Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Petronius » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:26 pm

We met friends for lunch at the House of Marbles, Bovey Tracey, on Thursday. An average pub meal but will never be forgotten. Two of us had chicken pie and I had steak pie. Came to the table plated with pie, potato mash and a small jug of gravy - except one of the plates had an empty jug. Separate veg. Not sure how anyone can do that but, they did. Profuse apologies and quickly rectified. I still giggle when thinking about it.

Place was very noisy - one large party and service was slow. OH had pork belly which was good.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:54 am

How odd, Dennis. But not a disaster considering what can go wrong with food.

Thank you Joan. Much appreciated.

I agree, Renee, Sakkarin you are a passionate cook.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:52 pm

"Obsessive" is the word that comes to mind!

Postby Pampy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:52 pm

I went out to lunch on Thursday with my brother, SIL and sister. We went to one of Nigel Howarth's places, where we've been before. It was very disappointing, I'm afraid. My brother ordered a black pea and chilli burger, which my sister has had before and loved. Both my sis and I ordered home made cheese and onion pie with chips and mushy peas and SIL had chicken and mushroom pie with veg. The burger was awful - very dry and far too much chilli even for my brother who loves them. The mushy peas were stone cold and had to go back to be reheated and the pastry was so salty that none of us could eat it. All in all, a great disappointment.

Postby Renée » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:03 am

Oh no, what a disaster, Pampy! I'm so sorry. I had a fabulous steak & kidney pudding at one of his places:

http://www.theclogandbillycock.com

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Sunday: Ready to go have lunch 14.00 - 16.00

Greek beetroot Napolean stuffed with feta mousse, pistachios, cucumber, fresh mint, fresh parsley & fresh dill ..

The main course was Olive studded Keftedes ( oval Greek meatballs ) dusted in an orange zest organic flour and sautéed ..

Some lovely Santorini Red wine ..

Served with hot pita ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Renée wrote:Oh no, what a disaster, Pampy! I'm so sorry. I had a fabulous steak & kidney pudding at one of his places:

http://www.theclogandbillycock.com

That's where we were, Renee - I live less than 2 miles from it so we go there quite frequently (I've been going since before it was owned by Nigel's company). We've found that the standards vary quite a lot - I think it must depend on which chef is on duty and also whether the manager is there. If he's not, the staff are less responsive than when he is there.

Postby Renée » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:09 pm

I'm not too far from there, Pampy, but live in Clayton-le-Woods. It's quite some time since I went there though with a friend who has now left the area.

Alexandria, what a lovely meal! The Greek meatballs sound really good, but I've never heard of orange zest organic flour. Did you grate the orange into the flour?

This morning I made Alexandria's Basque Marmitako. It was so delicious!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:06 pm

That looks good, Renee!

Just to show that I occasionally have normal food, I had pork chops with mash and carrots/kalettes yesterday, and enjoyed it so much I'm having exactly the same now, although I'm tweaking the marinade for the pork slightly. P.S. Kalettes from TESCO! And only 36p in the reduced section, so they're obviously not catching on...

Postby Renée » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:34 am

That looks so good, Sakkarin! What do you use for the marinade? I haven't seen kalettes recently. I did buy them and liked them very much until someone on here mentioned the price and I compared the price per kilo to a kilo of sprouts and I haven't bought them since! :o

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 am

I wanted an "instant" marinade (and just for one), so it's all storecupboard stuff. For the one in the piccy I used 1/2 tsp each of white pepper, Korean chilli, garlic powder and mustard (prompted by the mustard thread), a pinch of salt and a tbs of evoo. For yesterday's I added a 1/2 tsp each of tomato sauce and soy to those. I preferred the first chop, although it was thicker and juicier than the tomato one as well.

The mash had all the oil/juices/deliciousness that the chop gave out in it, and extra white pepper and butter.

I probably wouldn't have bought Kalettes at full price, but I have to say they were better than sprouts, delicious.

The reason I've not noticed them is that during my Korean fling I've only been buying specific veg, so not been rummaging around much in the rest of the aisles.

Postby Renée » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks, Sakkarin.

I loved the kalettes and might just lash out if I see them again.

Postby Pampy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Renée wrote:
I loved the kalettes and might just lash out if I see them again.

Have they upset you? :lol: :lol:

Postby Renée » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:34 pm

I would welcome them with open arms, Pampy ... maybe that should be with an open mouth? :lol: :lol:

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 pm

We had a lovely meal tonight at home. As i was working slightly different hours than normal to do some training today, I got up normal time and made a ragu bolognese to go in the slow cooker for some spag bol tonight. OK, so I didn't put either minced pork or veal in it but there was some bacon and red grape juice (with extra balsamic vinegar). Oh my word, the results tonight were incredible! We had it with some garlic bread. We both agreed it was the best ragu bolognese ever! As the sauce was a bit thin to start with, I finished it off in a saucepan, adding some cornflour in the usual way to thicken it up.

Pudding was some chocolate chip panettone, with a small amount of tinned rhubarb and custard, this combination also worked really well!

Postby Renée » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:16 am

Did you put beef in then? You're very inventive and I'm glad that it turned out so well!

Postby Alexandria » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:28 am

@ Renée,

1) Thank you very much .. Your Marmitako looks amazingly scrumptuous !!!!!

2) The Orange is zest oven roasted and then minced and / or grated into the Organic Flour which is put into a sieve and the Keftedes ( Meat balls ) are dusted, not dredged into the flour which is also salted to taste and a good grind of fresh black peppercorns ..

Henceforth, you have these absolutely heavenly aromatic Greek Keftedes ..

It is also a lovely way to sauté chicken cutlets or chicken breasts. One can use lemon, but I prefer the orange with meat ..

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask ..

Have a lovely weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:37 am

Friday 17th: To my surprise, my parents brought me some freshly caught Red Scorpion Fish which is very popular and called Cabracho in Spanish and Scorafani in Italian .. So, I am going to prepare an Italian dish called Scorafani in Guazzetto with is simply Scorpion Fish with Tomatoes ..

The ingredients are: Shallot, garlic, fennel with fronds, spearmint fresh, 1 crushed tiny dry cayenne chili pepper, parsley fresh, de seeded and peeled tomatoes and a shot glass of white wine ..

This is lunch for tomorrow ..

I am uncertain at moment for weekend, as we have several December birthdays of family members ( all Sagittarius except my husband and I ) so we are planning to do some shopping and shall lunch out on Saturday ..

Undecided as to whether we will do Lebanese or Japanese ..

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:45 am

Renée wrote:Did you put beef in then? You're very inventive and I'm glad that it turned out so well!

Morning Renee

sorry, yes i did put beef in! Yes, I am inventive cook whenever i come across a recipe that calls for an ingredient that we either don't like very much, or in recent times haven't been able to afford. Sometimes I have simplified a recipe to achieve a very similar result, especially when baking or making a casserole/braised dish. I once saw a magazine recipe for a Chocolate and Raspberry layer cake. However, the method for making the sponge was a bit of a faff, and very similar to a Sachertorte method. As Mr Strictly loves chocolate and raspberries I wanted to make it for him, so I just used Mary Berry's all in one chocolate Victoria sandwich recipe (my go-to one) instead. It worked just as well, if not better!

Postby Renée » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:52 am

Morning Clare! Chocolate and Raspberries sounds a lovely combination and I'm glad that Mary Berry's recipe worked well!

Alexandria, thank you for the method of making the orange flour. It's something that I haven't previously come across and one that I will certainly try.
What a lovely surprise about the Red Scorpion fish! Your meal will be delicious.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox