Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Renée » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Looks fun! What a shame you missed it, but you don't always know what's happening in your area.

Postby Renée » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:21 pm

They're Lottery funded by the Arts Council, apparently. I've just been reading this:

http://www.ettaermini.com/productions/

Postby QinNortham » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:49 am

Hello All. Been reading but not posting, nothing wrong just not quite in the mood - more of that in a moment.

We have been in North Devon for a year this week and are having a "bit of a do" on Saturday, only about 10 people including us but all of them are rather foodie so want to impress!

The "not quite in the mood" thing is getting me down and any suggestions will be gratefully received.

My elder step son is getting married next year, the BH in early May. They, read his fiancée, have chosen a country house venue in the middle of nowhere in Wales, very expensive. It's one of those places that is hired for several nights, no catering provided, although sounds like well equipped kitchen. It looks charming but not all the bedrooms are en suite and I've got to an age where I'm not wandering round in the middle of the night trying to find a bathroom. We suspect that the en suites will be allocated to the fiancée's family and friends. The fiancée and I DO NOT GET ON, she'd probably be delighted if I didn't attend. We have no idea why "they" have gone down this somewhat "posh" route given the bride to be turns her nose up at any suggestion of style, dressing well etc.

We are not contributing to the cost of the wedding on the basis that they were given a very hefty sum as a deposit towards their first flat. They sold that last year making a large profit after 2 years. Fiancee's family made no contribution although we understand they were in a position to do so and we were originally told they would do same.

ESS is now fretting how HE will provide breakfast for 32 people on 3 mornings - doesn't seem to have given any to consideration to food on the evenings other than the wedding which I presume will be catered. The nearest shop is over 2 miles away and the nearest supermarket about 1 hour.

My friend J attended a similar sort of wedding in Scotland and she said her cousin, mother of the groom, was worn out before the actual wedding.

I don't want to be awkward nor unhelpful but ................ their choice, their logistics, they are in their early 30's.

Rant over and please feel free to shoot me down and or ignore.

Postby Petronius » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:42 pm

Oh QinNortham, I feel so sorry for you and hope that by telling us about how you feel will somehow lighten the load so the 'not quite in the mood' starts to lift.

Families eh? And weddings! There's plenty that go well and a goodly number that don't. I don't feel qualified to give advice but we both know how we feel about not having an en suite - it's one thing finding a loo in the middle of the night in a strange place but what happens if it's occupied? And by someone who has drunk a bit too much and ... I'll not go there. :twisted:

I'd certainly ask your husband to get in touch with ESS about the possibility of an en-suite so at least you know the score. Are there any hotels nearby that you can book for yourselves, even if they're some distance away? If future DiL is not keen on you, I'd think I'd be tempted to make sure I turned up!

However, the weather is looking good for this weekend, try to concentrate on that so you can enjoy the company of people who do love you. There's plenty of people here who will give you lots of good ideas.

All the best to you and your husband.

Postby QinNortham » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Petronious, sage advice.

Such a difficult situation. Bride to be (V) has never liked me and don't know why. Right from the outset (9 years next May) I tried to be friendly, accommodating etc, etc but no. She perceives me as a stuck up posh cow - I'm not! Why someone who dresses in the sort of clothes Oxfam would reject wants to spend over £5000 to hire a venue before spending on the wedding meal, registrar, flowers etc I do not know.

Last year just before we moved from Kew we had a call from ESS. V's Father & his new partner (parents divorced but get on well) had tickets to go to something at Twickers along with ESS & V. V then purchased a ticket for Mr Q to along as well so "Mr Q , her Father & new partner could bond". No mention of me, Mr Q and I have been married 18 years, I've been more or less been ESS's mother from the age of 14. Can you imagine the hurt? Thankfully we were already booked to go to Brighton to have lunch with younger step son so Mr Q had to decline the invitation.

I'll post the menu for Saturday soon. Nothing exotic but hopefully delicious.

Postby Uschi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Q, don't let it get you down!!!
I think your OH should quietly seek a word with his son alone to sort out the en suite situation.
If it's not to be resolved, then look for a nice hotel. You'll have your peace and quiet there and you will be harder to draft for the cooking side of things. Maybe her side will take that in hand?

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Q, Uschi gives good advice. Book yourself into a nearby hotel or decent B&B and let them get on with it.

I have an ex(thangoodness) D-I-L who declared we were too posh, too bossy and too far away. The fact that she was utterly under the thumb of her very (too) close family has meant that we haven't seen our GD from that marriage for 12 years.

You can't choose your family but you can choose your friends.

I bet the party on Saturday will go really well.

Postby Renée » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Q and you have been given some excellent advice. A different hotel would be a good idea, so that you can keep as far away as possible. It would be good if you could come up with a reason not to be involved with any of the catering. It really doesn't seem fair that you're expected to help with this, especially as they seem quite a strange lot.

Enjoy your party with friends on Saturday.

Postby QinNortham » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Thank you all for your support, was starting to think I was being unreasonable.

On first meeting V seemed like Minney Mouse, boy was I wrong. Actually on the occasions we've met her mother, who seems thoroughly pleasant, V has been horrible to her too. I'm a bit of a stickler on the good old "please & thank you" business. V doesn't seem to know these words. In the early days I bought her Christmas & birthday presents - I had to call her to check they had been received so I stopped buying.

I've had a look at hotels in the area with not much success and neither of us will drive after a sniff of the barmaid's apron - suspect we will need more than a sniff on the day. I daren't tell what V's grandmother said on first meeting ESS which horrified me but seems the family thought it awfully funny.

Joan, how very sad you don't see your GD. Rather think we will be put in the same position.

Will post the simple menu for Saturday tomorrow.

Postby Uschi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:24 pm

Are there any self-catering uinits nearby? Or maybe another site will have something yet.
I don't know about the area, but over here a taxi can be had even in the sticks, especially if one books in advance.

Postby QinNortham » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Uschi, I very much appreciate what you've said but we have no intention of driving 5 hours each way to self cater, the venue is truly in the middle of nowhere and I strongly suspect taxis will be more or less non existent even if booked in advance. Things will be sorted, I needed to have a rant!

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:57 am

Rant away then!!! :wave

Postby QinNortham » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 am

Uschi, you are a darling :clap

Menu for Saturday:

Jambon persille (bit of a cheat because the ham will come cooked from excellent local butcher, home grown parsley) served with crusty bread, unsalted butter & cornichons

Roast chicken thighs (boned but skin on), maybe some thyme or tarragon underneath

Assorted sausages again from local butchers

King prawns probably quickly sautéed with garlic and then dressed with lemon juice

My take on a Nigella recipe (I find I always need to tweak her recipes) She calls it Soft & Sharp Involtini. I use rice instead of bulgar wheat and add a few sultanas. Basically griddled aubergine which is then stuffed with a rice mix including oregano, spring onions and a few other things. Then baked in the oven in a rich tomato sauce

Simple green salad

Potato salad using Dave the Gardeners wonderful home grown new's

As I said nothing exotic but hopefully delicious :crossed

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:54 am

That sounds lovely QiN :D
What time did you say?

I need to get on with a load of things, but it is a nice day for a walk and there is Wimbledon on TV ....must do some paperwork

Postby Renée » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:04 am

What a lovely menu, QinN, with delicious food that everyone will enjoy!

Rain overnight here, which is good! I think that we've had quite enough for now. A class at the gym this morning and then will investigate Flickr.

Postby QinNortham » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:24 am

2pm is KO on Saturday, all welcome!

Was going to add tabblouth but thought we might end up parsleyed out, personally I love the stuff however I could stuff my face with Jambon persille & Mr Q's parsley is utterly wonderful. No BBQ, the smell makes me feel somewhat ill and I do wonder that things are properly cooked.

The people who are coming are those who have made us feel very welcome in the local pub. Strange mix but very erudite and know their food.

Have a good day.

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:11 pm

That sounds lovely and I am sure they will be over the moon with it all.
All that is left is to wish you all "guten Appetit!" :wino

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Q thats sounds a really well balanced tasty lunch. I adore jambon persilee. Our traiteur makes one to die for so I rarely make it any more.

Have a lovely lunch.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Having just come from the "Gluten free" thread, I read that as "Gluten Appetit". Doh. :-(

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:20 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Having just come from the "Gluten free" thread, I read that as "Gluten Appetit". Doh. :-(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what I think when I see some of the gluten free recipes.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox