Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Sunday 24th September:

Today I am preparing a beetroot, uncultivated Eduli Boletus Mushroom and Puy Lentil Bourguignon which hails from an old edition of the London Times Magazine dated June 1st, 2013, which my mom had saved for years because we are big fans of beetroot and seasonal local autumn mushrooms from the Catalan Pyrenées.

It is a vegetarian dish prepared with French Burgundy, carrots, shallots, onion, fresh beetroot, 2 varieties of local mushrooms, vegetable stock homemade, minced garlic, tomato paste from San Marzano Tomatoes, salt, freshly ground White, Green, Rose & Black peppercorns, Puy French Lentils, bay leaves, fresh thyme springs, fresh minced parsley and arrow root 2 tsps ..

It is quite amazingly lovely ..

For carnivores, one can add beef stew meat.

I serve it with a home made Focaccia with Rosemary and Italian Evoo or rustic country bread with Evoo & sea salt to dip and a glass of Prosecco or local Rosé from Navarre or Penedès or a Rosé Cava ..

Have a lovely day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:12 am

Yesterday's lunch was utterly delicious.

Our friend has done a wonderful job with both the food and ambience in this restaurant which opened in early summer.

His new autumn menu was so tempting we had real difficulties making our choices. He sources most of his fresh ingredients locally, indeed he had been up early to go to the local Sunday farmers' market

I started with petit gris snail kromeskies on a wild mushroom and aubergine broth. M had butternut squash veloute with a croute of wild mushrooms.

We both had turbot for the main course which was served with a barley risotto with Swiss chard and tiny artichokes.

Dessert was a chocolate and mint timbale with a licorice foam and mint ice cream for M. i had a pear and lavender honey soup with berries, figs and pink grapefruit all topped with a grapefuirt and a fig sorbets and served with a warm honey madeleine He gave me the recipe for the soup :clap

Today I am planning a caesar sald with avocado therein.

I have a shoulder of local lamb to slow roast for tonight and we'll have a spiced aubergine and tomato tian to go with it.

I

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:51 am

All sounds fabulous Joan, except the liquorice foam made me wince...

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Joanbunting,

Sounds quite wonderful especially the lavender dessert with grapefruit, figs & honey !

May I ask, could you please post the name of the Restaurant, the website or the exact address and name of the village that the restaurant is located in ?

Thank you and have a lovely day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:25 pm

Monday:

My email and paperwork day ..

So, a break for Nigriri & Sashimi at 14.30 is on the itinerary ..

Shall be working up in Gerona, The Costa Brava & Lérida for the month of October ..

Have a lovely day ..

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Unfortunately Mannu has not yet got round to having a website. I have been encouraging to do so soon, if for no other reasion than flagging up his latest menu, which he changes frequently.

This link might help

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... _Azur.html

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:28 pm

I went to a local Sri Lankan takeaway for the first time last night, to try their Masala Dosa, but spotted a "Friday Night" veggie special which looked interesting and only £6, so went for that, although I had no idea what I was going to be served from the description (in the pic).

Here's what I got, clockwise from the top, it included several "first time" ingredients and dishes:

Methuvadai: savoury doughnut
Aubergine Curry
Tindora Curry (a first, although I've seen them frozen in Tesco)
Rasam: tamarind/chilli soup
Daal
Guvar Bean (?) and Chana Dal Curry
Right: Payasam: (in carton) vermicelli and tapioca dessert
Poppadum

Postby Petronius » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Salmon with a slight difference. A few weeks ago I experimented with freezing cooked rosti potatoes. Next time we had salmon added one to the plate, cooked again in the oven alongside the salmon. Plus some roasted bread crumbs with fennel (left overs and frozen). All worked a treat.

salmon.jpg
salmon.jpg (228.35 KiB) Viewed 5878 times

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:26 pm

I love rosti dennis - unfortunately M has completely gone off salmon.

We have had a musssel fest this week. moules frites on Thursday and mussel chowder last night.
Tonight we are having calves liver and bacon - think I might just make rosti! I am planning an oat and almond topping for some plums poached in red wine and spices.

I am entertaining tomorrow lunch time. I have already made some potted shrimps.
A friend bought me some wild rabbits earlier in the week so I am preparing the filling for a Northumbrian style rbbit pie with balck pudding, bacon, mushrooms and baby onions. Tomorrow I'll top it with suet pastry with a ittle mustard and some sage.

Dessert is alredy made my chef friends recipe for pear soup which will be served topped with berries and pomegranate seeds, an almond tuille and a small scoop of pear sorbet.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:46 pm

Well, I've been away to Hungary with a flying visit to Zagreb so I have been eating goulash and langos (fried ultra light dough topped with sour cream and cheese) and cevapcici (kofte by any other name, but beef)

Went to Andi Oliver's restaurant for lunch on Thursday, it's a brunch café by day and a "proper" restaurant by night, I had an energy bowl which doesn't sound too promising, but was very good, you get to choose a lot of the options, I had perfectly cooked quinoa topped with a number of different veg all cooked and seasoned / dressed separately, a bit like a western bibimbap. It was topped with Caribbean style salt cod and prawn cakes and a tahini-garlic-maple dressing. Also got a brief chat with Andi, who like everyone off the telly is smaller that you expect (really, I'm 5ft 5½ / 1.67 m, and I look down on the top of her head) Definitely going back for dinner. I've known the building for over 30 years, and she has done it up very wel, letting in the daylight and lovely accessories.

Last night I made a Korean kimchi stew (Jjigae) to use up a jar of kimchi that had been open a while. I more or less followed this recipe
https://mykoreankitchen.com/kimchi-jjigae/

But I used dried shiitake and I mixed the base seasoning with about 2/3 of a cup of water before pouring in, as I couldn't see the point of messing around with a teaspoon (and I think other recipes do this). Took a little loner to cook the meat to my taste than the stated 15 minutes
A good supper, but the kimchi was actually less noticeable than I expected!

Postby Petronius » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Joanbunting wrote:I love rosti dennis - unfortunately M has completely gone off salmon.

So? ;)

First time we've had them with salmon.

Liver, usually do mash but see no reason why not rosti.

Moules? Bliss.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Saturday 20.30:

I am going to use my last bag of Fregola (frégula, a Sardinian Pasta made from Semolina which resembles Israeli Couscous with its 2 inch to 3 inch balls) in a salad, that Renée provided the link for on my " Say Cheese " post ..

Absolutely, an amazingly stunningly gorgeous salad ..

Today, we went with my dad and our twin sons fishing and father in law, so it was fresh shellfish at the Vieux Port, Marseille and it will be the fresh catch on the Spanish side of the Mediterranean ..

Sunday: The Frégula Salad and fish .. We had caught some daurade ( gilt head bream ) and some sea bass (bar ) and also some Saint Pierre called John Dory ..

Have a lovely evening .. and weekend ..

Postby Renée » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:55 pm

Alexandria, I am so pleased that you enjoyed Ottolenghi's beautiful salad! You are so lucky to be able to go fishing and it's a very relaxing way to spend a day. You had a good catch!

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Sakkarin, that's a very interesting-looking Sri Lankan dish.

I have a lot of catching up to do and recipes to try after my friend has returned home on Wednesday.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:16 pm

How was your Sri Lankan plate, Sakkarin.
I've been there, and whilst their food is spiced as it would be from a spice island, it is not spicy.

Joan, I'm in the same boat.
Whenever I mention salmon, I get a screwed up face. Unless it's as a lattice pie. Dennis your salmon dish looks super.

Welcome back, Sue.
You've just reminded me that ShotleyGirl gave me a goulash recipe, that was delightful. Simple ingredients, short list, that cooked beautifully.
I did have the Hungarian paprika I seem to remember.

Well, I've been out every night for 3 weeks. I'm knackered. The healthiest thing I've done is drink decaf coffee ;)
And have come back with lots of ideas for meals. One being prawns wrapped in cucumber, yoghurt mint, dill, on wakame. With sesame oil - not too much.
I have the photo, and think I can carry it off.
There were little bits in there too, that I think were fresh apple squares. But sometimes it tasted like melon. Probably both.

Bit of micro salad on top

Postby Renée » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:58 pm

I would enjoy that, Gill! It looks lovely and light.

Postby Luca » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Some lovely looking and sounding meals. I must make more effort to cook different things... and make the time.

Antipasti of artichokes, sun dried tomatoes and peppers, various olives and capers for supper. Probably followed by boiled eggs which are something of a staple in my life!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Hardly haute cuisine, but sometimes I crave an egg and tomato crusty roll, with sliced egg, sliced tomato, salt and loads of white pepper. Now you've mentioned boiled egg, it's set me off, I'm going to have to go to Tesco and get a crusty roll...

I was going anyway, so you need not feel guilty.

Postby Luca » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Sounds good! I do actually have the ingredients too and it will make a change, so thanks. Had I not had a crusty roll I'd have to go out. Phew! Pity I can't sling one your way. 8-)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:42 pm

No crusty rolls, just rows and rows of soft pretend bread for feeding ducks.

I'll have to get up early tomorrow and bake some fresh as right now I can't be "bothered".

Postby Renée » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:07 pm

The part-baked rolls are a good idea for emergencies, such as when you just need one! :lol: They seem to have a good shelf-life too, until you open the packet. Some of them are made in France.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox