Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:16 am

That`s about it, Sue. It`s a wonderful novelty product, but I don`t think I`d have it in my kitchen anywhere near as long a strawberry jam, mango chutney, etc.

Postby Petronius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:43 am

Hake last night with savoury carrot cakes and broccoli. Nice.

However, following discussions with the evening's washer upper, it's been agreed I will stick to simple things in future. Mess everywhere!! Bits of carrot, onion and flour all over the place.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:18 am

Bibimbap for me! :yum

Intrigued by your savoury carrot cakes, Petronius, more info please?

Postby Petronius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Sakkarin – we've been having a bit of clear out, cookery books and gardening ones. Amongst the garden ones was a magazine, OH suggested I have a go at the recipe given in an article on growing carrots.

454g fresh young carrots
57g butter
Juice of one orange
113g shallots
Freshly chopped coriander (I used flat leaf parsley)
Seasoning to taste
85g flour
Vegetable Oil.

Twist off leaves, scrub carrots. Melt butter in a saucepan, add whole carrots and orange juice. Bring to the boil, simmer, lid on until tender. Strain liquid into a jug, allow carrots to cool.

Peel and finely chop the shallots, sauté in frying pan pan with a little butter and orange juice. Discard the top stalks, mash carrots, add to shallots, season, adding generous handful of coriander. Stir until evenly mixed. Divide into four and allow to cool.

Mould each portion into a ball and flatten.Dip each cake into the flour until firm and thoroughly coated. Refrigerate until ready to cook.

Heat vegetable oil in frying pan on a fairly high heat until it hazes. Fry each cake 2-3 minutes each side.
Garnish with coriander and sweet chilli dip.

The page we cut out doesn't give the date of publication, but obviously fairly old. Hence trying to be so accurate on metric measurements and I leave you to decide whether you want to heat vegetable oil until it hazes. There may be other things you want to change, is butter that essential? No idea.

Postby Petronius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Grumpy? Certainly was after making of a mess of those carrot cakes.

Cheered myself up by making this.

wholemeail loaf.jpg
wholemeail loaf.jpg (190.98 KiB) Viewed 5104 times

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:10 pm

Petronius wrote:Mess everywhere!! Bits of carrot, onion and flour all over the place.

I think you live in this house Dennis....................!! :mrgreen:

All these pics make me drool - everytime!

Well - in the Lushly house it has been swordfish with new pots & homepicked runner beans (not mine!) with chimchuri (sp?) on Friday - Sat. An Indian t/way - & tonight will be lamb meatballs & linguine - I'm usually ok with meatballs, but these seem to fall apart - even at the fridge stage - it may turn out to be a lamb sauce yet - watch this space !

Postby Alexandria » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Tuesday 5 / 9:

Sincé, I am off until Wednesday, I am going to prepare an exquisite Thai Pom Yum Poh Tag ( A Fisherman´s Tom Yum Seafood Soup ) ..

Just sourced the ingredients early this morning.

Have a wonderful day and back to my "Thai Treasure" and the kitchen .. :crossed :crossed
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:17 pm

After an entire summer of preparing an eating special things M today asked for "Nursery food". He saud his brain needs a rest :lol:

So tonight it is cootage pie with spinach and blueberry crumble and cream !

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:43 am

jeral wrote:WhitefieldFoodie, what's Grk? ('scuse ignorance).
I imagine it being good ice cold means sunny warm weather and in an idyllic setting too 8-)

Waterfalls are mesmerising aren't they in the way one's eyes are drawn to them.

Renée, tasty lunch. How's Charlotte now? Taller and older are a safe bet ;)

Grk is a grape variety synonymous with the island of Korcula. Its a great crisp white, served as cold as your fridge can get it in a cold glass with a big plate full of olives and some salty local smoked ham around lunch time.
Malvazija was however my favourite. Really dry and crisp with a low alcohol level, again nice and cold was ace :)

Actually I was pleasantly surprised with the wine in general. I had a chat to a wine shop owner who's dad was a wine maker in Dalmatia. She explained that they have to turn away many distributors as their vines do not produce the yield required to export when the demand locally is so great. Added to the fact that much of the vineyards in Croatia are organic/biodynamic and use fresh yeast, they have quite a low output in terms of bottles.
Last edited by WhitefieldFoodie on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:44 am

Joanbunting wrote:After an entire summer of preparing an eating special things M today asked for "Nursery food". He saud his brain needs a rest :lol:

So tonight it is cootage pie with spinach and blueberry crumble and cream !

Mmmmm, Cottage pie.

Can't wait till the autumn so I can start making big warming bowls of lovelyness.

Postby jeral » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks WhitefieldFoodie re Grk grapes and wine. It's interesting and impressive that much production is "green". I don't blame them for keeping it for themselves 8-)

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:37 am

Well its a tad chillier today than I am used to after my holiday. So I am doing a Propa Black Cuntraayyyy Grorty Dick with some crustay cobs.

Tomorrow will be rib eye steak with Papas Arugardas and Mojo sauce.

Doing a big Tagine for my work colleagues tomorrow for lunch as its somebodies birthday.

Enjoying having my own (half a) kitchen back!

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:46 pm

The cottage pie was love, I mixed in the potato topping and froze the rest to make a good old mince and tattie pie the next time we feel nursery food coming on.

I had a smallish local chicken last night which I cooked with tarragon and a cream and brandy sauce (Mere Michelle)
I served it with courgette and potato pancakes and grilled Provencal tomatoes. The carcas is now simmering for stock and I'll make the rest of the meat into a curried chicken and fresh peach salad tonight. Ive loads of eggs so I'm feeling a Breton Far about to happen.

Postby Renée » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:52 pm

What wonderful meals you're all having!

Petronius, I like the sound of those carrot cakes, but the thought of a lot of washing will put me off at the moment. I need a break from it at the moment.

Joan, Cottage Pie is real comfort food and I like to make it occasionally. I nearly always use tarragon with chicken, but how do you make the cream and brandy sauce, please?

Postby Alexandria » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:27 pm

WhitefieldFoodie wrote:Well its a tad chillier today than I am used to after my holiday. So I am doing a Propa Black Cuntraayyyy Grorty Dick with some crustay cobs.

Tomorrow will be rib eye steak with Papas Arugardas and Mojo sauce.

Doing a big Tagine for my work colleagues tomorrow for lunch as its somebodies birthday.

Enjoying having my own (half a) kitchen back!

To: Whitefield Foodie,

Good evening.

Do you do a chicken, fish or lamb Tagine (tajine in Berber) ?

I am a grand fan of fish or chicken Tagine ..

Have a lovely evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:48 am

Alexandria wrote:
To: Whitefield Foodie,

Good evening.

Do you do a chicken, fish or lamb Tagine (tajine in Berber) ?

I am a grand fan of fish or chicken Tagine ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Hi Alexandria,

A Tagine for me made with what ever needs using.

On this occasion is was 2 packs of chicken legs, marinaded in ras-el-hanout and some ground cinnamon. That is griddled for caramelisation before being added to a loose "Gravy" made with chopped prunes and dried apricots, tomato's, chicken stock, garlic, a red chilli, some more ras-el-hanout, a cinnamon stick, smoked paprika, a little ginger and turmeric then finished with fresh coriander and parsley, lemon juice, pitted olives and some flaked and toasted Almonds.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 am

I like lamb tagine with quince and the quince season is upon us!

Renee I brown the chicken in butter on all side and before putting it in the oven I flambe it with cognac or armagnac and add a little stock. Cook as normal then once the chicken is resting remove any fat then add some cream to the tin. It make a lovely rich sauce'

Tonight we're having boudin blanc with morilles so perhaps a morrilles sauce with them. I still have some dried ones leftI think that will need something green as a vegetable.

The Breton Far had to wait because M came in from the yard with a basket of ripe figs so I made a fig tart with themyard with them.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:58 am

Eating out tonight and tomorrow.
as Tony now is doing his 10K swim in the river Dart.

He's had his beetroot juice for extra zip.

We are staying at Buckfastleigh Abbey. We won't need anything too special in the evening, just something light from the hotel restaurant.
Tomorrow to celebrate, it will be a brasserie/ steak and chips meal at a restaurant back home in Cheltenham.

No more regime.

Postby Renée » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Thank you for the sauce information Joan.

What a wonderful visit that must be Gill! It must take 4-5 hours for that swim, I would think.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:42 am

Gillthepainter wrote:No more regime.

Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap

I detest regimes - hope you have a brilliant meal tonight - you do realize this means you're gonna have to get creative in the kitchen again?!?!
:mrgreen:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox