Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Petronius » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:56 am

Really pleased for you Strictly, getting on with people always helps in any job. As for the baking, what a lovely thank you idea - they're going to love you!

Thanks for letting us know.

Postby Petronius » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 am

Jeral, the Sainsbury's packet mix is a world away from slow dough. It's selling point is that its quick. More importantly, there are plenty of people who choose to buy sourdough because it's easier to digest. Ever since the introduction of fast bread, incidence of gut problems has increased. I'm not suggesting there's a direct correlation but enough to make me suspicious.

Postby Renée » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:36 am

Strictly, I'm so pleased that you're working in such a friendly environment and that everything is going well! What a nice thought to take in home made cake and biscuits! Thanks for the update!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:38 pm

That all sounds really positive Clare, pleased to hear it's all going so well :wino

Trying to wake up, was out last night, but not late and just a couple of glasses of wine with lots of food, so not sure why it should have hit me hard

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:33 pm

I am and am absolutely sure your efforts were greatly appreciated. so pleased the new job is going well clare

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:45 pm

Good on yer, Strictly :thumbsup

On the Sourdough issue, look what I just found just down the road when I Googled "artisan bakery"! Every single one of their breads looks like it came off the pages of a magazine.

Click "long-fermentation" for the sourdoughs...

https://www.flourishbakery.com/products/#staple-bread

I got a "small original sourdough", for £2.50.

Postby Renée » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Aren't you lucky having that place so close to you! We have similar bread in Booths supermarkets, which are made by an artisan bakery in Cumbria. I am a little bit tempted to start the long process of making the "mother", which will take about two weeks, but I might leave it until after Christmas. I did this some time ago, but haven't bothered for quite some time.

Update: Booths seem to have changed their supplier to Bells of Lazenby:

http://www.bellsoflazonby.co.uk/our-pro ... an-breads/

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Doh, I am slow today. That bakery's name I read "flourish" as in "with a flourish of his hands the magician made the rabbit disappear".

I've just realised they probably meant it to read as "flour-ish". I suppose that is a word.

They also had very, very expensive individual cakes, £2 and up, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that.

What was interesting, given that it's deep in the bowels of a large industrial estate, is how many people were in the restaurant/cafe, clearly people who had specifically made the trip, rather than local workers.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:15 pm

I suppose flourish / flour-ish is a pun then :D

I just saw this in Morrisons. reduced, I wasn't tempted
They seem to have missed the point that tonkatsu is crisply fried chicken, not the sauce

Postby Petronius » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Sue, I'd be grateful for some help please with understanding some research as I don't understand the big words :roll: – I'll give context below – here's the conclusion,

“These results demonstrate the protective nature of fish consumption and DHA, found in high fat Western diets, operates at a low level of fat. This finding suggests the protective effect of fish consumption as validated by red cell DHA is universal. The protective effect is, therefore, most likely to be due to the fundamental properties of docosahexaenoic acid in cell function.”

At first reading it suggests to me that fish is good for us, unless 'docosahexaenoic acid' makes a difference.

The context is the research carried out in China in the 70's and 80's, 'China: Diet, Lifestyle and Mortality', a number of peer reviewed publications followed and this is one of them, Abstract only I'm afraid.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 3303000163

Is my interpretation correct – in terms this research?

Thank you.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:21 pm

I don't think the abstract is all that clear, but what they are saying is

1. Fish consumption in the West is known to increase the level of DHA (= docosahexaenoic acid ) in red blood cells

2, In the Chinese study, they found the same, which they thought interesting as the Chinese diets were much lower in total fat than the Western diet

3. High levels of DHA in red blood cells are known to be protective against cardiovascular disease in the West, and they found the same in this study, which had a decent sample size of 6500 though we have no info on follow up, which could make a difference

4. The overall conclusion is that eating fish is probable good for your heart, because of the increase in DHA, whatever other fat you consume

The caveat is while 6500 is a fantastic sample for a blood assay study, it's not clear to me if the epidemiology is based only on that sample (too small for that IMHO) or whether they also look at medical / death records county by county for supporting evidence (which is implied but not stated)

Postby smitch » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:27 pm

There is a lovely bakery behind Piccadilly Station in Manchester. Their bread is fab but not cheap, £3+ per loaf- they are pretty big though I'm not sure of the weight. Lovely pastries and brownies too:
http://pollenbakery.com/

We treat ourselves once a week to a loaf and a couple of other treats. Have to go on our way into work or they sell out by lunchtime!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:45 pm

I keep meaning to get to E5 Bakehouse, which is quite near me, you may have seen them on TV
I've had the bread and it is lovely :)

http://e5bakehouse.com/

Postby Petronius » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Thank you Sue, much appreciated, especially presenting in bullet point style that is easily understandable.

The study has high praise in some quarters though 6500 isn't that great a number for 1983 (I assume) when the Chinese population was about one billion.

The complete study was published in 1990 (?) but as it cost $172 then, I've not put it on my Christmas list!

Here is the only book review I can find from someone who seems to know what he's talking about.

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article-ab ... m=fulltext

Impressive research/survey but some weaknesses in design.

Thanks again.

As for bread, Sakks photo reminds of two stands at Taunton's Thursday morning market - too much choice.

Postby Renée » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:11 am

Hi Smitch, I know Piccadilly Station well, but I never explore the surrounding area. I hope that I get chance to visit one day.

Sue, what a fabulous bakery! It will be well worth a visit and there is a café too.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:03 pm

You never have to go far to get a decent loaf round here. Even if you didn't know the nearest town you would know the best boulangerie by the queue out of the door. People will drive past one village to go the the best baker,

As far as we are concerned there is only one patisserie worth going to in Town and that's where we order special cakes and once a mont we treat ourselves to an individual gateau each - they are well up to Paris standards, and prices €3.20 a go.

Postby smitch » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Renee, the street behind Piccadilly station is full of small businesses now. There are two fab breweries that open on a weekend, plus Pollen. There are a few more breweries and a street food fair that have opened the other side of Fairfield Street too- it is nice to see the area on the up as it has been a bit dodgy in the past!

Postby Renée » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks smitch! I do hope that I get the opportunity to visit and I'm so pleased that the area has opened up with some interesting places. Which area do you live in?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Well there's a love affair that ended almost before it began. I fancied a baguette from that Flourish place today, and thought I'd go before the lunchtime rush. Unfortunately it's in the bowels of a very busy industrial estate, and when I got there, there was already no parking available. Not just outside the place, but for a good half mile distance. I had to go home empty handed.

For the record, last time I went, I found a parking place outside an empty unit a couple of doors down from Flourish, but on entering Flourish, you are confronted by a sign advising you that if you're not in one of their spaces, you may get clamped. Result was that I spent the whole time I was waiting craning my neck nervously out of the window to see if my car was being clamped. Stress I don't need.

Maybe if I can fix my pushbike it will be an option to cycle (just too far to walk), but it is a bit cold at the mo!

Postby smitch » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:59 pm

I live in Tameside right on the edge of Saddleworth, but I work in Manchester so travel into the city centre every day. If you do visit Pollen Bakery, go in the morning, they are very popular! People queue for a long time on a Saturday for one of their pastries :shock:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox