Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:35 pm

dear oh dear.
I thought having my tooth pulled out by a slamming door was hardy.

Having trawled the barns/ markets/ emporiums for a table.
I'm left with a burning question.

Do these people never throw anything away? Honestly, some of the stuff wants chucking.

We've found the chairs we want on Ebay.
But not quite seen the table yet.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:21 pm

Gill, have a look at some of the better auction houses .

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:20 am

Funny your mentioning auctions, Suffs.
I could get wifi on the beach from out Cadiz hotel. Lovely! And thought I'd check up on my 1926 Rolex watch I put into auction with Fellows.
It sold so well, we changed our ferry and booked another 5 days at a spa hotel.

Good suggestion.

Postby Petronius » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:16 am

Gorgeous morning - cerulean blue first thing, with the vapour trails tinged with pale orange. And the sun's still out.

Thought I'd posted Saturday morning, but obviously not! Sunday BT Broadband went missing so ...

Toblerone? I don't do milk chocolate and the bits in it didn't add anything either. Didn't impress. I'd read a business section article about the company that produces Toblerone, and no doubt lots of other chocs, that mentioned the fuss and falseness of the media. I know I should get a life, but it does mean I've a bit more useless information in my head.

All the best with the table, Gill. Our Devon daughter's looking for one, Yorkshire daughter got one in an auction, it came with a huge sideboard, that no-one wanted so £25 for the two. Hubby had to get a mate to help into the house, fortunately they did have room and is a perfect fit.

Cheese? OH is a bit taken with a cheddar made by Godminster, worth a try.

Postby Petronius » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:24 pm

Suffs wrote:According to Ma, she had her tonsils taken out whilst lying on that table :shock:

Letter in today's i about someone's Dad having their tonsils out on the kitchen table. Must've been quite normal then.

Postby miss mouse » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Petronius wrote:
Letter in today's i about someone's Dad having their tonsils out on the kitchen table. Must've been quite normal then.

A friend of the parents had hers removed in the same manner, probably a child of the 1920s. It was a very fashionable op until the 1950s when it began to fall out of favour. Tonsils must be there for some useful purpose.

Postby Linnet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:07 pm

Tried to post earlier, but it disappeared!

My older sister had hers out on the kitchen table, but I was lucky (?) and waited until March 1949 and had them and adenoids out in hospital. But... next morning, breakfast was cornflakes or cornflakes, not the best thing with a sore throat. Still don't care for cornflakes!

Postby Renée » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:23 pm

That reminds me of when I had mine out and my cousin Roger was having his out at the same time. His first meal, that he asked for, when he came out of hospital was beans on toast! :shock:

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:40 pm

They do plain and white choc Toblerone as well, but they are hard to find in the shops

I sometimes make a Toblerone cake using a recipe someone posted on the BBC board, she was insistent you needed dark Toblerone to finish it but I've had to use milk and fortunately it works fine

Postby Luca » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Renée wrote:That reminds me of when I had mine out and my cousin Roger was having his out at the same time. His first meal, that he asked for, when he came out of hospital was beans on toast! :shock:

My brother had to have his out so it was decided I'd have mine (and adenoids) out at same time. Job lot! I think first meal in the hospital was ice cream. Very soothing but can't remember the taste!

Postby Petronius » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Gill, Points West reported areas of Cheltenham were without water - 20 schools closed - because of a burst water main. Hope you were OK, it's back on now apparently.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:27 am

Now that, Luca, is practical minded.
I've still got mine, but would probably have yoghurt afterwards, on reflection.

The thought of trying to eat cornflakes makes me shudder.

Dennis, please congratulate your daughter on being utterly spawny!
And thank you for your concern too.
Lots of homes here were without water, and some doc surgeries have postponed procedures (friend of mine was due treatment on her labyrinthitis).

We are two streets away unaffected, phew. I like my baths, a lot.

Postby Petronius » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:25 am

Linnet, that seems to happen to me – a lot. Perhaps I click on Preview and forget to click Submit, or the cursor isn't quite where it needs to be? Most of the time I do my own draft (and still make mistakes :roll: ) so it's not the end of the world.

'Spawny', now there's a word I haven't come across. Urban dictionary says it comes from golf. I'll slip it into a conversation sometime and see what happens. :D

Daughter lives in a large bungalow that inevitably has a large hall way to get to the various rooms. Always full of clutter including their computer desk. This dark brown monster has sucked everything in – apart from the computer desk etc. The opposite of spawning then? :idea:

Still got mine despite years of tonsillitis and quinsies – never had a problem once I started teaching. Weird.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:46 pm

I lose posts when I click on submit but it doesn't post in case I want to edit because the system tells me someone else has posted while I was writing

Postby Linnet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:52 pm

That's probably what happened - I noticed Miss Mouse posted at just the same time!

Postby Petronius » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:58 am

Did anyone see that Michel Roux - Snr - has stopped people taking photos of their food. Best not go there Gill, eh? ;)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:19 am

No, I never did see that, Dennis.
It's rather like going to a museum and seeing a beautiful piece. But taking pictures are not allowed.
I find it mildly frustrating, especially in Birmingham, where I saw a stunning ring from the Staffordshire find. But was not allowed to take a snap.

I once took a pic in a mirrored restaurant, and my phone flash lit up the room.
That was a bit embarrassing.

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Gill, I find that most museums are fine with photographs if you approach them first and explain that you're a painter and want a photograph for your 'sketch book' etc, and won't reproduce it as it is for financial gain ... you just need to speak to someone 'in authority' in the back office rather than one of the 'attendants' or whatever they're called.

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:00 pm

I think that sometimes museums and art galleries are concerned about people taking flash photography because of the potential damaging effect of the light on the object.

Postby Petronius » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:44 pm

St Peter's in Rome has no restrictions, because, we were told, all the paintings are micro mosaic copies. Seven year apprenticeship and apparently few want to do it anymore, a dying art.

Photography is not allowed in the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, but everyone ignores it - until the guards starting shouting.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox