Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:55 am

Get better soon, Papa Alexandria!

Clive, those croquetas look fabulous.
I made carrot ones once. I do prefer them meatless if I'm asked to choose.

Mamta, excellent cooking there. Parathas are so surprisingly tasty.
They are an effort that is so worth it.
Underdone bread is perfect for toast anyway! That goes for cleverly photoshopped bread too ........

I had spaghetti bolognese last night, whilst wearing a white jumper. Not a single splash on it.

Postby Mamta » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks Gill.
Parathas are easy for me, after cooking them for 50 years ;)!
Not much cooking going on in my kitchen at present, just some simple meals. We have both been down with this nasty bug, not a virus this time. A few friends have had it. One developed Pneumonia and died. Another developed pneumonia and then had a heart attack, but now back home after a stent surgery. We are getting better, but slowly. Feel so drained and old. fed up :roll: !
Everyone, keep warm and stay away from infected people, if they don't have the sense to stay at home themselves.

I just went out to clean and salt a little path in the back garden for our old Millie (16 1/2), so she can go out for a p.. etc., without freezing her paws. It was also to feed the birds and put some fresh hot water in their water tray. My fingers and feet were frozen! I must be getting old :roll:

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:50 am

warming and hearty food is on the menu for us this week. I've got leftover minestrone/pasta e fagioli for lunch today. I may give it a Mexican twist when I heat it up! It's chicken noodle stir fry tonight. I've decided to stay at home today. I managed the garden path OK bu the snow on the ground around my car had frozen solid. I got half way around the car and thought 'nope' and went back inside. Work have been contacted, and one of our Departmental Managers said 'Don't even think about coming in if you can't tomorrow'

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I had spaghetti bolognese last night, whilst wearing a white jumper. Not a single splash on it.

I'm very impressed Gill - I'm the sort of person that gets spinach between my teeth even when I've not been eating it! :lol:
I'm snowed in at the moment - have been since Tuesday. I live on a very small but very steep cul-de-sac and I've had a lot of fun watching various neighbours trying to drive out with absolutely no success at all! I've lived here for 29 years so I know just what's it's like when there's snow. My car is a 4-wheel drive but as it's a sports car, it's got little clearance under it so the snow is too deep to even attempt to move it. Fortunately, I did quite a big shop on Monday and I always have good stocks of food etc so I'm happy just to stay at home. I hope the snow goes by next week though as I'm waiting for the chemist to deliver my medications and I'll start to run out of some of them by the middle of next week.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Thank you Gil The Painter ..

Now Mom has a bit of a sniffle here and there !

Lunch Thursday:

A coca, which is a Mallorcan rectangular Pizza without cheese .. Prepared with fresh herbs ( basil, thyme sprig and rosemary sprig ) and tomato, Evoo and Italian proscuitto ..

Simple and hit the spot ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 am

Sunday: Cannellones stuffed with fresh spinach and home made Ricotta from fresh goat´s milk ..

Monday: Left overs from Sunday. Working from home today, so I shall also prepare a rocket, radicchio salad with Italian Evoo and Modena Balsamic Vinegar .. And some Pear shaped red ripe tomato. Simple and refreshingly light ..

Tuesday: Lunch meeting at a fave Japanese, so Nigriri .. And Sake ..

Have a lovely day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Alexandria, how do you make your cannelloni tubes please (just the tubes as I'm on the lookout for a wholly vegan filling)?

In the past, I've used pasta sheets, then filling on, then rolled up like sausage rolls and snuggled in the dish. I imagine you use fresh pasta sheets and plenty of liquid in the sauce to cook it properly; it's virtually impossible to rectify uncooked pasta.

Ta.

Postby jeral » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 pm

A fresh mackerel, baked with lemon and herbs yesterday, which was good and I scoffed the whole thing, unusually, so no left over pate for lunch thus will rattle up some humous instead. Probably eyes bigger than belly because it's been hearty soup here for a couple of days as water supply either off completely or dodgy; soup generates minimal washing up of course and is good use of bottled water. How they manage ongoing without water in war-torn countries :(

I fancy lots of fresh veg today in a stir fry as pak choi still good here, to which I'll add a splash of fish sauce which I gather from Saveur US is growing in favour. There are a few fish sauce recipes on this site, which is probably worth a gander generally: http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe ... fish-sauce

Saveur article here: https://www.saveur.com/best-fish-sauce-recipes

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Eggs Benedict for breakfast, after seeing it featured as an elimination round task for the final 6 on Masterchef USA.

Best shaped poached eggs I've ever made, but slightly undercooked (I can't say that I've poached more than a dozen eggs in my life!), and the sauce was verging on mayonnaisy, but tasted good.

Postby Mamta » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 pm

Eggs Benedict for breakfast, after seeing it featured as an elimination round task for the final 6 on Masterchef USA.

Looks lovely, that breakfast :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Hungary now sooooooo want that eggs Ben............ :yum

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Wednesday: Catalan Spinach with dried fruits as a starter, and the main Pisto Manchego with hard boiled egg slices on top, which I prepared and had at office .. :crossed :crossed

Thursday: Nigriri - a fave venue close to office, with remarkably outstanding Japanese .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Sakkarin,

Looks terrific ..

Great for a Sunday Brunch ..

:crossed :crossed

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Thanks for the thumbs ups! After making Sunflower's 'Pork with Fermented Beancurd' recipe the other day, where Lap Yuk is an optional addition, I wondered about making Lap Yuk from scratch. I found several recipes online, and set out to make some. However I found out also that as always, Sunflower has already tackled the subject in her blog. Here's Sunflower's Lap Yuk recipe, although I made mine slightly differently:
http://sunflower-recipes.blogspot.co.uk ... bacon.html

Pic 1: Day 1 - Belly pork in the curing mix, refrigerated and turned daily for 4 days.
Pic 2: Day 4 - Hung up to dry for 5 days.
Pic 3: Day 9 - The final Lap Yuk.
Pic 4: Served very simply with steamed rice (the lap yuk is just thrown into the saucepan when you cook the rice, and is ready when it is). Yum! Has the sweet savoury taste of Chinese sausages, which I love.

Click thumbnails for full pix

Image Image Image Image

Here's the original Pork with Fermented Beancurd and Lap Yuk dish I made back in 2009 from Sunflower's recipe, the Lap Yuk is the dark bits: http://carta.co.uk/foodpix/porkfermcurd02.jpg

Here's some store-bought Lap Yuk I bought way back in 2007 when Sunflower first mentioned it on the Beeb Board, doesn't look very appetising. I've since bought more pleasant looking lap yuk, shrink wrapped, which looked more like my homemade: http://www.carta.co.uk/beebstuff/lapyuk.jpg

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:43 am

Saturday: Home made traditional Lasagne .. Simply a marvel ..

Sunday: Left over Lasagne .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Oooo I see what you mean Sakkers.
Those eggs look perfect. Nice one.

I had linguine last evening with smoked salmon, lemon, dill and cream. Bit salty!
I should have just use regular salmon.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Changed my pasta selection to home made Cannellone from Lasagne .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

We had lasagne last week and Saturdays is our " pasta day " ..

This was lunch Saturday and Sunday .. :clap :clap

Friday evening, we went to have Greek Mezze in Borne, very close to our apartment and Saturday night, we went for tapas with my parents, inlaws, two daughter in laws, and twin sons and two grandsons at a fave spot .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Yesterday we had the lunch which ended with the Passion cake featured on another thread. The menu included

Aperos: Cervelle de canut (a lyon speciality) and HM tapenade with toasts

Entree ; Smoked and fresh salmon rilettes with a dash of whisky and garnished with dressed asparagus spears served with rye toast.

Main: Veal marengo with a spelt (epautre) risotto.

Cheese: Incuding a lovely brie de Meux, a Camargue ewes milk cheese and some Ste Nectaire.

Dessert: Passion cake

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Our trip begins. A freezing start in Manchester and a showery welcome to Malta lead onto a lovely and warm Mediterranean afternoon.

We got to ferry from Cirkewwa to Mgarr on Gozo, and our nose lead us straight for a little place just set back from the fishing harbour.

I had my favourite pasta dish, Linguine Di Mare and Tiff had calamari fritti with spuds and veg. Delicious.

PicsArt_03-19-06.26.59.jpg
PicsArt_03-19-06.26.59.jpg (162.79 KiB) Viewed 3826 times

Postby jeral » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 pm

Ooh, a very good start, WhitefieldFoodie, leaving our snowy climes behind that is. The food looks pretty good too...
Looking forward to more piccies while you enjoy your lovely break and celebrations - plus good weather hopefully.

Joanbunting, as ever you do your guests proud, so for their enjoyment in your usual selfless way. *Star*

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox