Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:46 pm

I would always expect a fishmonger or butcher to show me the proposed thickness before cutting if I made a special request

My problem is getting calves liver cut into thick pieces, it comes in to the shop reduced to scraps not as whole pieces these days

Postby Renée » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:29 am

I'm away at the moment staying with man friend down south and we had a Hampshire pork loin joint yesterday from Tesco, with apple sauce, sage and onion stuffing balls, roast potatoes, cabbage and nice gravy. It was a real treat for Colin, because he doesn't do cooking. I usually make my own stuffing, but the ingredients were all good!

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Ooh Renée, that's a meal I could very happily eat (without the meat for me) as they're all my faves too. Good job too on using an alien oven. I roasted a chicken elsewhere once and did all the settings right except the On switch. Lunch was later than expected, shall we say.

I did some battered cod, so alas not turbot or halibut, with home made tartare sauce. No chips as saving space for date and lemon slice (traybake). <-- Late supper snack sorted :) It was a toss up between making that and a "healthy" version, which I'll make another time with oats and apricots.

PS: I quite like vinegar batter for fish so I had the bright idea of adding a spot of balsamic purely for colour to avoid that pasty blonde look. It worked well, but a spot really is enough.

Postby Petronius » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Starter at the Glass Boat, Bristol Harbour.

starter.jpg
starter.jpg (206.11 KiB) Viewed 5884 times

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 am

ooooo, moules.
How lovely, Dennis.

Happy eating, Renee. And enjoy your time away.

Nothing special planned her for a few days.
But I am making a sourdough pizza at the weekend. I got a horrible dose of food poisoning/ reaction for 4 days last time I had a Pizza Express.
So this will be the first pizza I've had for about a year.

And sunday, I've decided is sunday roast day.
We never have a roast on sunday, but this weekend it will happen.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:23 pm

I've currently got a pork and veggie broth type of stew puttering away in the slow cooker. We were supposed to be having a dull but dry day according to the weather forecast. We now have blue skies and fluffy white clouds so I may have to thicken it up and serve it as a fricassee with rice or pasta instead. Blooming weather but it's nice to see the sun again after the recent rain!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Haven't posted a bread pic in a while, so here's today's breakfast baps, I thought they looked quite pretty with their little slashes. I don't make bread as frequently as I used to, but still probably twice a week, I have it down to a fine art, 250g of flour makes these three generous baps in under two hours start to finish, using every trick in the breadmaking book.

Mung beans sokaing hopefully for Korean pancakes tonight if I can be bothered when I get back from work.

Now to dig out the bacon...

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Lovely bread there.
Bacon's a worthy addition. Do you butter or not (I do).

Tony's asked for a tagliatelle carbonara. I'll make that tomorrow. He picked up the brit bacon pieces in the bacon counter, but I switched the packet for lardons.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Do you butter or not
Yes, to excess.

Occasionally I buy the small warburtons toastie loaves just to overdose on toast and butter. No doubt it will catch up with me in the end.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Lovely looking baps there Saks!

an all day simmered spag bol here last night with linguini with everything thrown in - definitely autumn fare!

Warm chicken liver salad on Sat. - haven't done one in ages - forgotten how good it can be - with pancetta, blk pudd'n, beetroot, capers, small fried gnocchi, toms, salad, rocket & basil - lots of it! Ooomph......!

Have a pineapple & chilli salsa in the fridge to go alongside of some chicken breasts which are marinading in yoghurt/tandoori mix for tonight or tmrw.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:26 am

Love your buns, Sir! I mean.. Bread. That did not come out as I was expecting!

Lush - That chicken liver salad sounds delightful. Did it have a dressing of any kind?

Was in Edinburgh for the fringe with Tiff and some friends and in typical Scottish fashion, ate as much deep fried food as was humanly possible. Sooo, that means I am on lean protein and veg now until I go to Croatia on Thursday!

Tonight is Miso marinaded Tuna steak with an edamame, pak choi and aubergine salad with a soy, mirin and shiso dressing. Need something which can be knocked up in 20 mins as I am off to watch the might Albion play Accrington Stanley tonight as its only up the road from me.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Yesterday I made my favourite comfort curry - lentils with sweet potato. I think the combination is absolutely wonderful. Add a couple of tomatoes, lots of fried onion and garlic, an abundance of fresh green chile and voilà! I nearly blew my head off with the Panch Poran Potatoes, however. A bit enthusiastic over the fresh :shock: chiles.

Have yet to decide on lunch today....it`s getting late, the Fridge technician is coming, and I`m inclining towards a rapid pasta dish!

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:06 pm

I am working in Bury today, and conveniently it is market day. Grabbed a huge fillet of my favourite fish, Hake and bag of fresh mussels. Going to get some nice chorizo and some fresh crunchy bread. Will do a big pot of mussels in chorizo, samphire, white wine and parsley, will grill my hake. Nice summery dish, getting ready for my holi-bobs tomorrow :)

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Mussels, curries.......these are a few of my favourite things..............!

Hope that tuna was cut thick enough WFF - I'm still bearing resentment :evil: !!

Only a leeetle mustard vinaigrette on that chicken liver salad - it doesn't need much.

Accrington Stanley - now there's a blast from the past - The Lushly's team centuries ago :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:54 am

You're all eating fine food.

Foodie - have a great holiday.

Lentils, God I love lentils. Chillies too - what's not to like.
Lush, your salad was more exotic than mine. Rocket, parma, melon here. No port!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:48 am

Petronius wrote:Starter at the Glass Boat, Bristol Harbour.

starter.jpg

Petronius,

These mussels look wonderful ..

Have a nice day ..

:wino :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:50 am

Sakkarin wrote:Haven't posted a bread pic in a while, so here's today's breakfast baps, I thought they looked quite pretty with their little slashes. I don't make bread as frequently as I used to, but still probably twice a week, I have it down to a fine art, 250g of flour makes these three generous baps in under two hours start to finish, using every trick in the breadmaking book.

Mung beans sokaing hopefully for Korean pancakes tonight if I can be bothered when I get back from work.

Now to dig out the bacon...

Sakkarin,

Wow .. Lovely lovely bread rolls ..

Have a wonderful day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Minnesota Maven » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:12 pm

We're making our way through the fridge prior to going out of town next Friday....Just finished off the eggs. Now eyeing what veg/milk/yogurt needs to be consumed.... :roll:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi MM, I'm on a "Korean" food epic at the moment, and there's not much call for dairy, so as I have a regular milk delivery my milk is piling up in the fridge (as it often does), currently about 7 pints...

Anyway, today's dish is one of the "fusion" ones, so I'm not putting it in the Korean section. On the Torode series, he featured a kimchi-ish burger, and as I had bought a whole pound of mince for the dumplings the other day, but only used a couple of ounces, I thought I'd use my beef up on something similar, and use one of my latest batch of baps.

I found another "kimchiburger" recipe, which coincidentally predates JT's by 2 years, and ended up doing something halfway between the two, with a carrot/cabbage/kimchi coleslaw and a gochujang mayo sauce, together with JT's sticky coating sauce. Really tasty!

https://thecozyapron.com/korean-bbq-burger/
https://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/john-torode ... ib-burger/

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Since, I am in Montpellier, on the south western coast of France, I had some lovely Bouillabaise with Rouille ..

I asked the Chef at the Restaurant for the recipe, and he was only too proud to give it to me ..

So, I shall be posting this classic fish and shellfish stew .. within the next few days ..

All my best for a lovely evening ..

:wino :wino

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox