Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:35 pm

I had a three course lunch yesterday in Sicily, a restaurant next to Victoria coach station. Recommended if you are in the area.
Three courses £16.50, I had calamari, sea bream with cous cous and tomato vinaigrette, vanilla panna cotta with a caramel drizzle. With a glass of wine and service came to £23, bargain for Westminster, handy if going to theatres or Buckingham Palace or Westminster Abbey (we went to the Queen's Gallery)

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Sounds great Sue. Duly noted

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Oooh, absolutely gorgeous Dennis! I would have loved all of that and also wouldn't have bothered about a dessert! The chips look very posh, served in paper bags and no doubt hand-cut too! ;)

I was looking around the freezer section in Asda yesterday and noticed some triple-fried chips. No, I'm not going to try them.

You're all having lovely food and I always enjoy reading through. Your meal in Sicily was great value, Sue.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:31 am

Clive, I think your chilli sauce was better than mine.
All I could taste was the fish sauce I'd used. I always have a problem with it, fine when I open the bottle, but after say a month, I find it powerfully overpowering.

You forgot one of my all time favourites - garlic mushrooms too ..........

Nice bit of pub lunching there Dennis.
We are just about to go away for a jolly hol, and moules will definitely be on the menu. And chips.

Joan, I do like a veggie scotch egg. Probly more than the meaty version.
Put your feet up, and cool down now.

Ha ha ha. Jeral, I have moments like that. eg my chilli sauce. I've done it before (with freshly opened fish sauce).
I'd rather not make it again, than solve the mystery of why it didn't quite work.

Simple sliced beef joint yesterday.
With a carrot, tomato and white onion salad yesterday. Zing.
Quite refreshing.
And we've got those big wrinkly tomatoes in store now. They go a long way.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I had a three course lunch yesterday in Sicily, a restaurant next to Victoria coach station. Recommended if you are in the area.
Three courses £16.50, I had calamari, sea bream with cous cous and tomato vinaigrette, vanilla panna cotta with a caramel drizzle. With a glass of wine and service came to £23, bargain for Westminster, handy if going to theatres or Buckingham Palace or Westminster Abbey (we went to the Queen's Gallery)

Cripes.
That's quite a find in Westminster. Well done.

Postby Petronius » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:05 am

When I see what some of you cook at home it's little wonder you have lots of visitors. :thumbsup

Gill, that prawn mocktail looked just gorgeous - a typical Sunday tea/dinner for us.

Renée, yes but their desserts are just as good. Although not far, it is still a back country road so we rarely go there in the evening. It's a family run place that unfortunately doesn't change their lunch time menu.

Ten days ago in Paris with daughter. Back street restaurant, here's the menu

French menu.jpg
French menu.jpg (356.92 KiB) Viewed 7136 times

Off to meet a friend for a walk in a minute, I'll let you know my choice (with photos) when I get back. :wave

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:40 pm

I know what I would have chosen !

Postby Petronius » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:56 pm

I chose the Fricassé - delicious.

moules.jpg
moules.jpg (187.29 KiB) Viewed 7115 times

The veal liver - 'mashed' potato in the little pot was just lovely (shame I couldn't eat more) as was the sauce.

veal liver.jpg
veal liver.jpg (198.87 KiB) Viewed 7115 times

And finally the Clafoutis, couldn't fault the taste of the biscuit it seemed to be a Tuile one, didn't go with the rest. Lovely ice cream on top of the cherries which were fine, but nothing special.

clafoutis.jpg
clafoutis.jpg (259.27 KiB) Viewed 7115 times

Lovely Rosé wine, couldn't finish it as I'd eaten far too much, there was bread as well. It was a hot evening, despite the hotel's air conditioning didn't sleep too well that night. But it was worth it. Now I remember only the food! :thumbsup

Postby Uschi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Not just for today, but for the next weeks, too. Crispy cinnamon wafers (a bit like Pizzelle).

ImageZimtröllchen by natterjack3, auf Flickr

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Couldn't possible have managed three courses of that size. I would have gone for the Nage too followed by the strawberries with basil

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:02 pm

My word Uschi, those crispy cinnamon wafers look good :yum

I've just had that New Orleans classic, fried fish po'boy, using haddock dusted in flour seasoned with paprika and dried dill. It was the messiest thing in the world to eat but tasted heavenly! I must have made that photo of Ed Miliband eating a bacon sandwich look very elegant :lol:

I've got some chicken stock on the go in the slow cooker for use in various things over the weekend and early next week. I'll be cooking some pulled pork in the slow cooker on Monday in readiness for our wedding anniversary picnic on Tuesday. We'll be in Greenwich, London for the day; having a wander round the park (where we'll have our picnic) and then go to the O2 arena to visit the Star Wars exhibition that's on there until September. I really love that part of London, especially the Queen's House and the National Maritime Museum/Naval College

Postby Renée » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Those do look good, Uschi!

Your fried haddock sounds very nice, Clare. Have a wonderful time next week for your Anniversary in Greenwich. A picnic sounds a lovely idea.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Well, that slow cooker pulled pork was a triumph! I used some of it as a pizza topping tonight. Our picnic is almost ready, i just have to box it up with some lettuce and get the plastic cutlery out ready and then we'll be ready to put it in the cool-bag tomorrow morning before we leave.

We've got plenty of leftover pork for a couple more meals at least. And there was me thinking we wouldn't have quite enough to go round. :lol:. It's amazing how far a small pork loin joint goes when you shred it with 2 forks! That must be why the dish came about in the first place in the USA.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:41 am

Finally got my oven/grill back!

It has been a long time coming :P

PicsArt_1502347177487.jpg
PicsArt_1502347177487.jpg (86.61 KiB) Viewed 6814 times

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:26 am

Well done Stricters on getting so much from one joint. It's an admirable quality to be able to do that.
If I make something for the next day too, there's usually not enough remaining.

Pass the lemon, Foodie. Looking good.

Salmon cakes today - I don't do breadcrumbs on fishcakes - too filling.

Tomorrow I'll make some more round food = beefburgers, without the bread. Hand chopped, I find it's a bit stringy when I whizz it in the processor.
Just with a greek salad.

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Vietname style spring rolls for starter tonight, then mushroom stroganoff. I doubt there'll be much left over, so I'll save it to dilute with a spot of bouillon stock, add a few defrosted mussels and fresh ginger, then blitz into soup.

Smoked haddock yesterday with baby plum toms & sauté new spuds.

I've made pulled pork for a meat eater several times with a small boneless loin joint from the butcher. It's very satisfying to do isn't it? (Like when your YPs rise well.) It also leaves jelly if remaining liquid is then reduced down to save for future gravy.

WhitefieldFoodie, :)
Don't forget you're probably still needed outside the kitchen so it won't go down well if you can't resist squirrelling yourself away in it to ease withdrawal symptoms ;)
Last edited by jeral on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Well I bought fresh tuna for tonight, but heaven knows what it will be like, it was not my faithful fishmonger but another place - I asked for the steaks to be cut thick - I don't know what this chap thinks thick is but two of these are bordering on thin & one definitely thin grrrrrrr - I'll have to just show them the pan - literally - if I'm to have them pink in the middle - trouble was I took my off them whilst he cut & bought some smoked haddock for tmrw as well - I'm not holding my breath the tuna will be good - & massively expensive too!! That's not going to happen again that's for sure!

I don't usually breadcrumb salmon fishcakes either Grilly - just flour 'em or sometimes use semolina.

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 pm

That's just wrong isn't it Lusciouslush when you asked especially? I tend to watch my steaks being cut as thick seems unusual as I have to say "no thicker, thicker". Maybe because supermarket prepacked ones are sold wafer thin?

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm really annoyed Jeral & I'd go back with them if this place wasn't so far away - but I'll have something to say next time I'm in there which won't be for a while - it's not local.

As you say - people buy the s/mkt stuff really thin, so perhaps this chap tars everyone with the same brush - but it's my fault, I should have kept my eyes on him - hey ho!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:15 pm

grrrrr ruff ruff!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox