used to be two pallets on the left hand side as you went in the door. One had 'Preserved duck eggs - £2/box'. The other one 'Lead-free preserved duck eggs - £3/box' :shock:

My recollection of the price might be awry but the basics are correct.

It was a real treasure when they set up. I used to work not far away and 4 generations of our family lived next door to the gasworks, so it was almost the local corner shop. :D

I haven't been down there for a while, save to go to White Hart Lane. I didn't appreciate there was an Aldi. There used to be a Sainsbury's opposite the top of Brantwood road.

Postby Petronius » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:34 am

White Hart Lane - what memories! In the 50's, at the Wood Green end of the Lane, Wonderloaf had their factory. Next door was our school's playing field - legitimately I can claim to have played football for six years at White Hart Lane, but not at the Spurs ground. My Dad growing up lived in Argyll Street, next to the ground.

Beetroot. Bought two from our greengrocer on Wednesday, boiled them to have one with our evening meal. One in the fridge, still no sign of mould. Must be down to what ever my friend bought in France.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:09 am

The Tottenham diaspora is indeed significant. There are lots of us about. I was Christened at St John's Church in Dysons road, the other end from where it joins Brantwood road.

I was wondering when the Tottenham branch of Loon Fung opened. Couldn't decide whether late eighties or early nineties - the website confirms 1990. Their directions are a little odd in that the (joint) nearest railway station (Northumberland Park - I appreciate that's on a different line from Stoke Newington) isn't mentioned and I don't think either suggested bus goes past Brantwood road!

It used to be a real eye-opener. Perhaps these days when most supermarkets sell more Chinese goods, and the likes of frozen raw king prawns & fresh pak choi, it won't seem so magical. It used to be a place in which to wonder what half the stuff was and try something unrecognisable. Somewhere to buy big bottles of sauces and other fermented soy products, dried prawns & odd-looking fungi (what could possibly go wrong?), frozen oysters, black beans, bean curd - fresh, ready fried or fermented in a range of ways - I really ought to go back for old times' sake.

I'll give the 'delicious cuttlefish heads with sugar' a miss though...

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:32 am

I wondered why I woke up thi morning singing Euan Maccoll's 'Dirty Old Town'; it's due to the gasworks :D

The Sainsbury is still there, Aldi is further down the High Road about two thirds of the way towards Bruce Grove

I noticed the crazy directions, City Mapper says W3 bus from White Hart Lane or walk, or 149 bus from Stoke Newington Station to Brantwood Road, or 476 to Northumberland Park (the bus routes were slightly changed after Tottenham Hale / Monument Way was rebuilt, no longer use the Swan, but nice new bus station at Tottenham Hale Station) Much more rational, you wait thirty years for a direct bus to Tottenham Hale.....)

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:06 pm

It's not far to walk from WHL station, but the 149 would be convenient.

If going to the football I travel from Ware to Northumberland Park and don't go to the high road.

This season the Spurs home games are at Wembley, which is a PITA to get back from, especially after an evening match.

Postby Petronius » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:18 pm

Back in the day, when us kids went to Spurs on a steam train (and later to work), after the match we walked to Bruce Grove so we had seats before arriving at White Hart Lane.

Our dentist had his surgery just before the railway bridge over the Lane. Back then Mr Haggerty was allowed to give anaesthetic, knocked us right out. Lovely. Two weeks before my wedding (the first one!) I needed two front teeth extracted because of an infection.

Postby Renée » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Oh what a dreadful thing to happen just before your wedding and Mrs Petronius the 1st still married you!!!
Last edited by Renée on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 pm

Postby Renée » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:01 am

An avocado! That's amazing, who has done that? I suppose the flesh was removed and piped back in, most likely with the addition of lemon juice.

Postby Petronius » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Renée wrote:Oh what a dreadful thing to happen just before your wedding and Mrs Petronius the 1st still married you!!!

:lol:

Changed her mind a few years later though! And then there was/still is, number 2. Even a bigger surprise. :D

Walk round a local NT garden this morning with friend's ailing dog - in a wheel chair. Apparently not that unusual.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Petronius wrote:...with friend's ailing dog - in a wheel chair. Apparently not that unusual.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Am I the only one who can see a face in that avocado.....?

It has four eyes.............

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:12 pm

The very top bit is a perm, not eyes...

Postby jeral » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Am I the only one who can see a face in that avocado.....?

It has four eyes.............

Hmm. It's not a myth that we see faces in things (Man in the Moon at the mo) and I see many in the random "splosh" design of my bathroom lino - they're just there (according to my brain's attempt to create order from chaos).

On that basis, I see two (four actually) faces in the avocado. A top one, two eyes and beak, on top of another with two eyes, nostrils and a rapaciously large mouth complete with the stone (its prey? or just eyes bigger than belly lol). The third is the identical twins of eyes and beak if you divide the eyes vertically, and the fourth, the spider on the left legs extended and casting a curlicue web around all of its capture. OK it's too late for me, just save yourselves ;) Sakkarin has (saved himself) if he doesn't see any...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:49 pm

Curiously, I only found out this morning that it's called "visual pareidolia".

There's some particularly good ones on Pinterest, or cut and paste the term into Google images search (I can't create a link, because it embeds my computer in the link):

https://www.pinterest.se/pin/529243393684100878/

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Sakkarin wrote:The very top bit is a perm, not eyes...

You are so wrong - just when did a perm have eyes...................hmmmm ?

You'll be sorry when it comes to get you - you'll wake up one morning & it wont be a horses head on the pillow next to you - it'll be The Jolly Green Avocado - & that mouth screams when it hasn't got a big stone in it...................oh yeeessssssssssss!!

Jeral knows..................

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Purple perm :gonzo

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Now you've gone & made its eyes bloodshot - or rather purple shot - & it's more evil than ever - don't make it mad!!

Mwwwahaha.............!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:18 pm

You would be mad if you had that stuck in your gob.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox