Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:01 pm

Rock eel is also known as rock salmon, it's neither eel nor salmon.

People who eat rock eel in England are often the same ones who eat real eels, either stewed and served with mashed potatoes or cold in jelly. They know that rock eel isn't really eel.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Alexandria wrote:Badger Mate,

Goof Morning, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Tope Shark has no resemblance to an "eel" .. Tope shark looks like a baby shark .. :lol: :lol:

It is called Cazón in Spanish, Milandre in French, Hundshai in German, and Perna de Moça in Portuguese .. In Basque it is called Gelba and Catalan, Caço ..

Eel is called Angula ( Anguilla ) in Spanish and resembles a lizard like serpent like fish .. Sometimes called Elver or Common Eel in English ..

Yes, I like rudderfish or amberjack very much .. It is quite common in Mallorca and Sicily .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely weekend .. ( My great grand parents and grand parents were involved with the fishing industry, as they fished and purchased for their Hospitality Company ) ..

yes, we know what a Tope is to a zoologist
But in London fish and chip shops all these small members of the shark family are traditionally called rock eel or rock salmon because it sounds tastier than shark to most people

Which can be a bit of a problem because as it is hidden behind that name you don't know exactly which species you are eating, and not all of the tribe are sustainable. Fortunately an increasing number of chip shops are now committed to only using the sustainable species (take a bow Johnny, my local fish man, also a keen angler)

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Cazón in Venezuela is a very popular fish/shark/eel/thingy :lol: :lol:
It´s more like a dog shark over ´ere, but tasty all the same.
It´s prepared with a "sofrito" of garlic, onions and sweet chiles, then used to fill empanadas, or as a part of an Oriental breakfast dish: Cazón, arepa, grated white cheese, black beans, fried plantain, avocado.

Yesterday evening I came home famished. I´d had classes from 12 noon until 5pm. My wife had prepared what we call "oriental meatballs", from a newspaper cutting back in the 80s. Mustard, ginger, garlic sugar, soy and sherry go into the sauce - yummy!!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Rock salmon, yuk :-(

"from a newspaper cutting back in the 80s" - My copy of Fu Pei Mei's famous cookbook came with it's original owner's oriental recipe clippings going back to the 60s!

The Manx Kippers in Morrisons looked rather inviting, here with curried scrambled egg for brekkie. Tasty, but the whole house smells of smokey fish now.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:18 pm

I just love kippers. Of course the favourites are from Craster on the Northumberland coast. If I can get my hands on any these days i cook them in the microwave, with a big lump of butter. I never eat them with anything except bread and more butter but we usually have a pair each.

It took me ages to convince M that kippers were edible but since I always now take out the backbone after they are cooked he seems to be a convert.

A friend sent us 4 pairs for Christmas.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:45 pm

I have to be honest, I think you're right with just the bread and kipper, the scrambled egg was superfluous.

Postby Pampy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Manx kippers for me - with just granary bread and butter. My brother and his family are going to the IOM in June so I'm hoping for some when they get back (especially as I'm house and pet sitting for them!).

Postby DEB » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:26 pm

Have you tried "jug" kippers, it greatly reduces the smell

Jugged kippers: This is a traditional, and sometimes preferred, way to prepare kippers. All you do is remove the heads, then fold the sides of the fish together and pack vertically in a tall warmed jug. Now pour in enough boiling water to cover the kippers, put a lid or plate on top of the jug, and leave them in a warm place for 6 minutes. Then drain and dry them with kitchen paper, and serve on hot plates with a knob of butter to melt over each fish.

Postby Amyw » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Alexandria wrote:Badger Mate,

Goof Morning, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Tope Shark has no resemblance to an "eel" .. Tope shark looks like a baby shark .. :lol: :lol:

It is called Cazón in Spanish, Milandre in French, Hundshai in German, and Perna de Moça in Portuguese .. In Basque it is called Gelba and Catalan, Caço ..

Eel is called Angula ( Anguilla ) in Spanish and resembles a lizard like serpent like fish .. Sometimes called Elver or Common Eel in English ..

Yes, I like rudderfish or amberjack very much .. It is quite common in Mallorca and Sicily .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely weekend .. ( My great grand parents and grand parents were involved with the fishing industry, as they fished and purchased for their Hospitality Company ) ..

Everyone is aware of what an actual eel is and what it looks like , but there are common terms you are clearly not aware of that we use in this country . Didn’t think there was any need for laughing emojis as Badgers Mate is totally right .

On a different note this has me craving good old fish and chips now. Haven’t slept since Thursday as been working a night shift so a plateful of carbs and battered goodness sounds just the ticket

Postby Renée » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:09 pm

What lovely food you've all been having! Your thread about the meal that you had with family sounded most interesting, Alexandria. I know so little about the different types of fish available in other countries. The light crumb toppings would be really special. I must experiment mixing breadcrumbs with ground up toasted nuts, which would give good depth of flavour.

I enjoyed Chicken Marbella so much last week, so I made it again yesterday. The recipe includes, capers, olives, prunes white wine and olive oil. Delicious!

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:27 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

What a gorgeous chicken dish ..

Thank you for posting the photo ..

What exactly are your ingredients ?

My forebearers were in the outer-wear business actually .. They manufacturered fishermen´s outerwear; jackets, boots, uniforms etcetra .. My parents had turned the company into a hospitality supplier of products that hotels require, porcelaines, napkins, silverware, cooking utenils, cookware, bake-ware etcetra .. It was knowledge acquired from them and living on the sea with avid fishermen (my 2 grand-fathers, my dad, my twin sons, my husband and my father in law ), I have learnt all about the Mediterranean varieties predominately ..

I am a pescatarian 90% .. I do eat free range chicken, wild feathered game and duckling on occasion as well as carpacchio, steak tartare, venison, Iberian acorn fed ham and Proscuitto .. However, in limited quantities ..

Have a lovely lovely weekend .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:32 pm

Sakkarin, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Those kippers look fabulous .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

I agree with Joan, just some French style butter or French butter ..

I also like them with a Green Peppercorn Dijon Mustard .. which I serve on the side .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a nice weekend .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:48 pm

Badger Mate, Sue, :wave

There are so many uncountable names for fish and shellfish, outside of The Iberian Peninsula, Southern France, and Italy, that it is quite daunting to have to translate these names into Latin Species, so one knows what they are ordering ..

Thank you for your info ..

We have a rock fish from Cadiz, called: Urta, which is a large fish of elegant quality called: Blue Spotted Sea Bream ..

It is exquisite and very popular along the Cadiz Autonomous Region´s Coast .. It is baked with tomato, olives, White wine, Evoo, a bit of garlic and red capsicum or red bell .. Truly a stunning fish variety .. In France, along the Mediterranean it is called: Pagre à points bleus ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:13 am

Kippers. Cley smokehouse gets my vote. However I also like bloaters and buckling. In the Keswick Mill days I used to get a bloater from Norwich market on a Saturday for my tea. :thumbsup

Kippers with butter and crusty bread, bloaters with vinegar and crusty bread.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:04 am

Sakks:

My only knowledge of rock salmon as a kid was that we bought lots of it.

For the cat :lol: :lol:

Postby Renée » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:27 am

Alexandria, here is the recipe that I used for the Chicken Marbella. I used chicken thighs with skin and on the bone. the light sprinkling of brown sugar on the top works well, both with the appearance and balancing the flavours. I marinated overnight.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chicken_marbella/

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:44 am

For the cat

In which case you had a well-fed cat and were missing out on a treat.

Even as a child I used to despair at people who wouldn't eat something because it 'wasn't for them'. "that's what foreigners/toffs/Northerners eat".

I recall the original Reggie Perrin series in which he says his neighbours are middle class because they feed their children garlic. I don't believe the script was meant to be ironic or the main character a buffoon, like for example, Alf Garnett. To consume even slightly adventurous food was to attract accusations of snobbery.

I well remember being told at work once, "with all that garlic you eat you're going to marry a blooming Italian or someone from the sub-continent". Or words to that effect...

After a few decades, it's clear that attitude isn't confined to one locality or socioeconomic group.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:04 am

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you so much for your recipe, Chicken Marbella ..

Shall put this on the Menu for next weekend .. :clap :clap

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:
In which case you had a well-fed cat and were missing out on a treat.

Even as a child I used to despair at people who wouldn't eat something because it 'wasn't for them'. "that's what foreigners/toffs/Northerners eat".

I recall the original Reggie Perrin series in which he says his neighbours are middle class because they feed their children garlic. I don't believe the script was meant to be ironic or the main character a buffoon, like for example, Alf Garnett. To consume even slightly adventurous food was to attract accusations of snobbery.

I well remember being told at work once, "with all that garlic you eat you're going to marry a blooming Italian or someone from the sub-continent". Or words to that effect...

After a few decades, it's clear that attitude isn't confined to one locality or socioeconomic group.

I am with you regards to rock salmon/huss Badgers Mate. I used to love it as a child because there was just the one big bone to deal with. I would still eat it now given the opportunity. When it comes to food, I like what I like, no matter whether it's foodie or guilty pleasure, Northern or Southern, British or international, trendy or naff! :P

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm not sure why we used to get rock salmon rather than the flaky fishes when we had family fish and chips, was it cheaper back then? We were extremely impoversihed! All I know is I found it unpleasant as a kid.

I've no doubt there are ways of making rock salmon much more palatable than I found it 50 years ago, I'd be willing to give it a try.

I have fond memories of "sixpennorth of chips" though, wrapped up in newspaper. What a fabulous sustainable/recycling way of packaging it!

Our family cat in the 70s used to get fed coley, that was the cheapest fish by then.

The last cat I had (Ratbag, 1988-2001) would only eat bloody Chicken Whiskas, I so hated opening cans of that nasty stuff. I guess cats are even more picky these days with these "gourmet" single serving catfoods in exotic flavours.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox